January 2016 Moms

Baby food.

124»

Re: Baby food.

• Totally wanted to say the same thing about being MIA @Snoopylovesbelle but it kept freezing. Probably another reason why some haven't been around as much. 
  • 012016 said:
    @Snoopylovesbelle I get that you're trying really hard to be snarky and occassionaly its appropriate and funny (like in the first page or so of this thread) but no one in the recent posts in the thread have said anything that could be construed at detrimental to a child's health. In fact most are showing caution and heeding common medical advice. I know we weren't cool enough for you to communicate with during the second and third trimesters but if you would lurk a bit instead of trying to stir the pot you might realize that joking about a deadly infant disease doesn't go over well with most people. 
    I'm very confused by this. Seriously? A deadly infant disease from
    handcream or Chapstick? If you're feeding your baby lotion or lip balm, there is a bigger problem than the honey. 
    True story that's the point I was trying to make. 

I have been around since the beginning and have had a reputation for good advice and some snark. A lot of us stepped back half way through because of the stupidity and constant drama from drive bys and trolls. It was not because anyone was not cool. 
    So wait, since you haven't been active on the boards in 30+ weeks that still makes you a regular? Silly me, I thought regulars were ones who contributed often and offered advice or support consistently instead of just coming back stir the pot 3 months after the babies have been born and call regular posters shitforbrains. 
  • Loading the player...
  • 012016 said:
    012016 said:
    @Snoopylovesbelle I get that you're trying really hard to be snarky and occassionaly its appropriate and funny (like in the first page or so of this thread) but no one in the recent posts in the thread have said anything that could be construed at detrimental to a child's health. In fact most are showing caution and heeding common medical advice. I know we weren't cool enough for you to communicate with during the second and third trimesters but if you would lurk a bit instead of trying to stir the pot you might realize that joking about a deadly infant disease doesn't go over well with most people. 
    I'm very confused by this. Seriously? A deadly infant disease from
    handcream or Chapstick? If you're feeding your baby lotion or lip balm, there is a bigger problem than the honey. 
    True story that's the point I was trying to make. 

I have been around since the beginning and have had a reputation for good advice and some snark. A lot of us stepped back half way through because of the stupidity and constant drama from drive bys and trolls. It was not because anyone was not cool. 
    So wait, since you haven't been active on the boards in 30+ weeks that still makes you a regular? Silly me, I thought regulars were ones who contributed often and offered advice or support consistently instead of just coming back stir the pot 3 months after the babies have been born and call regular posters shitforbrains. 
    Sometimes the truth hurts...
    STM - EDD June 24 '18
    DD - January 2016
  • I am clearly not a reg anymore but I know how all this works. And I call'em like I see'em 
  • My baby is constantly trying to bite/lick my hand so I was just was wondering about my hand lotion having honey in it- didn't mean to annoy you with my question @Snoopylovesbelle
  • Ljohn43Ljohn43 member
    I seriously wouldn't worry about her. The people who get on here to troll and be snarky instead of try to empathize and be compassionate / helpful are not worth worrying about. Her advice of only raw honey being bad was wrong anyway. 
  • 012016 said:
    I am clearly not a reg anymore but I know how all this works. And I call'em like I see'em 
    There's really no need for name calling though. You aren't in junior high anymore. Have a difference of opinion? Cool, express it in a way that gets your point across respectfully without name calling. Lurk around a bit and you'll see that many people have differences of opinions on the board and that we're all able to express those without resorting to petty name calling. Advice always has been and always will be to talk to your own dr or pedi but it's still ok for people ask those same questions to the members of this board. 
    Feeding your child before 6 mos and giving medical advice to others like some do, is not a "difference of opinion", it is dangerous. This is how this all started. 

Also, pretty sure that the last time I checked you are still fairly new to the boards while Snoop has been around for a few years therefore I'm pretty sure that she knows exactly how it all works, snark and all. 
  • https://www.inhabitots.com/cdc-reports-that-40-percent-of-babies-are-starting-solid-food-too-soon/

This is a short and sweet article about why foods should not be introduced until 6 months 

these milestones should be achieved before starting solids as well- 
    • Your baby’s birth weight has doubled.
    • Your baby has good independent control of his neck and head.
    • Your baby can sit up with just a little support.
    • Your baby can show you that he is full by pulling away when you offer food or by shutting his mouth.
    Otherwise your baby is at risk of choking 

Food until they are one is just to experiment. Babies should get all or most of their nutrition needs from breast milk or formula until then. Unless there is some medical need to start early and you have your doc's go ahead and a plan I wouldn't rush it. 

Plus baby poop and mess on food gets gross. Enjoy the tame poop while you can  :D
    Seems pretty helpful. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • l4rk said:
    Myelhsa said:
    Oh, you're a pediatric nurse? I didn't realize....
    Knock it off. She's just trying to help. If you disagree, then say so, but keep the conversations respectful. 
    I think that was because almost every. single. post of peds starts out with "I'm a pediatric nurse."

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • What is with old ladies telling me to put rice cereal in my daughter's bottle? Assuming i even give her bottles lol. I'd prefer to skip baby food and rice cereals completely. I don't understand the nutritional value of something like that versus breast milk or fresh produce once she's ready. It's driving me a little crazy that our parents generation just assume that she takes bottles all day. I'm excited to see if she likes avocado and sweet potatos as much as i do, but I'm curious about the benefit of introducing solids at 4 months. If any.
  • @mrsgetz4000 older people are alwayssssss asking when I'm starting baby cereal. Not sure what the obsession is with them lol
  • Making comments about the honey in honey nut cheerios is just looking for a reason to be sarcastic and stir the pot. I'd prefer to believe none of us are stupid. That being said, i think we all now honey nut cheerios are heavily processed and probably don't have real honey in them
  • @cali1710 i know! I had a family friend tell me she gave her boys rice cereal in bottles when they were 5 days old. What the hell. No. Why is that healthy compared to something a mother's body naturally produces for her baby? It doesn't even make sense. Every time i mention our nap struggles or that shes fussy I'm told by someone 50 or older to put rice cereal in her bottle. She's 4 months old and is 15 pounds. She has more then doubled her birth weight. She isn't missing any meals
  • ashleyandjodyashleyandjody member
    edited May 2016
    DH's grandmother mentions giving DD rice cereal EVERY time we talk! I love her dearly and she is an amazing woman, but I told DH she was driving me nuts about the rice cereal and hurting my feelings because it felt like she thought I wasn't making good choices for DD. Anyways, she visited us for Mother's day weekend and the whole weekend was filled with conversation about rice cereal and I finally broke down and told her we were skipping rice cereal completely! DH backed me up and I thought it was the end of that conversation, but now she's on to baby oatmeal....

ETA missing words

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • nackienackie member
    @ashleyandjody aren't rice cereal and baby oatmeal essentially the same thing?  Now I feel really lucky that none of our relatives are pushing anything like that on us.  My mom just asks what the new rules are since she know that things are different
  • @nackie Yep pretty much the same thing, but you can't convince her otherwise...

DH said I looked like my head was about to explode when she started mentioning baby oatmeal.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    My baby is EBF my mothers new bright idea is he fights naps because he needs to be introduced to solids. I can't. If I hear rice cereal one more time my head will explode. She also claims "baby's first food should be applesauce" LOL WHY! She means well and I love her but I swear she just picks something totally random and then insists its best. 
  • Lol. Applesauce? I like applesauce but that is a bit random. I'm excited to trt avocado. I eat them pretty regularly
  • KFrobKFrob member
    My grandmother actually looked at me like I was crazy when I mentioned baby led weaning, but not bc of this rice cereal/baby food/bottle craziness but bc she thought it was weird that what she did with her kids is seen as something new and had a fancy name. She just thinks that's the way all babies should be fed! 
  • Re: the rice cereal thing, my mom came down for her first visit and literally handed me a box of it as she walked through the door!  LO was like, 2 months at the time!  I was like um...no.  No thank you.  It's sitting in a cupboard where it will remain for the foreseeable future, haha.
  • mbud926mbud926 member
    #1- yes!! I have a big boy (20lbs, 26.5 in at 4 months) and everyone says he doesn't sleep through the night because he's so hungry--time for solids! Clearly, he's doing fine and bulking up on breast milk. My dr did say we could start cereal as soo as we wanted since he seems ready. Anyone else's doc say this?? I'm all for following dr recommendations but I want to stay ebf for as long as possible (hubbys side has obesity issues so anything I can do to help DS with healthy eating, I plan on doing even if the link n/w early solids & childhood obesity  isn't 100% proven).
  •  @mbud926Our pediatrician also encouraged us back at our 4 month visit to start cereal and then other foods if that went well.  He said only to give a little like two mouthfuls a day because it is not about them actually getting nutrients from the food but rather about developing a new skill. When I expressed some concerns about cereal, he admitted there is controversy over rice cereal because of how it is grown it can have trace amounts of arsenic.  We are going to do a different single grain cereal instead but I'm waiting a little longer - baby is just starting to be able to situp with assist and still has some difficulty swallowing vitamins although she is obsessed with watching me eat and tries to grab my food!
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    @mbud926 at my 4 month visit his ped also said we could start trying solids if we want but that it's just if we want too and doesn't really serve any nutritional purpose at this point. He's EBF also and she also said its perfectly fine to wait until 6 months if that's what I wanted to do, which I am! She did go over solids with us though and said we can introduce whatever we want first she never even mentioned rice cereal or anything of that kind she talked a lot more about fruits and vegetables actually. He's just over 16 lbs! 
  • My little one is 11 lbs at 4 months old. The doctor said we may try solids, to help her gain a little weight. We have been giving her solids for a few weeks now & she loves most of them! We're having fun with it & it's helping her gain a little weight. 
  • My son will be 5 months on the 26th. He has had rice cereal for almost a month and a half, we just recently stopped because it wasn't doing its purpose (keeping him fuller longer) he sleeps through the night but during the day he wanted to eat every 2hrs. 
    My dad gave him water about 3wks ago without my knowledge or permission - his pedi office says since it's so hot it's ok but it's not recommended until 6 months. 
    We did start giving him pear juice, he's a little constipated and that helps :) 

we decided to wait until 6months to introduce food to his diet, even though his pedi says we can start introducing it now- SO and I are waiting. 

• Ljohn43Ljohn43 member
    I talked to my pedi about this at our last visit. Her philosophy is that we should wait to introduce all food until he is 6 months and then skip rice cereal or similar altogether as they have no nutritional benefits for baby. That is what we're going to do. She also said to only introduce one new food every 3-4 days so if there is an allergic reaction, the culprit can be easily identified. She said baby can pretty much have anything as long as it's in an appropriate consistency for him to swallow. She didn't seem to be a huge fan of baby led weaning and was more comfortable with purees. 
  • Skipped a bunch of the middle posts but for any folks with a history of allergies, food allergies or eczema, you may be interested in the results of the LEAP and LEAPON studies where early introductions of allergens was associated with decreased likelihood of food allergies. This is counter to advice over the previous decade or so to delay introduction of allergens. Now the recommendation is for early introduction. In the studies, peanut given between 3-6 months decreased likelihood of peanut allergy. They also noted that in countries such as Israel where bamba peanut snack is given early, there is very little peanut allergy.  Jewish kids in Western Europe however had higher levels of food allergies.  Food allergies have been on the rise over the past two decades in the US and perhaps that is due to the uninformed recommendations previously to hold allergens.  The story is far from clear but I would urge those of you with family histories putting your kid at risk for food allergy to look into the current food recommendations by the AAP and other bodies that base recommendations on available evidence.
  • klbhklbh member
    @smoothobturator@hotmail.com yeah, the recommendations about decreased allergy risk are the reason my husband and I are going to look at developmental markers rather than strictly waiting until the 6-month date. All the research I've read about negative health effects seems to apply before four months, which I agree is way early. According to my reading, introducing very small amounts of solids between 4 and 7 months, once baby is developmentally ready, seems to offer the best protection against allergies. We won't introduce regular meals before six months, as breast milk is still the best nutrition at that stage, but if our little guy shows an interest once he's doubled his birth weight, has good head and neck control, has lost the tongue thrust reflex, etc., we'll give him little tastes.