Baby gets sick every time we visit in laws — The Bump
November 2015 Moms

Baby gets sick every time we visit in laws

I have awesome in laws, they are kind and generous overall wonderful people. They live 2.5 hours away from us so visiting is tough especially now that my MIL is sick. So them visiting us at our home has stopped and we drive up there for LO  and his sister to visit. She hasn't been doing too well and even going out for a couple hours with us as a family unit exhausts her for days. She's always had health problems but it seems to be getting worse in the last 2 years. However I notice every time we go up there LO gets a cold and a persistent cough. Last time we were there LO had a month long cold. He was just getting over it these past couple weeks and we go up there, now it's back. DH and I always wondered if their home is making her sick somehow, though it's just a guess. Does anyone else here think that home environment can trigger cold infections? Other then the obvi like someone with a cold or unclean house (their house gets cleaned by a housekeeper regularly). 

Re: Baby gets sick every time we visit in laws

• My first thought is that they may have mold growing in their walls or ventilation system. Sorry about your MIL! :(
  • Loading the player...
  • Petal19Petal19 member
    That's what we thought as well. Don't know what to do. We only go up there like once a month. Thank you. 
  • Loading the player...
  • If you're very concerned, they sell mold detection kits on amazon for $12 plus a $10 lab fee. I mean if it's bad enough to maybe make kids sick on occasional visits your inlaws should definitely know if they're breathing it all the time. A lot of molds are no joke.
  • MoRay05MoRay05 member
    My MIL had a mold problem in her old house and she seemed to always have a cold, cough or sinus infection. She sold it and moved out.  A few days later she felt soo better and believes the mold was causing her to feel so bad. I would definitely get it checked out if you think there is a possibility mold. 
  • rachswirachswi member
    Out of curiosity could mold be causing your MIL's problems too? If she's been getting worse in the last 2 years it may be the underlying cause (unless whatever is making her sick is not environmental)
    VexedMommysnowflake143doodleoodle
  • Petal19Petal19 member
    @rachswi we've been feeling like that be the case as well. I will let DH bring it up because I don't want them to get offended if I say something. Thank you all for the help! 
    rachswidoodleoodle
  • Petal19 said:
    @rachswi we've been feeling like that be the case as well. I will let DH bring it up because I don't want them to get offended if I say something. Thank you all for the help! 
    From my hours of watching HGTV (so clearly i am an expert) I learned that mold could be caused by a corroded or damaged pipe in the wall, nothing anyone would be aware of unless they open up the wall.  Maybe your H could suggest something like there is less of a chance they get offended.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
    rachswiCantPeopleNeedCoffeedoodleoodleVexedMommy