High-Risk Pregnancy

How often do you see your MFM doctor?

NenaMommyNenaMommy member
edited May 2016 in High-Risk Pregnancy

Hi ladies,

My medical group is not letting me make appointments with the MFM I met with before TTC.  Apparently, their practice is to do the 12 week NT u/s (done by a technician and will be read by another MFM doctor), and then the 20 week anatomy u/s at which time I will see her.   This sounds so wrong to me.  I thought my MFM would be the one handling my pregnancy, and she doesn't do deliveries, the regular OB would take care of that.

How often do you seen your MFM and at how many weeks did you first start seeing him/her?

Thanks!

Me: 40 | DH: 45 | together 14 years

TTC since 9/2015

• Low AMH (0.1), high FSH (23.7), low AFC (4), low responder to stimulation, given 0.5% chance of being able to conceive
  • High Risk Factors: AMA, APS (antiphospholipid syndrome), obesity, uterine fibroid, rh negative
  • SA: everything excellent
  • Began medicated cycles (clomid, ovidrel, follistim, estrogen, progesterone)
  • 1st IUI: 3/27/16, BFP: 4/11/16, EDD 12/18/16!!!

We trust and pray that God will continue to bless us with a full-term, smooth pregnancy and the delivery of a healthy baby.

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: How often do you see your MFM doctor?

• I see mine every month. I see her immediately after each ultrasound, and in between. I'm 23 weeks, saw her last week, and my next appt is June 3rd. It's been that way since I first saw her at 6 weeks.
  • NenaMommyNenaMommy member
    edited May 2016

Thanks. When did you start seeing her?  I just edited my original post to add this question, too.

Hope all is going well with your pregnancy. :)

Me: 40 | DH: 45 | together 14 years

TTC since 9/2015

• Low AMH (0.1), high FSH (23.7), low AFC (4), low responder to stimulation, given 0.5% chance of being able to conceive
    • High Risk Factors: AMA, APS (antiphospholipid syndrome), obesity, uterine fibroid, rh negative
    • SA: everything excellent
    • Began medicated cycles (clomid, ovidrel, follistim, estrogen, progesterone)
    • 1st IUI: 3/27/16, BFP: 4/11/16, EDD 12/18/16!!!

We trust and pray that God will continue to bless us with a full-term, smooth pregnancy and the delivery of a healthy baby.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DiFazetteDiFazette member
    edited May 2016
    I don't think most MFM practices deliver.  Practices will always have their preferred referral groups.  You can always be seen by that MFM out of pocket if it's that important to you.  If you haven't seen the other MFM recommended by your OB yet, you never know - you could love them.  I will see my MFM at 12 weeks to check the synchronicity of my twins, do my NT at MFM and back to the MFM for my A/S at 18 weeks.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• I just started seeing her today at 26w 4d as baby is measuring behind. I will see her every 3 weeks until due date or a decision to induce is made.
  • KenderTas06KenderTas06 member
    edited May 2016
    Im currently 18 weeks with mo/di twins. I saw my MFM doc for the 1st time at 12 weeks then again for AS at 16 weeks. I now go to MFM every two weeks. I see my normal OB every 4 weeks. 
    ETA: my normal OB will deliver, the MFM are just consultants and do not deliver. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • NeeseyNeesey member
    I've seen my MFM at 11weeks, 18 weeks, 23 weeks and next week at 29 weeks. I'm not sure how many times more I'll see her after my 29 week appointment. 
     image image image
    TTC since 3/2011 Adenomyosis, LPD, hypothyroidism. 
    BFP on 7/20/12 after 4 cycles Clomid + IUI 
    2 large subchorionic hematomas & no heartbeat at 7w6d   
    D&E 8/18/12 Sonohysterography found septum and necrotic tissue.   
    Hysteroscopy to remove both 10/5
    IUI #5-7 50mg Clomid + trigger = BFN  
    IUI #8 Femara + Bravelle + HCG + Progesterone = BFP 3/27/13
    Beta 1 (13dpo) = 169  Beta 2 (17dpo) = 1073  No heartbeat at 9w3d. 
    D & C 5/10/13  Triploidy 69 (paternal inherited)
    IVF #1 with ICSI and PGS 11R 8M 5F 2 biopsied/frozen
    PGS results = 1 with trisomy 13 & 1 good embryo for FET 
    FET #1 EV, estrace, nitro patches.  Cancelled due to thin lining
    FET #1.2 oral estrace, f'ing nitro patches and no delestrogen.  Transfer 12/31. BFN
    PAIF/SAIF welcome
    Surprise BFP on 6/13/14  Our only unmedicated bfp ever.
    Beta #1 339  Beta #2 649 44 hour doubling time
  • I think when you start seeing them and then how often you follow up depends on the reason you were referred in the first place. In my case I saw them at 12 weeks for my consult, then again at 18 weeks for my anatomy scan and then every 4 weeks from there. I saw my regular OB every 4 weeks until I started going every 2 weeks from 18-34 weeks and then weekly until I was induced at 39 weeks. I also had a high risk anesthesia consult at my MFM office at 34 weeks. If you are concerned I would bring it up with your OB.
  • I don't think MFM usually has a ton of flexibility in terms of every patient choosing their doctor since their availability is limited...maybe that doctor already has a full caseload, she might be out, etc until you're at 20 weeks. Also to emphasize what others said, MFM usually doesn't deliver, and the frequency of seeing them should really depend on the reason you are high risk, possibly as well as whether or not you're seeing OB+MFM at scans or being monitored entirely by MFM. So, ask questions but don't worry much trying to compare it to other people's individualized regimens. I saw them at 8, 12, 16, 20 and will continue every 4 weeks until 32 weeks, at which point it'll be twice a week. Hopefully your cause of risk is less serious/requires less monitoring?