April 2016 Moms

When to stop?!

I have been struggling with very low supply since DD2 was born 6 weeks tomorrow. My milk didn't come in until almost 7 days, we struggled with jaundice then with weight gain. We didn't get back up to birth weight until 4 weeks. To get her back up to birth weight we had to supplement with 1.5 oz of formula. Even taking supplements and lactation cookies my milk has not increased one bit. Starting fenugreek at 1 week, along with more milk plus, Brewers yeast. I am struggling with when do I stop nursing? Pumping? I am just sad because DD2 is a good nurser with a good latch I am just the problem. What would you do? When would you just give up the struggle with trying to increase your supply? 

Re: When to stop?!

• Any milk you are giving her has your antibodies to help boost her immune system, and if either one of you gets sick, your body is working to protect you both. Even if she's only getting a little bit from you, it's something. 

How frequently are you pumping and how much milk do you get? How much are you supplementing?
    kids with flags
  • Well during the day she nurses and gets 1.5 oz of formula every 2 hours. She gives us a 5/6 hour stretch of sleep at night then it starts right back with every 2 hours. It takes like 6 pumping be sessions (after nursing her) to get 2.5 oz of breastmilk.
    At 3 weeks old we did a weighted nursing session with an LC, nursing for 10 minutes on both sides she only gained an oz so the LC could only assume that between both breasts I made an oz of milk. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I would nurse her as often and for as long as you can during the day (although, I know hard hard that is with another child to care for). I would also add in a pumping session during her long stretch- maybe like an hour after she goes down. You might not get anything at first, but over time it should signal your body to make more. I don't like times nursing sessions. Your breasts will never truly empty all of the way until you wean, so it is impossible to know exactly how much you are producing. Letting her comfort nurse too should help.
  • I have no idea what I would do in your situation. I wouldn't stop trying because I'm stubborn as hell, but if you are discouraged and it's affecting your quality of life you certainly have that option. You have other options too. Soldiering on and keeping up what you are doing. Having a "nurse-in." Power pumping. Using a supplemental nursing system to nurse so that your breasts are being stimulated to produce more milk even when LO is getting formula. Adding in a pump session in the middle of the night (I would not do this one, but it's an option). Pumping one side while she nurses the other.

What kind of pump do you use? Does it seem to have adequate suction? Do you have a letdown for it (milk spraying), or does it just get little drops of milk at a time?
    kids with flags
  • I have the Medela PISA. I think I have to correct size flanges. I do have a letdown with the pump of the suction is high enough. After I see the first drops I usually have to turn auction up a little high to get spraying. 
  • I struggled With this with my first. My advice is when trying to get your milk up interferes with spending time with your child that's when you stop. I know I was so obsessed with trying to get as much breastmilk is possible for my son that I wasn't spending as much time with him as I wanted to cause I was constantly pumping. That's when I gave up.   I think that's a better attitude than a specific time. My mantra has become a fed baby is best and as long as they are getting the nutrition they need and you're doing everything you can that's all that matters 
  • Thanks everyone for your responses and suggestions
  • My supply dropped with DS1 at 6 weeks...I got up at 4:30 to pump before everyone got up and again after he went to bed just to get enough milk for the next day. It was hell but I don't regret it. 

Are you drinking at least 100 oz of water a day and eating enough calories? I also ate oatmeal everyday for breakfast. 

To answer your question...only you can decide what's best for your family. Don't lose your sanity bc that's not good for anyone. 
  • I've mainly been a lurker on A16, but felt it necessary to comment here.  I breastfed my first for 7 months and we had zero issues.  This LO (born Apr 4) had issues from day one.  She lost weight continually and didn't get back up to birth weight until week 4.  I had to supplement with breastmilk, which meant I was pumping and nursing simultaneously.  Our issue was that she was a lazy nurser and only getting lazier b/c she was losing weight.  I drove myself crazy pumping and nursing at all hours of the night.  Her latch suffered b/c she was going from bottle to breast and was confused.  I ended up stopping all together and switching to formula (I was not willing to be an exclusive pumper).  It was the best decision I could have made for BOTH of us b/c I was sobbing during every feeding and almost every other moment of the day.  Please do not feel guilty if you need to switch to formula.  You need to consider your own well-being.  While breastfeeding has been proven to be "best", it shouldn't come at the cost of your mental health.