January 2017 Moms
Options

QOTD Wednesday: Distinguishing baby's birthday from Christmas

I think that a lot of us are currently due in early-mid January. Knowing that we could go early or late and that we all know EDD are a crapshoot ;), if you celebrate Christmas, how are you going to differentiate baby's birthday from Christmas? If you have a birthday close to Christmas, what did your family do for you that was awesome to make you feel special? Or what totally doesn't work?

(trust that I know it's early for such questions - but I need convos with other pregnant mamas because it's a looooooong wait till that first appointment and it's going to be an even longer wait until end of first tri!)

June Siggy Challenge: Robert Downey Jr

37 yr old mama with 4yr old DD and 2 yr old DS

Babysizer Manly Pregnancy Tracker

Re: QOTD Wednesday: Distinguishing baby's birthday from Christmas

• Options
    I've been thinking the same thing! Hoping they take this baby 2 weeks early, as they did my other two. That would put the birthday at least a week before Christmas comma but still close enough that the birthday Mayfield part of the holiday instead of something separate? Glad you posted this, as I really have no ideas here, interested to see what others say.
  • Options
    We have 3 people in our family with birthdays around Christmas (and one was born ON Christmas!!). I think having a separate party is super important. I've even joked I'll be one of those moms who does a half birthday party during the summer! Lol!! But that's going to be the biggest thing is making sure it's kept completely separate! And hey double the presents than everyone else right! :) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sunflower9939Sunflower9939 member
    edited May 2016
    Mine is Dec. 9th so I've kind of dealt with this personally. Just always have a separate party. I think it'd be cool to have a Christmas or New Years birthday, honestly. People are so festive and in celebration mode :) my son's birthday is 1/14 and that is a little hard since people are partied out by then hah
    BFP 07/14/2012, EDD 03/22/2013, DD born 03/21/2013
    BFP 05/20/2014, EDD 01/29/2015, DS born 01/14/2015
    BFP 04/25/2016, EDD 01/01/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Lurker from May 2016 here...I just wanted to share my family's experience.  My brother's birthday is Dec. 29...I  think my mom had an early Jan. due date with him.  Anyway, his birthday has always been treated as VERY separate from Christmas.  Growing up, the 29th (or days around it after Christmas, depending on weekdays, etc.) was always a birthday party with my brother's friends.  My parents gave him the same amount of birthday gifts they would give me or my sister, and he always had separate presents on Christmas morning.  I don't think that my sister or I ever resented him getting another round of presents right after Christmas, either.  We just grew up understanding that's when his birthday was, and it's only fair he got the same kind of celebration we did. 

Just wanted to share from experience.  And a happy and healthy 9 months to all of you!  :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    SA0012SA0012 member
    Mine is Dec. 9th so I've kind of dealt with this personally. Just always have a separate party. I think it'd be cool to have a Christmas or New Years birthday, honestly. People are so festive and in celebration mode :) my son's birthday is 1/14 and that is a little hard since people are partied out by then hah
    My son's bday is 1/13! :) 

I'm due 12/30 or 1/1 (depending on method) and I'm mostly nervous about having the baby BETWEEN Christmas and New Years. If that happens then everybody will certainly be busy on both surrounding weekends . We could do the next one but I know everyone will be burned out from all of the holiday traveling and parties and then DS1 would be that NEXT weekend again :(

I think a joint bday party may have to be our compromise but it makes me sad not to be able to give them their own. I'm hoping baby comes early or late enough that it doesn't end up so complicated :-/ 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My birthday is Christmas Eve, and my husband's is the 20th, and his best friend's is the 26th. As adults, we celebrate all of our birthdays at once, and it's a total blast! We just pick some time between Christmas and New Years to celebrate. It's never been a big deal.

Growing up, we would either celebrate my birthday a couple of weeks before Christmas (think early December) which I always liked because then I could celebrate it at school, or we would celebrate my half birthday in June with a pool party. My parents always left it up to me, and it was no more complicated to plan than any other birthday party!

When it came to immediate-family, we started celebrating my birthday the evening of the 23rd through the day on the 24th, then when the evening came around, it was Christmas! Honestly, I always loved it even though I may have been ripped off with presents. It always felt like the whole world was celebrating my birthday :) A lot of it has to do with your mindset. If you present it the right way, your child will love it!
    Me & DH: 27
    Met: 12.9.2007
    Married: 9.26.2014
    BFP: 5.1.2016
    Baby Boy Due: 1.13.2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    jsl82jsl82 member
    This is my 2nd pregnancy with an early January due date.  I was really worried about it the first time and looked up ways to make a Christmas time birthday special and found ideas like covering the tree with balloons on the child's birthday.  The thing i remember the most- and I'm hoping that it doesn't happen with this pregnancy was reading about people with New Years Eve birthdays- they said it sucked having everyone literally countdown the seconds until their birthday was over every year.  
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• Options
    I'm hoping not to go early, if we make it solidly into January I'll probably do birthday parties the week/ weekend after with family. If I go early it'll be a week or so before. My family has birthdays on 12/12, 12/19, 12/21 and 1/1, so it's always been natural to go into bday mode for a couple of weeks right at the holidays 
  • Options
    asnowsurfer said: or we would celebrate my half birthday in June with a pool party. My parents always left it up to me, and it was no more complicated to plan than any other birthday party!
    That's really cool (and thoughtful!) of your parents.

I've never really understood the fuss with Christmas birthdays. One of our friends has a birthday the day after Christmas and I actually think he has it better than people with non-Christmas birthdays because of the fact that people make an extra effort to make sure he feels it's celebrated :)

I keep telling myself this baby is going to be probably late due to the fact that it'll be my first, but my mom has told me many times that I (her only child) was born 2 weeks premature at an all-too-healthy 9.5 pounds... so I know anything is possible.
  • Options
    LJ623LJ623 member
    I'm a day late, but still want to chime in...

It's funny because although I have obviously comprehended that I'm due in early January, I hadn't really thought of how close to Christmas it is (except to celebrate my possibly extended Maternity Leave since we get two weeks off over Christmas & New Year...).  My birthday is June 23rd, so I've always had it best - Christmas and Birthday practically 6 months apart!

I think we will make sure we do a birthday party, separate from Christmas get-togethers and will make sure there are distinct presents for each holiday...

BFP: 1/31/15; MMC: 3/31/15
    BFP: 4/26/16; Baby Girl Born: 1/3/17
    BFP: 10/1/21; EDD: 6/10/22
  • Options
    I am nervous about this too. I think I'd rather have baby earlier rather than late (EDD is Jan 2). The good thing to remember is that even though people are busy, most folks are off work the week between Christmas and New Years so you might have more flexibility on when to throw a party rather than always doing a weekend. Also, I fully plan on making sure baby feels special either way so a separate party is in order.
    Me: 34, DH: 33 // Met: 10.21.2007 // Married: 9.18.2015
    BFP: 4.29.2016 // EDD: 1.2.2017 (IT'S A BOY!) Born 12/26/16
    BFP: 2.10.19 // and MC on 3.19.19
    BFP: 7.9.19 // EDD 3.16.20

• Options
    DH and I have been talking about this a lot. Since my EDD is 1/1, there's such a large chance that baby will be here over Christmas and winter breaks. For parties, I was saying we could plan the bday party with friends the weekend before break or right when school comes back. If the baby is a New Year's baby, that would be great! We usually get NY's off and it's typically dead around town, so we could do whatever baby wants when they're old enough to ask. But we definitely want to keep their bday separate of any other holiday. Bdays are very important to me.

Me: 33 DH: 38 Married: 1/10/15

1st Pregnancy EDD: 1/1/17 Born 1/10/17 Team Green turned Blue!

2nd Pregnancy EDD: 11/6/18 Born 11/09/18 Baby Boy!

3rd Pregnancy EDD: 12/?/21

Children are like casseroles; it takes a lot to mess them up.

• Options
    DH's birthday is Dec. 4 and we celebrate separately from Christmas.  it just makes getting gifts a challenge because it's like you don't get a break in between!  DS's birthday is January 21, but his due date was January 8.  I wasn't too concerned about the due date because it'd be like DH where we knew we could make them different events.  By January 21, we have enough of a break, we've found.
  • Options
    Carly79Carly79 member
    My edd is 1/5. I'm hoping to go early from the point that we will have already met our insurance deductible :) However, on the other had a few weeks past Christmas would be great. My son had an edd of 12/6/14 and was born 11/14/14 so we already have one that falls around Christmas (luckily 6 weeks before). The toughest thing we've run in to in the early years is that we can only ask for so many things for birthday and Christmas at those stages, not knowing what we will need in 6 months. So we have had to purchase more things than we would have if his birthday were over the summer. Not something I would have ever thought about. Looks like we are in store for a fun end/start to our years and need to save for it over the summer.  My brother and sister have birthdays 7 days apart 2 months after Christmas. It was very important to them to have separate celebrations (most of the time) and have their special day.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    ju0725ju0725 member
    I always had a birthday Party and got at least one present from my parents for my birthday. I think that party is the difference. (My Birthday is January 13th). So now my little Sprout will be due the first week of January, I was 41 weeks with my first so maybe the same with this one. I plan on just letting my birthday take a back seat and maybe having a party around mid January to let all of the Christmas/New years festivities settle. My niece is a January 1st baby so her party is always the first week of January as well. 

All in all I am not worried about it. We will make it special enough every year that thus baby will know he/she is loved. 
  • Options
    TNChickTNChick member
    I have two december babies. One on the 6th and one on the 31st. I have never had a problem throwing them parties. To me, it is no different. The only problem I have is coming up with another gift idea that close to christmas, but sometimes it leads to more creativity. This last year, we got Disney tickets for both of them for their birthdays. It was a way better gift than more junk!

Also, I am a school counselor, and I am out during their birthdays. Which is nice!
  • Options
    Our 2nd boy is a New Years Eve baby too! 

He is 7 now, and so far we haven't had any trouble distinguishing it from Christmas. He always gets super excited when it's Christmas time since he knows his birthday is coming soon!
    BabyGaga
    DS1 - 03/31/2006
    DS2 - 12/31/2008
    DS3 - 06/26/2012
    DS4 - 08/07/2014
  • Options
    New Year's Eve feels like it's a month from Christmas as it is. I don't think it will be an issue. Unless my noodle comes on Christmas. 
  • Options
    My 2nd DD is 12/11 and we do a party at the beginning of December before people are bothered by all the Christmas parties. This baby is due 12/26, but could come anywhere between then and 1/2. I think a new years baby would be fun to celebrate every year. A big party with friends who stay over night and ring in the new year/your birthday. That'd be fun. 

Emma & Amelia <3
  • Options
    Since my first was born on the 4th of July, I'm almost hoping this one will come on new years eve or day (edd is Jan 2) so that they both get fireworks for their birthdays! I like the idea of having LO's friends over to celebrate and watch the fireworks and stay the night. 
  • Options
    Seeing as I'm due with this baby on my daughters 4th birthday (Jan10th) I'm already going through this with her and it hasn't been a problem,  by Jan 10th most of the Christmas celebrations are well over and it hasn't been a problem to celebrate her birthday.  The hardest thing we've experienced is planning the party while planning Christmas.. I always seem to end up rushing because I think I have more time than I do and then it's Christmas and I don't have any time left..
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm not sure when my EDD yet probably around the 10th but maybe earlier.  However, I tend to have bp issues with my pregnancies so I expect I will need to be induced early which would put me around Christmas.  Hopefully before so we could be home to celebrate with our other boys! This will be DS1's first real christmas since he will be 3 and last year he was so sick with Croup, it would break my heart to miss it. 
  • Options
    My LO was born on Dec. 13th and we have a party just like we would any other month.  My SIL's bday is Dec. 23 and we make sure to buy her 2 gifts, 1 for her birthday and 1 for Christmas.  She chooses to open them both on Christmas but we left that up to her.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    BabyFruit Ticker