March 2016 Moms

Baby cereal?

Has anyone started giving their LO's baby rice cereal? My LO is 7 weeks old and formula doesn't seem to satisfy her. And on top of that, when we eat in front of her she'll stare at us like she's waiting for her plate too. I know that might sound crazy but it's like she smells it and then starts chewing on her hands.

Re: Baby cereal?

• No. Seven weeks is way too young. Four months at the earliest, and many many babies are not ready then. Why do you think formula doesn't satisfy her? 

Talk to your doctor of course, but seven weeks is way too little for anything except formula or breast milk. 

• She makes an "I'm still hungry" cry if she finishes a bottle and wants to continue eating or if we take it away to wipe her mouth and is very different and distinctive from her "I'm starving" cry. She makes her starving cry maybe 45 minutes to an hour after she finishes off her bottle. It's hard to explain cause I go off her different cries and that's just what it feels like she's communicating to me.
  • Loading the player...
  • She might just want to suck more or for longer. Does she take a pacifier? A lot of times after my baby finishes eating he just sucks for comfort or wants the paci for awhile, and I remember my older two doing the same as well. Sucking is comforting for them, so it could be that

• Yeah she uses a paci. After she finishes her bottle I'll burp her and give each her the paci just to make sure but when she's still hungry she'll spit it out and start with a cry. But we see our pedi soon and I'll ask about it then. 
  • Definitely too young for rice cereal. As PPer said, only BM or formula for now. How much and how often are you feeding her?

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Well a nurse told us no more than 6 ounces every 2-2-4 hours but lately around 5pm or so she seems more hungry and more fussy and she does her hungry cry. Like yesterday she ate her usual 4 ounces and an hour later she ate 6 more. That's been happening for a few days now and I'm not going to not feed her. The only reason I ask is cause that's what everyone is telling me to do.
  • Maybe she's hitting a little growth spurt and so she's hungrier. Lots of people will recommend it, but I personally still wouldn't do it. Sometimes babies are hungrier than normal, and sometimes babies have fussy periods where they cry more. It doesn't mean they are ready for solids. 

• eivaskaeivaska member
    At 7 weeks they don't have the swallow reflex to handle the cereal is how my pediatrician explained it. I feel your pain though my LO has put on 5lbs and 3 in in the last 6 weeks it feels like some days she does nothing but eat. 

• Babies usually eat more in the evenings. It's like they know they will not be eating again until the morning (if he/she is sleeping through the night). I breast feed all day until about 4-4:30. I then leave for work at 5, and then she eats 4oz of formula every 2 hours and then right before bed (8:45-9:00) she takes another 2 to 3oz. 

I definitely agree that it is too soon for cereal for your LO and that a good talk with the pedi is a good idea. Good luck!
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    That's too young and look into rice cereal before you give it to her. BLW is a great option. 
  • smushismushi member
    That'd be a huge nope.  There is no reason to give LO cereal unless they are aspirating (as a thickening agent).