July 2015 Moms

LO refusing bottle at daycare

DD has been going to daycare for 4 months now and in just the past 3 weeks she is refusing to drink her formula at daycare. She fusses some with us at home but we can usually get her to drink. Today she didn't drink one single ounce all day!! She is eating her food though. She really likes table food waaaaay better than baby food but she is eating both at school. So, basically I'm lucky if I can get 17-20 ounces in her a day :( Not sure what to do!! Is anyone having this problem?

Re: LO refusing bottle at daycare

• n3na94n3na94 member
    Oh mama, Is it only during day care or is it also when you're home? 
  • It is normal at this age for them not to really like the formula as much because they are more interested in table food. Does your LO drink from a sippy cup or cup? Have you tired putting the formula in there? There are also eating strategies that you can try, you can ask your pediatrician. We went through this 
  • Loading the player...
  • n3na94n3na94 member
    AziaNick said:
    It is normal at this age for them not to really like the formula as much because they are more interested in table food. Does your LO drink from a sippy cup or cup? Have you tired putting the formula in there? There are also eating strategies that you can try, you can ask your pediatrician. We went through this 
    Yes, I agree perhaps she would take it in a sippy cup! 
  • It's really only happening at daycare, she's a tough one but I can get her to drink it at home. She currently doesn't use a sippy. She can't seem to figure out how to use it?!?! I've tried a few cups but all she does is chew on the spout. Thanks for your responses ladies!!
  • Yes my LO is doing the same!!!! He gets mostly breastmilk, maybe one formula bottle a day but I've reduced my pumping so I thought maybe since my hormones are changing (I can tell, I'm getting more period symptoms, haven't had a period return yet, he's almost 10 months old) the taste of the milk might be changing but he's doing it wit trying formula too. Like you noticed, my LO is way more interested in table food too but only has 2 teeth so makes me nervous to give him much! And he's always hated purees. He wants to hold things. Sounds like our 2 are two peas in a pod right now lol it is frustrating! I never had this issue with my oldest who is now almost 2.5
  • @mamaklemond if it makes you feel any better my son (who's is now 6) didn't have any teeth until 13 months old and we went ahead with all kinds of table food. I think their gums can really mash it up well. My son never did this either with the refusing bottles etc!! It is super frustrating! 
  • I think 17-20 oz is just fine. My pediatrician said at this point she should be eating more solids and about 20 oz formula a day. My DD still drinks too much formula so I have the opposite issue lol. But to me it sounds like you are fine. but of course I'm not a Dr and I don't know your babies specific health so always consult your pediatrician. 
  • rebeccad7 said:
    I think 17-20 oz is just fine. My pediatrician said at this point she should be eating more solids and about 20 oz formula a day. My DD still drinks too much formula so I have the opposite issue lol. But to me it sounds like you are fine. but of course I'm not a Dr and I don't know your babies specific health so always consult your pediatrician. 
    Thanks! Yes I think I've been stressing too much about her getting more than 20 oz and in reality I read that 16-30 is the range...it's a wide range.
  • n3na94n3na94 member
    Melis222 said:
    rebeccad7 said:
    I think 17-20 oz is just fine. My pediatrician said at this point she should be eating more solids and about 20 oz formula a day. My DD still drinks too much formula so I have the opposite issue lol. But to me it sounds like you are fine. but of course I'm not a Dr and I don't know your babies specific health so always consult your pediatrician. 
    Thanks! Yes I think I've been stressing too much about her getting more than 20 oz and in reality I read that 16-30 is the range...it's a wide range.
    Definitely ask your pediatrician just for a peace of mind. I know it can depend on the baby and their growth.