Trouble TTC

Introduction....And question about RE

Hi ladies! Just wanted to introduce myself, as I have been lurking for quite a while! I'm 37. My DH and I got married two and a half years ago, and we have been actively trying for about a year. I have been on femara for 4 cycles through my obgyn. (They are all monitored cycles.) This cycle I also did an IUI with a trigger shot. I also have been doing acupuncture once a week for almost 6 months, plus doing all the normal supplements. I'm currently at 9DPO, so I am still hopeful....But also trying to plan for the next cycle. I know I need to move on to an RE, but haven't decided if I should move on next cycle or give it one more try with an iui at my obgyn. For those that are going to an RE, how long did it take you to get an appointment and see the RE? Also, did you do a consultation visit at multiple RE, or did you just visit one RE and stick with him/her? I live in the dallas-fort worth area, so I am fortunate to have lots of choices....But I am kinda overwhelmed by taking the next step on the road to a baby!

Thanks for listening to my rambles! I am grateful to have found this community!

Re: Introduction....And question about RE

• Hi and welcome :) I'm also 37. I went for testing only at one RE's office but it was a very sterile environment. When I decided to actually start seeing an RE about 6 mos later I went with someone my acupuncturist recommended. She actually does treatments in her office for women during IVF. It was a much better fit for my personality. The office is usually booked out 2 months.
    TTC since May 2013
    Mild PCOS, Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
    No Folic acid/pharmaceuticals/supplements (too many to list- private message me if interested), IVIL infusion
  • Thank you, lablover78! I'm glad you found an RE you liked and didn't just use the first one.  I guess I didn't realize that it could take up to two months to get an appointment! Perhaps I should go ahead and try to book something soon, even if I decide to stick with my obgyn for one more cycle. Time to really get this ball rolling!
  • Loading the player...
  • I happened to get a great recommendation from my PCP and decided to go with the first RE we met, but I definitely would have met others if we didn't like him.  I have been seen by another RE in the practice when my RE was out of town, and his bedside manner was so bad, I was so glad he wasn't my doctor.  So find someone you like, especially if you have options (I am also in an area with options).  It didn't take me very long to get my initial appt, but certainly call and see what is standard in your area and at your top choices.
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • I will call my top options today to check! Thank you!
  • I just recently switched to a different RE. This one had more knowledge and specialization with MFI. I didn't not like my other one, but I love our new one. My wait time is only about a week to get an appointment, but I live in Canada, not in a metropolitan area, so maybe less people are in line?

I would do what you suggested earlier and atleast start the process with an RE and continue to work with your OBGYN until you get that appointment.

I hope your stay here is shorter than planned! Welcome!

Me: 30 DH: 33

Married: February 15, 2013

TCC: October 2013

MFI- low count/morphology

May / June 2016- Monitored cycle and TI- BFN

June / July 2016- Gonal-F + IUI #1- BFN

August 2016- Gonal-F + IUI #2-

• Hello and welcome!  We went straight to an RE for fertility treatments.  It was a clinic that I was referred to by my OBGYN so we didn't shop around at all.  It took about a month to get an appointment, however I've heard of others on here having to wait quite awhile.  Personally, I wouldn't wait.  You will get more specialized treatment from an RE, as this is their specialty!  Good luck to you!
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Thank you, ladies! Y'all have been so very helpful and welcoming! I called my top two choices this afternoon and found out that the wait time was 2-3 weeks.  I'm still doing some homework, but knowing this will help me plan my consultation. Thank you!!!!
  • Hello and welcome!  Its good that you don't have a wait and have lots of choices.  I have very few choices in my state and the closest is 1.5 hours from my house.  Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
    TTC since May 2015 with domestic partner of 13 years. Me 33 OH 33.  No ovulation or natural menstruation. Normal SA.
    Diagnosed PCOS February 2016
    First cycle 50mg Clomid 5/3/16, O'd CD 19 BFN
    Second cycle 50mg Clomid 6/1/16 O'd CD 18 BFN
    Third cycle Clomid 6/29/16 O'd CD 16 BFP @11dpo!
    EDD April 3 and praying things work out!
  • Hi kdreasoner! Welcome! I am 34 and just started seeing an RE last month after a little over 5.5 years of not trying but not preventing and then a little over a year of actually trying and still no success

only two REs in my area are covered by my insurance - so that made my choice a lot easier ;) I went based on reviews and have stuck with just one so far..... my re was booked out about a month when I made my initial appt
    Me: 36 years old   DH: 42 years old
    Married: 05.2012  
    TW:
    TTC #1 Since April 2016
    HSG/FSH/AMH/E2/SA all normal DX: unexplained IF

spontaneous BFP 01/01/2017-  Alexander was born sleeping 04/13/2017 at 19w1d  ic/chorio
    September 2017 HSG #2 & Gonal-F/Femara/Ovidrel/IUI #1 = ep (Salpingectomy of left fallopian tube)
    spontaneous BFP 01/02/2018  EDD Aug 30th  It's a GIRL!
    Cerclage placed on 03/02BabyFruit Ticker  Cerclage removal 08/02
  • Thanks, ladies! Hearing everyone's story about finding an RE has been very helpful....and also makes me feel like I am not alone in this struggle. Good luck and fingers crossed for some good news soon from you all!