June 2016 Moms
Options

Irritable Uterus

Sooo this past week has been quite odd.  At one point we thought I was going into labor due to frequent contractions and pain but it would come and go, we called the midwives and she wanted me to rest and call back if they lasted more than an hour or two.  Today I woke up in pain right in the middle of my belly and it got so much worse every time baby moved or when I got a braxton Hick.  I had an appt today anyways so I brought it up and she said I have an irritable uterus meaning I will feel everything more than normal FTMs.  She said my braxton Hicks are just very strong now and the pain I felt in the middle of my belly is my ab muscles splitting to make more room for baby.  She said it shouldn't cause me to go into early labor and she has no concerns, therefore ...I'm not either. But I had never heard of irritable uterus before and was just wondering what other had experienced with it, especially STMs that could share of the had it before and how was labor for them.

Re: Irritable Uterus

• Options
    3rd kid. Had it it every time. Inconvenient, uncomfortable and scary on round 1, but that is the extent of my experience. The worst thing for me was wondering if it really was "go time" or if it was just the usual. Baby 2, I had no doubt because my water broke to confirm things. As with anything, of your dr isn't worried then you shouldn't be either. That is assuming that you trust their judgement. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    This is my 4th baby that will be born and my first time even noticing actual Braxton hicks. They have been so consistent for the last few days I wake up and my stomach feels like I did a hundred situps... they have increased for me. 34 weeks. 
    I mentioned them at my last appointment and my dr said irritable uterus was common with my age lol.... great... anyhow they have gotten worse... to the point I told my hubby if we do it that it needed to be in the morning so if it puts me into labor I don't miss sleep rofl... I don't get much as it is...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When I was 21 weeks I ended up in L&D because I was having preterm contractions. They told me I have an irritable uterus. There's nothing that can help with it. It gets really bad when I get anxious or cry. It feels like a knife is stabbing me in the belly or that my belly is ripping open. My BH don't hurt as bad, but still very noticeable. 
    Pregnancy Ticker 
  • Options
    I definitely have an irritable uterus too, I'm not sure what it will mean time wise for giving birth this pregnancy but last pregnancy they didn't think I would make it through the 33rd week. Ironically, I didn't. I had an unrelated emergency c at 33 weeks.
  • Options
    Rosehip15 said:
    I'm irritable.  Does that count?
    Hey now! Irritable uterus is a thing and it freaking hurts. I had it with DS and I'm fairly certain I have it again now which is why my OB thought I was in the early stages of labor yesterday. 
    Painful contractions suck, especially when you can't tell the difference between IU and labor and you're only 35 weeks pregnant. 
    But I am with you, I too am irritable. And yeah, it tote counts. 
    April Sig Challenge: Why my kid is crying

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    HBamama2B said:
    I think 'irritable uterus' is the worst medical term ever and it makes me irritable every time I hear it. Why not active? Sensitive? Highly muscled? Why you gotta say our baby bags are cranky AF too? 
    And also Bc the OB called my uterus elderly on top:

That makes two of us old hags, my friend...uptown "elderly mother" here...
  • Options
    Rosehip15 said:
    I'm irritable.  Does that count?
    Hey now! Irritable uterus is a thing and it freaking hurts. I had it with DS and I'm fairly certain I have it again now which is why my OB thought I was in the early stages of labor yesterday. 
    Painful contractions suck, especially when you can't tell the difference between IU and labor and you're only 35 weeks pregnant. 
    But I am with you, I too am irritable. And yeah, it tote counts. 
    Not minimizing at all!  I don't know if I officially meet the criteria for irritable, but with every pregnancy, I've had braxton hicks to beat the band starting before 20 weeks.  This time, I swear I feel the baby smashing my c/s scar during the contractions, and I have to stop and wait through it.  Labor is going to rock. 
  • Options
    I had to pull over on the side of the road the other day because my IU was acting up and I thought there was a dagger in my uterus. My husband was kinda freaked out. 
    Pregnancy Ticker 
  • Options
    adiaz132003adiaz132003 member
    edited May 2016
    Just gonna update. I went to this week's appt and my midwife said that just as she was trying to feel for baby, it triggered a contraction. She said that she's now thinking I may go sooner than we thought.  I'm finally at 37 weeks so I feel like if baby is really ready, I am ready but I'm still nervous about the IU making it hard to distinguish between the real and the false contractions.  If any STMs have words of wisdom or comfort about having this issue, I could use it. 

Eta: spelling
  • Options
    I had IU with both this pregnancy and my last. My OB really just told me that once I get to where I can't talk through them, it's go time. However, I ended up with an e c section with my last so I can't wait that long this time due to needing a r c section. It's so so very frustrating. I don't really have much advice, I just know how annoying this is for you. 
    April Sig Challenge: Why my kid is crying

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker