TTC After a Loss

TGIF 5/13 Check In!

Hey everyone! Any fun plans this weekend? How is everyone doing? 

Re: TGIF 5/13 Check In!

• This weekend will be somewhat busy- going to my parents house this weekend because my cousin is visiting from California. Having a pot luck at my Aunt's house tonight and then spending the night at my parents. DH has a wedding on Saturday near by (he is a wedding photographer) so I am meeting up with my 2 best friend's since high school for dinner. The last time I saw them was when I told them I was pregnant- I have not seen them since the miscarriage but they have been very supportive over the phone/text message and facebook. 

Sunday I am going to visit my co-worker and her baby. I'm feeling pretty good about seeing her right now, hopefully I won't be too triggered later. She has been there for me a lot with all that I have been going through and I really want to be supportive (if I have a baby I would expect the same from her). 

Have a great weekend everyone! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @SnobunnieMel I beat you to the punch! ;) I love your doggies, so cute! 
  • I almost never know what day of the week it is; I was blown away with the revelation it is currently Friday. I actually just ordered a calendar off Etsy on Monday because it's disorienting.

TW death mentioned below

I'm having a birthday party on Saturday. My birthday is May 18th, but as I've mentioned it's a minefield. I took my best friend to the hospital four years ago on my birthday and when I went to check on him because they'd sent him home with morphine and he'd been napping a long time, well - he was dead. It was extremely traumatic, and because of the language barrier some of the first responders had assumed I'd killed him, as well as all the other things that go along with your best friend dying, so I have a lot of trouble with my birthday. I don't like to ignore it, that feels worse, but it's not an easy thing to "celebrate" and probably never will be. He was 26 and had an aneurysm a couple days before he died.

**death talk over**

I'm having some friends over. Some are playing a long, boring board game (can go 12 hours), some are coming to eat tacos. I'm what you might call a Barefoot Contessa type, so I'm spending today getting lots ready. I do taco parties a lot and always try to come up with something new. This time it's hibiscus flower tacos - they're like pulled pork it's super weird. I had them in a restaurant once and almost sent them back for giving me meat. I like to do three of everything: so three fillings, three homemade salsas, etc. I have all my party supplies, which are a cheerful shade of yellow to cover up my intense misery. I make mocktails, too. If I have time, I'll make a cocktail for those who feel like alcohol. About twelve people in all, spread through the day. I love having people over because I get the chance to practice my people photographing skills - people are a lot more unpredictable than flowers and food, eh. Given my emotional state, I'm a lot less prepared and have a lot less lists of things to get done, so we'll see how this one turns out. No one will care except me. I made my own cake - it's a three layer Bi Pride cake, but that's because all the vegan bakeries in this city are terrible and I wasn't good enough to make an ombre pink one.

Sunday, we'll decompress. Do a little gardening, play video games, read.
    Renee, 34 + Devon, 29 married 08/13 <3
    TTC  09/15
    *TW Loss mentioned*
    BFP 12/15/15 EDD: 08/26/16
    MMC discovered 1/25/16 at 9 +3
    TTCAL 3/2016
    Acupuncture 11/16
    Dx December 2016: unexplained 
    January 2017: 50 mg Clomid + TI =
    BFP #2 01/30/17  Please be a sticky baby!
    EDD: 10/15/17  Measuring ahead! 10/12/17 
    Ambrose born on his due date!

• @Spartanrd4 It sounds like you have a wonderfully busy weekend planned. I hope you have fun visiting with family and that meeting with your coworker and baby won't be triggering for you.

@SnobunnieMel Your camping trip sounds so relaxing! FX you get a good spot even with your late start. Your pups are adorable!!

@reneeannemm I'll be thinking of you over this next week. I hope you have a great relaxing party. Your tacos sound super yummy. I love me some Barefoot Contessa but could never be as put-together as her.

Today I sat down to bang out some academic-related work stuff early on. Unfortunately, the work I am doing involves Google Docs, which I am not familiar with. I had to make some changes to a document and respond to some comments from the sender, which was fine (once I figured out how to do that). The doc kept saying all my changes were "saved to drive," but when I exited out and tried to send the doc back, all my edits and comments were gone! I just wasted an hour of my life I won't get back, so in my frustration I logged on here to rant. I'll try again later.

Today is gloomy and cloudy so far. I'll probably get some laundry done and listen to a combination of music and lectures. It's supposed to get sunnier later, so I may do a light jog later. DH is busy tonight, and I have a coupon for a free Chipotle bowl, so that's happening!

Tomorrow is wide open. I'm not sure what I'll do. Maybe some weeding and yard work, some reading, and probably grocery shopping because I go back to work Sunday and will need lunch food.

My weekend is boring. :s
  • @Wishilivedinflorida I work on Google Docs all the time... that's so weird your comments and edits disappeared?? I'm not an expert on it, but there might be a troubleshooting page that'll explain how to fix it or tell what's going on. The optimist in me wants to say it's just a button that needs to be clicked or something technical like that. The pessimist in me says technology is stupid. (The latter is more often correct.)

@reneeannemm Love the Barefoot Contessa image. I can already smell the aroma of tacos lazily drifting out your windows as you fan out your yellow napkins in a concentric pattern. Contrast this with me 3 hours before a party I'm throwing: "Well, shit. I should probably do dishes and think of what people want to eat." I do want to be a more sophisticated hostess, 
    à la Giada. I tend to have anxiety though when I'm the hostess, which leads me to procrastinate and worry more about how clean my house is, what to wear, and how I should socialize - rather than the presentation of food and the decor. I think that as my friends become more sophisticated (ages vary between 23-28), so will I. Eventually I'll need to "keep up with the Jones's" so to speak. 

At any rate, I think that's a great way to celebrate your birthday, even if it's painful to. It's nice also that you have the Sunday to decompress.

@SnobunnieMel Your dogs are adorable!! Have fun!

This weekend is going to be a nice weekend to relax. My best friend is going to Chicago with her mom, so her husband is hanging out with DH and I Saturday evening. We're going to grill, watch a movie (likely a Marvel one), and play a board game or two. Sunday will be spent working at home and on my hobbies: practicing guitar, drawing, and writing. Pretty chill, but lazy weekends energize me for a hectic work week!
  • @dubcompanion I'm hoping it's just a quick fix as well but I was getting far too ragey to look into it. I'm onto cleaning my kitchen now as a form of de-raging. Your laid back weekend sounds perfect! Your explanation of you hostess style explains me to a T!
  •  I have read that one can download a Google Doc as a Word document in order to back up a file after making lots of edits and comments. Then if the internet/saving features fail, it's all still saved. I never do that. :wink: What can I say, I like to live dangerously.

• happy friday ladies!

@Spartanrd4 have fun at dinner with your friends!
    @snobunniemel good luck getting a spot camping. your dogs are adorable
    @reneeannemm i'm so sorry about your friend. I hope you have a lovely birthday, your taco party sounds perfect.
    @wishilivedinflorida i'm sorry about google docs. i feel like i've had the same issue and can't remember how i fixed it. i definitely raged as well though!
    @dubcampanion enjoy your laid back relaxing weekend.

I have a date night with dh tomorrow so i'm psyched about that. other than that, no real plans besides the usual errands and weekend stuff. I'm hoping to get a good run in if the weather cooperates. 

TW*** Child and loss mentioned
    Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    PCOS/Ovulation Dysfunction 11/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    Laparoscopy 3/17 Endo and tubal damage
    IVF- 4/17- 40 eggs retrieved, 10 blasts, 7 pgs tested embryos
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017
  • Sounds like awesome weekends happening!  I love hearing everyone's plans.

DH is still home recovering, so we won't be going anywhere, an it's cold and wet (miiiight hit 50*F today) so we'll be staying in.  I have some bananas that are looking sad so I'm going to make banana bread tonight or tomorrow and I'm thinking of making some veggie sushi and doing an Asian-inspired veggie soup to go with it.  DH is finding recipes that are appealing to him with his new diet, so I'll make him one or two things, as well.

I'm ovulating sometime between now and Tuesday, so we will also be deciding if we're trying this cycle or not, given DH's health.  

I think we might rent a movie and do a movie night this weekend, too, since that is enjoyable and something DH can do without having to accommodate his health at all.
  • @SnobunnieMel those are some absolutely gorgeous pups! @Spartanrd4 I hope your visit goes well and is more happy than triggering. 

I'm taking call the next 2 weekends as well as a bunch of evenings after my other job over the next few weeks (figure it will be more gas money for when I visit my family on the east coast 6/8), so I'm enjoying the calm before the storm this weekend. DH just broke one of our only 2 bowls from Pottery Barn and we still have 10$ on a gift card there, so I'm going into downtown this afternoon to pick up another one and surprise him. Perhaps we just need some more dishes? ;-)

Question: why do people comment so much when posts are edited? I'm kind of slow with my thoughts before posting, so basically all of mine are ;-). But what's the significance to know if a post is edited or not? I was just curious. Thanks and happy weekend everyone! 
    Me: 39 DH: 39
    CP 1/25/16 4.5 weeks, developed Graves' disease
  • @amberruka It is considered good etiquette to note when you've edited your post. It's more of a thing for when a conversation gets heated - someone might change something and make the person(s) responding look foolish by editing without explaining why. I think for the most part, people won't even notice you've edited anything if everything is calm and civil, but it's just a nicety of digital communication. 
    TTC  09/15
    *TW Loss mentioned*
    TTCAL 3/2016
    Acupuncture 11/16

• @reneeannemm thanks so much!! 
    Me: 39 DH: 39
    CP 1/25/16 4.5 weeks, developed Graves' disease
  • JDMRSJDMRS member
    TW***loss mentioned

@SnobunnieMel That heat sounds brutal so I am glad you're escaping! @Spartanrd4 good luck! My law school BFF is about to pop with baby #2, and I hope I am okay when I go visit- She has been an amazing friend throughout our loss- she lost a baby last year and she has been so supportive. @reneeannemm You are in my thoughts this weekend and HOLY COW those tacos sound divine! I am always looking for ways to jazz up vegan and veggie tacos because TBH-black beans and corn is boring after 23 years...

We continue to pack this weekend. and paint. Fingers crossed, we will be ready to photograph the house and get it listed. Kind of mixed feelings about moving forward before I am KU again and into my 2nd tri but no matter what kids are in our future, so no time like the present I suppose. Plus I can throw out so much crap. Except DH isn't a fan of throwing out stuff (which is why he will not get rid of his stereo he bought in 1997 and was never set up in our house when we bought it in 2009...) And of course yoga- I am in TWW craziness right now but I talked it over with my Dr and my yoga instructor and they both said I have a regular practice and isn't hot yoga, I can keep it up. 

• @amberruka No problem!

@JDMRS Vegan tacos are my life's blood. I don't know who I am without them. Here's some ideas from my website; I have blogged three of my taco parties- and I'll be posting the recipes I haven't yet from this party in the next week or so, depends how lazy I am with editing photos (usually very, very lazy).
    TTC  09/15
    *TW Loss mentioned*
    TTCAL 3/2016
    Acupuncture 11/16

• dubcompaniondubcompanion member
    edited May 2016
    @mandi135 Yum!! Banana bread! I haven't had that in ages. I "inherited" my parents' bread maker last weekend (they have a new one that now makes glucose-free bread), so I'll have to try out the recipe using that. :smile: The machine is over 20 years old, but it works and -more importantly- the bread still tastes delicious!

@amberruka It seems whenever something is broken, I end up replacing that + several other items. Shopping is a risky activity for me (or more like for my pieces of plastic).

@JDMRS Listing a house is always so exciting/stressful/crazy. Best of luck to you in the coming days! And ITA - throwing out the crap is a nice bonus to moving. 
  • @reneeannemm I'm glad you've found a way to celebrate your birthday even tho it's hard <3 Your party sounds AMAZING! I hope to host parties like that in the near future :) I also just wanted to say YAY Bi Pride!!! I'm bi, too ;)

DH is away again, back on Saturday afternoon/evening. So I'm planning a hike and some reading today. I've been stressing a lot about my GI problem as I still haven't figured out an effective regime to manage it and it's seeming more and more like a chronic, possibly permanent issue. So I need to do some meditating and reading to just work on acceptance.

Sunday we have to go move a bunch of stuff and tear out more cupboards up at the new house so the kitchen renos can get underway. 

Other than that I'm doing okay, have one tiny rave and rant lol. Rave: I have charted and checked CM for YEARS but never actually temped so I thought it might be good to find out more accurately what my cycle is like while I'm benched and I think I found my O this cycle so that's kind of exciting! My rant, though, is I'm having one of those cycles where my breasts start hurting right after O and continue to hurt all the way though the TWW  :# So not fun!! (Tho they do end up looking fantastic lol)

• @rainbowturtles *secret bi handshake* !!

@dubcompanion they kept calling me Martha Stewart until I beat it into them that I am definitely Ina and no one else 

@mandi135 I hope your weekend is restful and stress free. 
    TTC  09/15
    *TW Loss mentioned*
    TTCAL 3/2016
    Acupuncture 11/16

• @Spartanrd4I hope that your good feeling lasts after Sunday as well and you are not triggered. I know it can be hard seeing someone with a baby after a recent loss. My SIL gave birth to my nephew just 2 weeks after my MC and I thought it would be so hard to visit her at the hospital. Honestly I was fine when I was there and loved seeing my new little nephew, it wasn't until after I left that I became upset. When I visited them again a week later at their home I was better though, sending you positive vibes.

@snobunniemel my cousin lives in AZ and is always posting pictures of the hikes around there, looks beautiful hope you enjoy! Oh and you dogs are beautiful! I just want to snuggle them!

@reneeannemm I am so sorry about your friend, that is something you never get over and I am very sorry that your birthday reminds you of it each year, sending good thoughts your way for that day. Your taco party sounds amazing! I never had hibiscus flower tacos but they seem interesting. Now I want tacos!! Also I am obsessed with the Barefoot Contessa and have her cookbooks and watch her show but never make anything because DH is too darn picky!

@wishilivedinflorida oh that would make me frustrated too!! And sometimes the weekends when you don't have much planned turns out to be the best ones!

@dubcompanion love a good lazy weekend! So awesome you play guitar I have wanted to learn for some time now!

Well Saturday morning I am doing my first ever boot camp class, I let myself go a little after the MC and have to focus about getting back to be and taking care of myself. Luckily one of my friends agreed to come with me so I am not the only one that is not exactly it "fit" shape! It is early Saturday morning so DH has already agreed to kick me out of bed and make sure I go because I have NO follow through when it comes to exercise! Then Saturday night we are going out with some friends for Hibachi, we haven't done that in forever, and I am sure I will consume more calories then I burnt off in that boot camp class! Then Sunday the usual food shopping, but with more focus this time because I am going to try and start meal prepping my lunches for the work week. I get bored extremely easily of eating the same food every day for lunch and cold cuts don't really appeal to me. If anyone has some good meal prep tips or recipes I am open to them!
    Married: June 2011
    TTC #1: September 2015-January 2016
    BFP #1: 1/25/16 - MMC Diagnosed 3/22/16
    TTCAL: June 2016
    BFP #2: 8/26/16 - EDD 5/9/17
    Jackson born 5/6/17 at 8:36 PM - 9lbs 5oz & 21in
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @lilylover27 i'm a big fan of mason jar salads. I do them every few weeks and prep 4 at a time on sundays and they stay fresh for the week. I do 4 because i find it's easier to prep the ingredients in 4s and I need at least 1 day a week to eat something for lunch other than salad. there's plenty of recipes if you google or just use your favorite salad combo with dressing on the bottom and greens up top and you're good to go.
    Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017
  • @snobunniemel, your dogs are super adorable. Have fun camping!

@reneeannemm, what a mix of emotions. I hope your party and seeing people you love and care about helps lift you up. On a side note, I am planning to make your vanilla cupcakes with strawberry buttercream frosting tonight from your blog!

*TW: children mentioned*

My youngest daughter turns 3 tomorrow so we are going to the zoo. DH usually works Saturdays so we are all excited to have him with us tomorrow since he took the day off. Tomorrow night I got suckered into bowling with the moms from my older daughter's kindergarten class. I am feeling bummed about doing that on DD2's birthday, but it's not until later so I think it will be ok.

*TW over*

Sunday is hopefully low-key. Just church and gardening, if the weather cooperates. I am going crazy not having seeds in the ground in 3 of my raised beds yet. It's rained every single day I have planned to plant lately.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Baby brother is graduating this weekend, so we'll be partaking in those festivities.  DH is out of town for the weekend, so spending Saturday night with some girl friends.
     Me: 27 | DH: 28
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 3/12/16 - MC 4/5/16
    BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @lilylover27 Exercising with friends is great. Since moving outside the city, it's been harder to coordinate that. I've done Insanity in lieu of working out with buddies. At the least, the hardcore routine made me cry over my triceps rather than over my lonely yoga mat.

@rainbowturtles I'm going to start temping this cycle too. I've mainly used CM, although we've BD'ed a lot these past few months, so it's gotten, er, difficult... lol. Also, boo to sore boobs. Mine swell also when they're sore during the TWW, and then my cami tanks (which I wear every day) are too tight. Ugh. Women probs.
  • @lilylover27 (ps: lilies are my favourite, too!) I'm struggling with this, too. Doing well with exercise but poorly with eating. Is there a post where we can all chat about this? I've noticed I'm not the only one struggling post-mc but I also don't want us to be too hard on ourselves. Thoughts?
  • edited May 2016
    @dubcompanion haha yes temping could definitely help with that! I was getting nervous because mine were sort of all over the place, but if I get another raised temp tomorrow then I think I should get crosshairs! It's kind of fun to do lol But also educational...I thought I was O'ing closer to cd14 but it might be closer to cd17. Also will be interesting to see if it's similar each month. I thought DH might be weird about it but he saw me doing it one morning and then just log it in my phone and was just like "huh!" and asked no questions about why I was doing it lmao 
    And also, yes, I swear sometimes I need two sets of bras and clothes for different times of the month. I even had a (gross) coworker who could tell where I was in my cycle because of my boobs....woman problems, for sure  :s

edit: because I forgot to reply in full
  • @MWoodside That's so exciting! I have three layers of it myself sitting on my kitchen table waiting to decorate. The strawberry buttercream is everyone's favourite! I'm making it for my cake, too. 

Out of curiosity, which margarine are you using? The spreadable Earth Balance, as well as the sticks work just right, but anything softer like Becel Vegan doesn't because it has too much moisture.
    TTC  09/15
    *TW Loss mentioned*
    TTCAL 3/2016
    Acupuncture 11/16

• JDMRSJDMRS member
    @lilylover27  I did a 4 week 3x a week boot camp after my MC- It felt good to exercise and I felt stronger pretty quickly. I also second the mason jar salads. I found a blog through pinterest that has 27 mason jar salad recipes, so it was hard to get bored quickly. Plus it forces me to eat more dark leafy greens and get some folate from a food source rather than strictly from my prenatals.  

• @rainbowturtles Yeah, mine don't get sore and swollen every single TWW, which just adds to the fun-ness of being a lady. I really should just invest in two different sized bras and tops anyway. I'm eager to see what patterns I find in temping! Luckily, my cycles are regular, so it should be easy to predict what days I expect to O.
  • lilylover27lilylover27 member
    edited May 2016
    @brooklyngirl18the dressing on the bottom doesn't make the salad soggy?

@dubcompanion I purchase a DVD with 20 minute kickboxing workouts from Jillian Michaels because I hate exercise and I was like 20 minutes I can do that, boy was I wrong! I have never been so sore from such a short workout! I used to do yoga but recently lost the patience for it.

@rainbowturtles I have never been "good" with my eating habits but I have been better than I am now. Also I think it will make me mentally feel better not to eat junk!

@JDMRS I was skeptical of the mason jaar salads for some reason, I can't even explain it but they never seemed like they would be good. I will have to pinterest stalk this now!

Edit: Because my words overlapped somehow..
  • @lilylover27 nope the salad stays fresh because of the way you layer in the mason jar. typically you put the dressing on the bottom, then dense ingredients (beans, grains, nuts) then layer ingredients with the greens at the top of the jar and seal. when you want to eat it, you just shake it up and pour out into a dish. here's an example of a what i mean https://www.buzzfeed.com/carolynkylstra/mason-jar-salads?utm_term=.edxPgQ69l#.oy9wx0Ra1

Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017
  • @reneeannemm, I am using spreadable Earth Balance! Phew. Question- what type of store carries icing sugar?

DD1 born 5/24/10.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

• @MWoodside It's just powdered sugar, so it should be with the regular sugar in the grocery store. I think icing sugar might be a regional term. Also called confectioner's sugar in some places. 
    TTC  09/15
    *TW Loss mentioned*
    TTCAL 3/2016
    Acupuncture 11/16

• @reneeannemm, ohhhhh, ok. LOL. I was like I can't find it anywhere. I have it in my pantry.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

• JDMRSJDMRS member
    @lilylover27
    This is the one I use for my recipes. 
    https://letslassothemoon.com/2014/12/20/mason-jar-recipes/

Love me some pinterest!
  • @MWoodside I try to use neutral language as much as possible, but it's hard! There are a lot of differences between regions - even words that are much different between the three Canadian cities I've lived in. The hardest is when trying to explain corn products to an international audience! Every place has its own and some are repeats but to describe something totally different.
    TTC  09/15
    *TW Loss mentioned*
    TTCAL 3/2016
    Acupuncture 11/16

• @dubcompanion and @brooklyngirl18 I'm happy to report I found the final doc after sifting through TEN copies of it on my drive in various stages of completion. Ugh! Thank goodness because my deadline is by Monday, and I work, which means it's really today. 

Also, I'm totally crushing today's life goals. Every speck of laundry is washed, dried, folded, and with the exception of the last load, even put away. Kitchen is clean, and my acres of ceramic tile are reasonably clean. I'm going for my run now! 

I will be returning to check out the salad links, because, yum. 
  • dubcompaniondubcompanion member
    edited May 2016
    @Wishilivedinflorida  Woo!! Gotta love getting to know new software/technology. It's best learned the hard way, though it's a pain in the ass. :wink:

@lilylover27 I actually own several Jillian Michaels DVDs. I think I'm going to restart them, since it's been a few years. I'd started to form muscle memory, but now that I've had pole fitness, Zumba, and Insanity in between - that's probably not a concern anymore. It's my fat that's been storing memories lately... of ice cream, fried bread, steak, buttered popcorn, and the Dove bar I'm digging into tonight... What were we talking about again?

Edit: because I suck at tagging
  • @dubcompanion mine actually don't hurt or swell every cycle, either...they definitely haven't done the two week thing in a while. It was a lot more common back when I was on BCP and before I started taking Maca
  • @JDMRS thanks! And yea I live on Pinterest...

@dubcompanion I used to do Zumba all the time, need to get back into it for at least the cardio because I hate running. And yes all the food! It's been all comfort food here, Mac and cheese, anything with potatoes and of course chocolate and ice cream!! Jealous of that dove bar!!