Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Formula for constipation

My 5 month old has been super constipated the last couple weeks. What formula is best to relieve her constipation? 

Re: Formula for constipation

• I would speak to your doc, it may not be the formula if this is something new, have you tried solids yet? That could be the cause of the constipation. No one can really tell you what formula will work with your babies system. 
  • Enfamil's Discomfort formula (the purple one) - the first ingredient is corn syrup so it makes pooping very easy. My son was always a gassy, painfully bloated little guy with painful poops and we went through many formulas before we found this one.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know about the best formula for constipation but do you feed your LO any solids yet? You could try some applesauce or prunes, if so. Applesauce always works wonder for my LO.
  • We add about half a teaspoon of light Karo syrup to a bottle if LO is having a hard time pooping. It has worked like a charm many of times, just takes a couple hours to kick in. Also, our pediatrician suggested the same thing, surprisingly.
  • I don't know about the best formula for constipation but do you feed your LO any solids yet? You could try some applesauce or prunes, if so. Applesauce always works wonder for my LO.
    Applesauce is actually not recommended when a baby is constipated because it can actually cause constipation. Think of the BRAT diet which helps with diarrhea- Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast. None of these are recommended when constipation occurs. 

Apple juice on the other hand is great (difference in pectin). Also any "p" foods - pears, prunes, peaches, peas, etc. 
    Applesauce is actually not recommended when a baby is constipated because it can actually cause constipation. Think of the BRAT diet which helps with diarrhea- Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast. None of these are recommended when constipation occurs. 

Apple juice on the other hand is great (difference in pectin). Also any "p" foods - pears, prunes, peaches, peas, etc. 
    Huh. I guess you're right! Applesauce always makes my LO go, so I didn't even think twice about that, but yeah, juice is probably better or the other things you suggested. I guess he's just special. :)