June 2016 Moms
Options

Science Rant

It just popped up on my Facebook newsfeed that too much folic acid may increase autism risk. This comes just days after we learn swaddling may increase SIDS risk. Granted, the folate study has not yet been peer reviewed and the swaddling findings are much more nuanced, but SERIOUSLY?!?!

Pregnancy and being a mom are hard enough...Can't scientific findings provide any good news for a change?!?!

Re: Science Rant

• Options
    Of course not! And whatever they say is good or bad today will be proven incorrect by new science in 5-8 years. We cannot win. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I also heard folic acid is causing more tongue tie. I just give up.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So much has changed even since my four year old was born. I try to stay informed, but not stress over every detail. Life is unfortunately never risk free. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    So much has changed even since my four year old was born. I try to stay informed, but not stress over every detail. Life is unfortunately never risk free. 
    I just find it frustrating that the things that really are foundational to pregnancy (folic acid) and early infancy (swaddling) have had daggers thrown at them. Will this stop me from swaddling my newborn and continuing with prenatals (when I can actually stomach them)? No, but I'm a big rule follower by nature, so any information that contradicts what I've held as firm tenets of motherhood makes me uneasy.

• Options
    alitriaalitria member
    @MrsAlliKat I was going to say that exact same thing!  Yeah, I can see how swaddling your baby and laying them on their face might cause more SIDS, but I'm pretty sure common sense would have told me that without the benefit of a research study.  I get it, news outlets want clicks and people love sensational stories, but knock it off already with acting like one study is the new parenting gospel, I've got enough to freak out about already.
  • Options
    huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    edited May 2016
    A problem is really in the way the media presents studies though. In that swaddling study, it said that babies swaddled and then placed on their side or stomach are at a higher risk for SIDS and that babies who are swaddled when they can roll over (like 3-4 months I believe it said) are at a higher risk. That is not new and is why they started the "back is best" campaigns.  But the media doesn't say that, they just say swaddling is related to SIDS.
    The article I read did say this . It was just a click bait headline. The infant care class I took, the nurse said the same thing. Swaddling a baby less than 2 months old is still fine.

Folic acid study is not peer reviewed. I believe it was taking too much of it may cause problems, but normal amounts should be fine. I'm not worried.

• Options
    My thing is, my dr would have notified me if he felt the risk of my child having autism was increased because my prenatal has folic acid in it. He did not, and I am not worried. I don't take any "extra" supplements or vitamins besides the prenatal, and it has less folic acid in it than an average non-prenatal.
    The swaddling issue is common sense. Don't swaddle and put on belly or side. Don't swaddle when they can roll over. Simple. I hate the media for the way they tell the story without the facts or the science.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Science is dumb.... media mishandles it... society swims in its fear... 
  • Options
    If you see people freaking out about it on Facebook or whatever, here's a great easy-to-read link to share: https://alphamom.com/parenting/baby/swaddling-sids-safety-common-sense-look-at-pediatrics-study/
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @GoldenmamaJ  Thanks for sharing the interview. I had read an article earlier that didn't cover as many details. As a FTM who is homozygous MTHFR and who's husband's family had several cases of autism, I have to say this freaked me out today. I know my body cannot process folic acid, which is why my dr told me to take L-methylfolate. I'm worried now about having been taking too much. I'm wondering if the moms in the study had MTHFR, were treated properly for it, or were supplementing with folic acid potentially creating an increase of it in their system. I intend to talk to my dr about this ASAP and push to get my blood tested for my levels. Although I'm worried it's all too little too late since I'm 35+1. Ugh. 
  • Options
    @arteduc8 no problem!  I was high risk for neural tube defects so they had me taking 4x the daily dose of folic acid for all of the first trimester so I flipped out when I heard the news too.  That interview was a huge comfort to me because it showed how little they really had as far as data and how many other factors could be at play.  Best of luck getting your doctor to test your levels and hopefully it all turns out well for you 
  • Options
    Also keep in mind that headlines are not written by the reporter - editors write them with an eye to grabbing readers' attention.  So, even a competently written article by a legitimate science reporter may have a misleading/"if it bleeds it leads" type headline.  Unfortunately, that's all that many people read.
  • Options
    @26pointrunningfor2 that video is amazing :)
  • Options
    Until I see new recommendations from the CDC, AAP, or WHO, I'm just going to stay the course of supplementation my doctor recommends.