April 2016 Moms
Options

Bedtime

What time is bedtime for your LO?  I completely forget what time we put DD to bed at this age.   DS is 4 weeks and we generally do a bath around 6:30 or so, then DH gives a bottle of pumped milk around 7/7:30 and then I take him up at 9 and nurse and put him to bed.  

His first stretch of sleep is usually 3-4 hours (we got 4.5 the other night), then usually 3 and then 2...  I can't wait until he's only waking up one time per night.

Re: Bedtime

• Options
    We usually put Roo down in his crib for the night around 9/10 he's doing mostly 4 hour stretches. He does a five hour stretch every other night so I'm just waiting for him to sleep through the night
  • Options
    amaniupendoamaniupendo member
    edited May 2016
    We put him down whenever he is ready. Usually between 9 and 11. Sometimes he will fall asleep earlier elsewhere and we move him.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MrsZkoMrsZko member
    His last feed is usually between 8 and 9 and bedtime follows that. He does cluster feed (4-6-8 ish) beforehand and somehow is able to give us a really decent stretch (anywhere between 4-8 hours) the first part of the night then it's every 3.
  • Options
    Bedtime usually falls right around 9 every night and she will sleep to 3:30-4:30. We are VERY thankful for the 6-7 hours we get
  • Options
    Our witching "hour" usually lasts from 10 PM until 1 or 2 AM so we just try to get sleep whenever possible. She's 5 weeks and no bedtime routine is doing the trick. She's also up every two hours. Sometimes she goes back to sleep, sometimes she doesn't. 
  • Options
    I'm surprised that he's going down this early so soon, but he goes down between 6 and 8. My other 3 go down at 7, 7:15, and 7:30 (or earlier), so his bedtime has been fitting in perfectly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm trying to create a bedtime routine: bath, change pyjamas, massage, and a feed. He's asleep between 8-9ish. LO is up on average every 2.5 hours. We're working on it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I usually BF DD around 8:30 or 9 and she falls asleep in her RNP downstairs while H and I hang out. We bring her upstairs whenever we go to bed- usually between 9 and 10. She often sleeps 4-5 hours for her first chunk of sleep then I nurse her whenever she wakes up. Her next block of sleep is typically about 2.5-3 hours. She is only up for about 15 min in the middle of the night (which is AMAZING- all of you who have babies who are up for hours have my respect).

She just hit 5 weeks. I would like to start thinking about more of a routine in the next week or 2.
  • Options
    Bedtime is typically between 10:30 and 11.  Not my choice but our. "Witching hour" is from 7-10 ish.  We have to walk and it is seriously at least 1030 before she will go down and stay down for the night.
  • Options
    T's nights are still so unpredictable at 4 weeks. He wakes somewhere between every 2-3 hours and is up from 1-230 without fail. I try to put him down around 715, so I can put DD down at 730. By this time, DD was the schedule queen (still is). I need my scheduled life back! 
  • Options
    Bedtime? Structure? I thought Mason just told me what to do forever now.
    This is also my life. We have no bedtime and not much of a routine since he doesn't bathe daily and his sleep is so unpredictable. "Bedtime" can be anytime between 7-12. 
  • Options
    We sort of have a schedule, though honestly I feel as though DS did even better for the first few weeks! We typically try to put him to bed 8-8:30-ish (no real bedtime routine yet, though I am working to establish a set one in the next couple of weeks!), he'll wake at 11:30-12 or so, then 3-ish before getting up for the day 6:30-7. Some of his night wakings are looooong though. Last night he woke at 3:10 and didn't go back to sleep until 4:30. That's longer than he typically is awake during the day! 

Does anyone else get the Lucie's List weekly updates? Last week (week 3 for us) was about sleep and she made a comment about how it should only take 10-15 minutes to care for baby during a night waking, 30 at most. DS takes 25 minutes just to nurse (if I'm lucky) and then needs to burp and sit up/be held upright for 10-ish minutes before being changed and going back to bed. Does anyone's baby go down in such a short amount of time (teach me your ways!)?
  • Options
    DD seems to typically cluster feed from 8-10ish and then does her first stretch of night time sleep. It works nicely around DS going to bed around 730, so I'm just going with it. 
  • Options
    @ladylolly89 That sounds about right for normal night wakings for LO. I smell her and only change her if she's dirty, nurse her side lying in bed, 10-15 minutes she's out. I usually let her lay there a few minutes to make sure she's asleep before I transfer her back to the PnP. To be fair, though, I don't feel like her 15 mins at night is as efficient as her 15 mins during the day, so she's up more frequently because she doesn't eat fully from being too sleepy. I may change her every time regardless to see if she'll wake up more to eat better. She has been pooping less so I rarely need to change her at night...that may be part of it too, less wakefulness, less eating.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    We sort of have a schedule, though honestly I feel as though DS did even better for the first few weeks! We typically try to put him to bed 8-8:30-ish (no real bedtime routine yet, though I am working to establish a set one in the next couple of weeks!), he'll wake at 11:30-12 or so, then 3-ish before getting up for the day 6:30-7. Some of his night wakings are looooong though. Last night he woke at 3:10 and didn't go back to sleep until 4:30. That's longer than he typically is awake during the day! 

Does anyone else get the Lucie's List weekly updates? Last week (week 3 for us) was about sleep and she made a comment about how it should only take 10-15 minutes to care for baby during a night waking, 30 at most. DS takes 25 minutes just to nurse (if I'm lucky) and then needs to burp and sit up/be held upright for 10-ish minutes before being changed and going back to bed. Does anyone's baby go down in such a short amount of time (teach me your ways!)?
    Not at this stage in the game! Maybe at 4-6 mos.
  • Options

A good feed takes us about 20 min then I keep her upright and burp for about 15 min.
    if she's coming unswaddled i re-wrap her too if she doesn't have a poopy butt.
    all together it takes 45 min or so at least!
  • Options

It usually takes 25 minutes. To feed change reswaddle and put him back down. He's usually still awake when I put him down but he's content and falls to sleep shortly after that.
  • Options
    I always change her then feed her
    in the night.  She screams bloody murder at every diaper change and then I feed her and she is able to go back to sleep fairly easily. It takes 30-40 minutes for each feeding in the night. She's just 2 weeks so we don't have much for routines yet. 
  • Options
    wildtotwildtot member
    We usually have to change at each feeding during the night (sometimes even twice). This little guy is super hard to get back to sleep. Burping him wakes him up and will not stop crying. He'll fall asleep in my arms or next to me but the minute I transfer him he wakes up. Whole different story during the day. If we try to put him to bed before 10 we end up having a harder time and worse night. 
  • Options
    We have had some horrific night feedings, where he's refused to get back to bed for hours. Now I have a little bedside setup and everything is done completely in bed unless he needs to be changed, so I keep him as drowsy and swaddled as possible. Preventing him from fully waking has allowed us to get back to sleep much faster, and now we're around the 20-30 minute mark.
  • Options

I'm in and out in less than 20 min. DD is 5.5 weeks old. She barely wakes up and is generally an efficient feeder anyway, so she's quick.
  • Options
    wildtotwildtot member
    I was up an hour and a half last night till my DH took over. Once LO calmed down we gave up on the crib and had him sleep with us. We just can't seem to get him back to bed after burping. He at least slept almost 6 hours before but was super hungry.
  • Options
     I don't want to wake up DH so I grab her from the bassinet next to the bed and take her to the other side of the house to the nursery to change,feed etc at night. She generally doesn't wake much more or fuss just because we have a few minute walk so it's whatever works for you .
    however it would be easier to swaddle her on the bed.
    im using the floor in the nursery after I feed her to wrap her up again and it's a pain in the ass
  • Options
    No bedtime here, its whenever he falls asleep! But usually he falls asleep dor the night between 8-9 and we either hold him or put him in the RnP which is in the tv room with us. I transfer him to his bassinet in our bedroom or bring the RnP into our bedroom whenever I go to bed. Im not sure how one goes about putting a 6 week old on a schedule? I dont bathe him everyday and he eats every 3 or so hours. Also how are some ofyou not changing pee diapers during the night? I change him at every feed, this kid pees a lot! Usually his diapers are soaked and soggy when I change him. 

• Options
    @loveymay I can usually skip one diaper change in the middle of the night for the sake of keeping him very drowsy and getting him to pass out faster, but yeah it's one soaked diaper by the time I get it next time.
  • Options
    adifrogadifrog member
    I don't think I can call it a bedtime if she's up every two to four hours.  She eats in the 9:00 hour, sleeps til 11:00/12:00 (the witching hour!), then gets up at 3ish and 6 or 7.  
  • Options
    loveymay said:
    No bedtime here, its whenever he falls asleep! But usually he falls asleep dor the night between 8-9 and we either hold him or put him in the RnP which is in the tv room with us. I transfer him to his bassinet in our bedroom or bring the RnP into our bedroom whenever I go to bed. Im not sure how one goes about putting a 6 week old on a schedule? I dont bathe him everyday and he eats every 3 or so hours. Also how are some ofyou not changing pee diapers during the night? I change him at every feed, this kid pees a lot! Usually his diapers are soaked and soggy when I change him. 

Yes, I can't imagine not changing LO at night! He would soak right through his diaper. We usually use cloth (less leaks but requiring more frequent changes) but he will soak through a disposable if left longer than 4-5 hours. 
  • Options
    30-40min. 20 to eat. 5-10 to burp... 5-10 diaper change, unwrap/rewrap,etc... He likes to eat a all I have. Once he figures out how to use his tongue better, I think nursing will go quicker. He's almost six weeks old.
  • Options
    @ladylolly89 we can usually pull it off in 20 or less 80% of the time. He eats fast though.
  • Options
    I am so jealous of you ladies. T wakes up 3 times a night- around 930, 12, and 330. His 930 and 330 wake ups take about 45 minutes from start to him being back asleep. His 1230 wake up takes no less than 1.5 hours and sometimes as long as 3 hours. Every. Night. Sometimes he's cranky, but he's always wide awake. Soooo exhausting.
  • Options
    MrsZkoMrsZko member
    I am so jealous of you ladies. T wakes up 3 times a night- around 930, 12, and 330. His 930 and 330 wake ups take about 45 minutes from start to him being back asleep. His 1230 wake up takes no less than 1.5 hours and sometimes as long as 3 hours. Every. Night. Sometimes he's cranky, but he's always wide awake. Soooo exhausting.
    Oh I'm so sorry. That sounds exactly like my first son...it will get better but in the meantime I know how you're feeling and it's incredibly hard to be energetic and happy the next day, even more so to care for an older child...
  • Options
    Emmie goes to bed at the same time as her brother (4 years old) and sister (2 years old).  We go upstairs around 7 (6:30 if its a bath night) and change into PJs and then read books and drink babas (our name for bottles).  After the older two brush their teeth we all head into DS and DD bedroom to "rock the chair".  The kids each have a turn rocking on the rocking chair with me and Emmie while I sing songs (sometimes she likes to nurse during this process...she is mainly formula bottle fed but we nurse a couple times a day).  After DD and DS have had their turns they get tucked in and Emmie and I continue to "rock the chair" for a couple more songs before we say good night and head to her room.  Some nights she is fast asleep from rocking the chair and I swaddle her and she is out in her crib.  Other nights we sit together in her room and either snuggle or nurse or finish a bottle and then I swaddle her and lay her in her crib semi-awake and she goes to sleep.   I am usually back downstairs between 8:20 and 8:30 (all three kids asleep in their beds).  Emmie will then sleep until about 1:30 (she has slept as late as 3:30 before) and then she is up again sometime between 5 and 6.  When she wakes at night I do not turn on any lights and limit my talking while she drinks between 4 to 6 ounces of formula and has a diaper change before going back into her crib semi-awake (30 to 40 minutes after starting a feeding I am back in bed).  Emmie is now 7 weeks old and has been my most laid back and easy going baby.