January 2017 Moms

Are you planning on finding out the gender?

ju0725ju0725 member
edited April 2016 in January 2017 Moms
Who is wanting to find out and who is wanting to keep the gender under wraps (often referred to as team green) until the big day?

Are you planning on finding out the gender? 179 votes

Are you crazy there is no way I'd make it that long! I have to plan!
69% 124 votes
Team Green all the way!
20% 37 votes
We haven't even talk about it yet.
10% 18 votes

Re: Are you planning on finding out the gender?

• LJ623LJ623 member
    In theory, being Team Green would work for DH & I because we already have possible names for both genders and the nursery theme we want to use is gender neutral....that being said, I am too much of a planner to consider going Team Green...I hate surprises and I just need to make lists and plan things out, so we're definitely going to find out.

BFP: 1/31/15; MMC: 3/31/15
    BFP: 4/26/16; Baby Girl Born: 1/3/17
    BFP: 10/1/21; EDD: 6/10/22
  • Loading the player...
  • My husband wants to find out, but he isn't doing any of the planning so I am sticking to my guns. I am really hoping he will agree and wait with me! Our daughter didn't sleep one night in her crib until she was 12 months so I am not so worried about getting baby's room 100% ready until baby is here. I will buy some gender neutral new born (mostly 0-3 months) clothes. If it's a girl we have pretty much everything we need clothes wise. If it's a boy our main big ticket items are gender neutral already. I am pretty sure this will be our last so I would like it to go out with the ultimate suprise!
  • Sunflower9939Sunflower9939 member
    edited April 2016
    Absolutely! Even though we have one of each already and therefore everything we would need, I have to know if it's possible lol
    BFP 07/14/2012, EDD 03/22/2013, DD born 03/21/2013
    BFP 05/20/2014, EDD 01/29/2015, DS born 01/14/2015
    BFP 04/25/2016, EDD 01/01/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DH thinks I'll change my mind, but I want to be surprised. Very few things left in life to be surprised by, might as well enjoy what we can. I want to have an animal/jungle/Noah's ark themed nursery, which can be very gender neutral.

Me: 33 DH: 38 Married: 1/10/15

1st Pregnancy EDD: 1/1/17 Born 1/10/17 Team Green turned Blue!

2nd Pregnancy EDD: 11/6/18 Born 11/09/18 Baby Boy!

3rd Pregnancy EDD: 12/?/21

Children are like casseroles; it takes a lot to mess them up.

• Animal/jungle/Noah's ark nursery sounds awesome @PMForbie. OH doesn't want to find out but I bet we still will. I'm thinking of a "space adventures" nursery theme, which I guess is pretty neutral too. I've come to accept that no matter whether we have a boy or a girl, they're probably going to be very geeky as the child of two engineers.
  • edited April 2016

@canavara Main reason why I want to go the animal route is because I have a ton of stuffed animals from growing up. I was obsessed with tigers, lions, cheetahs, and all the jungle creatures. Ironic thing is, I just told DH last weekend that we are not getting rid of them because they will be used in the nursery. Then we find out 3 days later we'll be preparing a nursery! LOL

I love the space theme. My DH and I are huge Doctor Who, Star Trek, Star Wars, and anything to do with time and space fans :)

Me: 33 DH: 38 Married: 1/10/15

1st Pregnancy EDD: 1/1/17 Born 1/10/17 Team Green turned Blue!

2nd Pregnancy EDD: 11/6/18 Born 11/09/18 Baby Boy!

3rd Pregnancy EDD: 12/?/21

Children are like casseroles; it takes a lot to mess them up.

• Cute nursery ideas! I want to keep our nursery gender neutral as well....not sure what we'll do yet....Haven't thought that far yet  ;)
  • I really don't know. My H will go with whatever I feel most strongly about, I know. I've always thought waiting to find out the sex at birth would be fun but.... Now I sort of just want to know! Our nursery won't have a theme regardless, just mid century kitsch/ neutral with pops of color and fun accents like the rest of the house
  • Team green for sure. We were team green last time around and right towards the end of my pregnancy my Doc slipped up and pretty much ruined it for me. I'm getting my team green experience this time, damn it! 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I definitely want to know as soon as I can! I have tons of clothes from DD and if we end up with a boy, I want to get rid of all the pink so I don't have to worry about it after the fact. And if it's a girl, then I can have the time to go through everything and get organized once we get a nursery set up.

• I want to be Team Green this time though I've never done it before. Now that I have at least one of each already, it doesn't make a difference to me. H wants to know though, probably because he has so little control over any of the rest of it after the +HPT I suppose. I'm going to put my foot down though. No envelope, no notes in the record, barring a complication with the sex, I don't want to know or an opportunity for anyone to cave and peek. I'm 35, this will be my 4th, it's likely my last chance to experience one of nature's few surprises.
  • ju0725 said:
    I should have added the option of "I want to be Team Green but I don't think I will make it that long."

Exactly this! Our nursery plan is gender neutral so we really don't need to know. I always said I would want to wait but now I don't know if I'm strong enough to wait.

• ju0725 said:
    I should have added the option of "I want to be Team Green but I don't think I will make it that long."

Exactly this! Our nursery plan is gender neutral so we really don't need to know. I always said I would want to wait but now I don't know if I'm strong enough to wait.

You can do it! So worth it.

Oh, and your siggy makes me really want wine. So thanks for that.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Want to find out as soon as we can! I'm sure there will be enough surprises during childbirth :)
    Me: 34, DH: 33 // Met: 10.21.2007 // Married: 9.18.2015
    BFP: 4.29.2016 // EDD: 1.2.2017 (IT'S A BOY!) Born 12/26/16
    BFP: 2.10.19 // and MC on 3.19.19
    BFP: 7.9.19 // EDD 3.16.20

• MrsRahlMrsRahl member
    We were team green last time and probably will this time too, but I am tempted to experience the other way around this time. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • MrsRahlMrsRahl member
    edited May 2016
    @LastMangoI'm surprised your doctor knew! Ours said it isn't relevant info so it isn't written in their records even for the A/S, etc.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • My theory is this: your baby is going to be a surprise no matter the gender. You have no idea what the beautiful creation that is growing inside you is going to look like until baby is born. That being said, why not find out the gender? 
    My crazy planner/organizer type personality needs to know! 
    However, if you choose to wait until birth, good for you! It's your pregnancy, so don't let anyone make you feel like you're doing something wrong by not finding out the gender. 
  • ju0725ju0725 member
    My husband want to find out. I want to wait. I know it's a surprise either way. We will see how it goes. My daughter who is 2 started telling me yesterday that she had a sister in my belly. 
  • MrsRahl said:
    @LastMangoI'm surprised your doctor knew! Ours said it isn't relevant info so it isn't written in their records even for the A/S, etc.
    I made her look just to make sure everything looked ok "down there" since no one had looked. My doctor always switched it up and referred to baby as he or she all throughout my pregnancy. But after I let her look, she immediately referred to baby as she...sure enough....

Pregnancy Ticker

• MrsRahlMrsRahl member
    I'm confused. Who looked where? I had my A/S at an ultrasound place and they don't record the sex, so there was no way of my doctor knowing. Did your ob do the ultrasound? 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • MrsRahlMrsRahl member
    My phone isn't quoting the text when I hit reply for some reason...
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • It's so fun reading everyone's perspective!

My husband says and I quote "Hates Surprises" so I asked him if he can keep secrets bc I LOVE being surprised!!

When do we get a chance for that "Omg" moment. With our lives planned so thoroughly I feel like personally it's a game of been there saw that.

So in hopes that my husband doesn't spill the beans I'm totally go team green.

For the nursery my colour palette will be a cool grey with colours inspired from succulents. 
  • Yes, if we make it that far.  I'm AMA so I'm assuming they'll do a cell-free DNA test.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • MrsRahl said:
    I'm confused. Who looked where? I had my A/S at an ultrasound place and they don't record the sex, so there was no way of my doctor knowing. Did your ob do the ultrasound? 
    This wasn't at the anatomy scan. This was during one of my regular OB appointments around 32 weeks. My doctor offered to wheel in the old-school black and white ultrasound machine so we could take a peak at the baby and see what position baby was in (so yes, she did that particular ultrasound). That's when I asked her to look at the baby's sex organs to make sure everything looked ok but not to tell me the sex.

Pregnancy Ticker

• H informed me last night that he definitely wants to find out the sex so I guess we cleared that right up! No Team Green here!

• MrsRahlMrsRahl member
    LastMango said:
    MrsRahl said:
    This wasn't at the anatomy scan. This was during one of my regular OB appointments around 32 weeks. My doctor offered to wheel in the old-school black and white ultrasound machine so we could take a peak at the baby and see what position baby was in (so yes, she did that particular ultrasound). That's when I asked her to look at the baby's sex organs to make sure everything looked ok but not to tell me the sex.
    Ah, ok, that makes sense. What a bummer when you were down home stretch!!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • @LastMango @MrsRahl My OB did all my scans including my anatomy scan. Is that unusual?
  • @LastMango @MrsRahl My OB did all my scans including my anatomy scan. Is that unusual?
    I don't think it's too unusual. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• @LastMango I didn't think so! But I guess the way I read your post made it sound like it was odd. 
  • @LittleMissTimeLord  I love love love this image, thank you for sharing it. Very important points :) 

I said Team Green in the survey, but what we're actually planning is to find out right near the end. My in-laws are super super into rigid gender roles and I'm dreading receiving nothing but frilly neon pink dresses if the scan says "girl." I wanted to be Team Green all the way, but my husband wants to know early (not because he has a preference, he just wants MOAR DATA).

So in a compromise we've negotiated, we'll not find out until the very end (and the nursery is decorated and the baby shower has been showered). But during one of the final appointments when I'm miserable and massive and just want it to be over, we can find out then.
  • @poetryandoceans Make sure you tell you doctor your plan for sex reveal, otherwise they might not be able to tell you.  Since we were team green, nothing was written in our file so our doctor couldn't have told us later on even if we wanted to know.  Just heads up so you won't be disappointed... :smile: 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ashanne88 Makes perfect sense :) I'll let my midwife know to make a note of it at some point. I'm actually perfectly fine waiting until the birth itself, it's my husband that wants to know early. I keep telling him that he should get used to uncertainty if we're going to have kids, so maybe it would be good for him to just have to wait!
  • We were Team Green the last 2 pregnancies and absolutely LOVED it. However, this little bundle is a surprise and our last baby, so we're thinking about doing a gender reveal party! We'll see...surprise is so fun too!
    BabyGaga
    DS1 - 03/31/2006
    DS2 - 12/31/2008
    DS3 - 06/26/2012
    DS4 - 08/07/2014
  • @littlemisstimelord, I love that graphic! Thanks for sharing - I'm 100% sure i'll be using that frequently in conversations.

June Siggy Challenge: Robert Downey Jr

37 yr old mama with 4yr old DD and 2 yr old DS

Babysizer Manly Pregnancy Tracker

• Well we were team green and if I have anything to do with it we will remain team green. He, dh saw a cute sex reveal announcement where you shoot this thing and it explodes in to a blue or pink powder and now team green went out the window for him.... 

It's a BOY

• We were Team Green with DS1 and it was amazing! We found out with DS2 which was wonderful in it's own way.  I felt like since I had a 1 year old during my pregnancy it was more difficult to bond with the new baby and giving DS2 a name really helped me feel connected to him.  

I'd like to find out again this time.  Mainly because I want to prepare myself in case it's a girl (not because I'd be disappointed, only because boys are all we know at this point).