January 2016 Moms
Options

Rolls Out of Tummy Time - Suggestions Please

My baby has always disliked tummy time but we made her do it.  We also spent a lot of time teaching her how to roll from her tummy to her back, which she now can do really well.  Unfortunately, now within seconds of being put on her tummy she rolls right on her back (and smiles and looks at me to congratulate her - like I was when we were practicing this skill).  I proceed to put her back on her tummy but she rolls right back over.  So now she does 0 tummy time because she just won't stay on her tummy.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  What can I do?  

Re: Rolls Out of Tummy Time - Suggestions Please

• Options
    My girl is doing the same thing, but in reverse (back to tummy). She has never done tummy time due to her severe AR. The second she flips to her belly, she screams bloody murder, in pain. I brought it to the attention of my pediatrician and he said that as long as she is laying on our chest, or sitting with assistance, tummy time is not a necessity. But her rolling from her back to her belly isn't really preventable. 

Does your LO have good head control? He said that is the main reason they want babies doing tummy time. 
  • Options
    Yep we are in the same situation! Like PP said as long as she is getting time laying on someone's chest or sitting up with assistance that's fine. We put our DD in her bumbo and she likes us to help hold her up in a sitting position. She has never liked tummy time but we get those muscles worked in other ways.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you both!  Yes she loves sitting up and has good head control.  I'm going to try some tummy time across my lap today.
  • Options
    EbiejayEbiejay member
    Have you tried tummy time over a boppy? Or a bean bag/pillow? She may find it harder to roll over then. We've also done tummy time on an exercise ball and on our chests and laps. Or you could do the Superman, hold her up in the air above you using your hands and feet. 

I've heard that time spent vertical is just as good too, but it's not just the back and neck muscles, it's the arms and shoulders too. An expert told me yesterday that it's important they do learn to crawl (even if that's after they walk) as the muscle strength is a trickle down effect that will later affect how they are able to write, and other things. So tummy time is still important. Good luck!
  • Options
    Ljohn43Ljohn43 member
    Graham does the same thing so I just keep putting him on his tummy and letting him roll to his back over and over again for the same period of time I would have done tummy time. I figure it's a good workout for him and probably just as beneficial as being on his tummy and pushing up. 
  • Options
    Don't forget that baby wearing requires LO to use the same muscles as tummy time. Our girl has AR, too, and this has been our solution.