February 2013 Moms
Options

Friend constantly overdresses her child in hot weather

My friend has had her first baby 9 weeks ago and adores her and fusses over her constantly. I have noticed however that every time I see her and her baby girl (a couple of times a week), the baby is always in a capsule with a blanket over it. When I look inside, she is wrapped up in another blanket and under that she is wearing a full long outfit. It is the middle of summer in Australia right now and the days are very hot, at least 30 degrees or more and everyone is sweaty. I've asked my friend about why she has on so many layers and she says baby likes it and "you are supposed to swaddle your baby cause its good for them". The baby always has hair that looks like she has been heavily sweating even though she has a bath every night and is regularly fussing and crying. How can I explain to my friend that she is not doing the best thing for her girl? She has a beautiful soul but not the brightest mind and a lot of the time she ignores much needed advice.

Re: Friend constantly overdresses her child in hot weather

• Options
    Someone once asked me if I had heard about sids, and I immediately stopped putting onesies under all of my little guys clothes. I knew about sids, I just thought he was always supposed to have a onesie underneath his clothes, even in summer???! Lol :)
  • Options
    I live in the US. It's customary (I am black) that we keep our babies covered regardless of the weather. My mom lives in the South where it's primarily hot and you see all babies covered. My daughter always had a onesie one. In the warmer months, she had pants on over them. I think there are bigger problems in life to worry about and everyone parents differently.