November 2016 Moms

Nursery Themes - Whatcha Got?

Has anyone been wrestling over this idea besides me? 

Have you already chosen? 

Are you waiting to find out the sex first? 

Do you dig the neutral colored styles that are going around these days or do you lean towards more color? 

-----

I can't seem to decide for myself yet. I found a cute pinterest with like air balloons that make me think of an adventure that I find appealing. Having a hard time deciding though. I'd love to hear other ladies ideas. 

https://www.babybottega.com/images/detailed/5/little-hands-wallpaper-mural-falling_murale_little_hands_baby_botega_ambiance.jpg

Re: Nursery Themes - Whatcha Got?

• Someone here on nov16 (I forget who) said something about a studio ghibli themed nursery and once I started browsing baby rooms with the same theme I fell in love.
  • @Little+Tiny

I had to google that to find out what it was but oh my gosh it's so cute! And it utilizes bright bold colors too!! 

I have a weird and possibly irrational fear of using things that are too neutral. I had read somewhere at some point that bold colors helped stimulate brain and was good for babies. I can't find it now but I'm like omg what if I get too neutral. (I'm totally drawn to neutral by the way it would totally be my preference if I wasn't worried about this lol)

• Loading the player...
  • @Oakleypoozles If you really think about it, the decoration of the nursery is more for the parents than the baby because honestly the baby could care less what color the walls are and what kind of crib it's sleeping in. I say if you like neutral colors then go neutral. There's all kinds of other ways the baby can be stimulated with bold colors.
  • @whitneyf1  oh that's really pretty. I love how clean and organized it looks with just enough pop in the prints to really bring it to life. 

• @atcwag oh man, love Harry Potter can't even tell you! I b et that is insanely cool! 

• atcwagatcwag member
    @atcwag oh man, love Harry Potter can't even tell you! I b et that is insanely cool! 
    We're minor(major)ly obsessed. It is pretty cool. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • sweetlyuntiedsweetlyuntied member
    edited May 2016
    If we have a boy, I like a slightly nautical theme, something along the lines of the below. Before we had DD, we had bought a couple of Monet Prints on a trip to Paris. They never really fit anywhere in our apartment, so we ended up sort of designing her nursery around them.

On our last Paris trip H bought this Monet print (second image) and showed it to me saying "maybe for baby number two?" So I like the idea of keeping with that theme. 

If if its a girl I'm really not sure. I feel like I exhausted my girl design skills the last time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • sweetlyuntiedsweetlyuntied member
    edited May 2016
    @Oakleypoozles If you really think about it, the decoration of the nursery is more for the parents than the baby because honestly the baby could care less what color the walls are and what kind of crib it's sleeping in. I say if you like neutral colors then go neutral. There's all kinds of other ways the baby can be stimulated with bold colors.

Seconded that the nursery is for you. With DD, we moved her in at 3 months (H snores, it had to happen). I adore her nursery. I felt like it was such a cozy and comfortable place. It didn't necessarily make the 3AM feedings better, but it might have helped my mood a little. So my advice is to design a room you like to be in.

Also, depending on the layout of your house, your baby might really only end up spending time in the nursery while sleeping (this is the case for us). And if that's the case, you might want to go with more soothing colors. Save the bold designs for the playroom/play area. The last thing you want at bedtime is more stimulation.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh man I really love how unique the Flamingos are and all the tones of both sets are like perfect. Realllly digging the woodland (I have been considering because it can be unisex and I hate waiting to find out lol)

• My friend has a nursery kind of like the one @whitneyf1 posted and I love it! I wanted to do an elephant and giraffe theme in muted colors but then I saw these anchor sheets that I fell in love with. At the moment the theme is anchors and whales, although I did see an elephant mobile that was so adorable the other day. My mom is going to do a nursery at her house as well so I might have her decorate in whichever theme I don't pick.
  • RoxellRoxell member
    @FiancB omg border collies are the best! I don't really like mobiles but that is pretty cute.
  • RoxellRoxell member
    ^^ I second this
  • campbaby76campbaby76 member
    edited May 2016
    @FiancB  where did you find the mobile? 

• FiancBFiancB member
    @FiancB  where did you find the mobile? 
    There's someone that makes custom felt animals. I found her first on facebook- Pocket Pause. Only recently went to her website and then found she sells them through fiberfriendsonline.com. They're, um, really expensive, it turns out. I'm hoping that if mine isn't a custom (I basically want what's above; it doesn't have to look exactly like my dog) that it won't be quite so much. That would definitely be a big splurge for us but we are majorly cheaping out on everything else, so. 
  • For a girl nursery I'm doing purple floral.  Not really a theme I guess.  For a boy nursery I want to do blue and green with a few whales here and there, but nothing over the top.  Our boy name is Jonah so I don't want a ton of whales because of the whole "Jonah and the Whale" cheesiness but I've always loved whales :\ 
    Me: 31 | H: 32
    Married September 2014
    TTC #1 December 2014
    RE appt 12/2015
    CD3 labs normal | HSG 1/8/16 clear | H's SA excellent
    Dx: Unexplained Infertility
    February 2016, cycle 16 - cycle #1 with Letrozole 5mg + TI | Progesterone=20.6
    BFP 2/24/16 - EDD 11/7/16
    It's a girl!
    Isla Quinn born 10/29/16 at 38w5d via C/S
    --------
    TFAS March 2018
    RE consultation 8/2/18
    Suprise! BFP 8/8/18 natural cycle | EDD 4/19/19
    It's a girl!
    Afton Noelle born 4/10/19 at 38w5d via natural VBAC
  • shevaCCshevaCC member
    I'm sticking with Woodland Creatures, as it's been since 2012. I still love it.

• @shevaCC  Oh my gosh I love it. Your organization cubbies are super awesome too and I love how you have the books down low where the babies can get at them! Totally awesome that even the humidifier is woodland themed hehe :) 

• lrg14lrg14 member
    For a boy we're thinking travel/adventure. For girl I've also looked at the coral and navy for colors, but also like lavender.
  • @EDK2010 LOVE your boy theme!! So cute! Right up my alley
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • EDK2010            I love coral and navy for a girls room! I saw the cutest room the other day and was so excited to show it to hubby and he hates it! I was shocked and annoyed b/c he said that I could do what I wanted to with her room (since shes a girl). Now hes taking it back! grrrrr. Anyway hope you get to do it. :-)

• m6aguam6agua member
    We painted our nursery light grey with a dark grey accent wall. Accent colors will be teal, orange, and yellow based off the bedding we plan on getting.

TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• m6agua  that's a super cute soft but also bright color palette! When you get it all together you should come back and post pics! 

• For my first, we went just went with bright colors. We didn't want it to get too "rainbow", so I was looking for mostly non-primary colors. I found this fabric and made a crib skirt and quilt using the chevron and star fabrics (the ones with the red and the gray). 

The nursery was also serves as the playroom and is right outside the kitchen. It's worked really well for having the toys blend in with the design, rather than fighting it. We just embraced the crazy!

Will probably reuse everything for this LO, except I hope to get around to making a new quilt. I want each baby to have their own!

Kid #1: Two years old
    Kid #2: Due Date 11/16/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • atcwagatcwag member
    aquasocks said:
    atcwag said:
    New baby will room in with us for 6 months + (DS was with us until 9 months). At that point, we'll move new baby to the nursery (DS is still there now). It's Harry Potter themed. 
    I would love to see pics of your HP nursery! We are big fans! 
    I also had a HP-themed shower with DS that was stinkin' awesome. ....and announcement this time is HP-themed. Suffice to say, we're a little HP-crazy. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We're doing elephants with either a navy or teal accent in the nursery and then the eventual play room will be geek themed (star Wars, Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings mostly).
    Grayson Matthew Due 11/4/16
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• I love the whimsy style of alice in wonderland and comic books are always the coolest themes! 

• We've had neutral Winnie the Pooh since our first daughter and it's staying.
    Daughter #1 - Feb 2012
    Daughter #2 - Oct 2014
    Daughter #3 - Nov 2016
    Baby #4 - Sept 2018
  • @lizap77 Reallly realllllllly beautiful colors. Those examples are gorgeous! I'm a huge sucker for the chevron too love it! 

• I'm with yah on the zebra and cheetah. It's not my favorite. The chevron though I can't lie I'm a fan.