November 2015 Moms
Options

Up at 4:15am to start the day...

My almost 6 month old consistently goes to bed around 6:30pm and wakes up at 4:30am ready to start the day. We've tried a later bed time but he's hungry and fussy once we pass the 7pm mark and he still wakes before 4:30am. Any suggestions out there? I've adjusted by going to bed by 9pm myself but a 5:30am wake up time (or later) would be ideal!!!

Re: Up at 4:15am to start the day...

• Options
    This is going to sound backwards, but maybe try putting him to bed earlier. My Jane was going to bed between 6:30 and 7 and getting up around 4:30. I also tried putting her to bed later only to have a grumpier night baby and a just as early riser. Then I tried putting her to bed earlier (we start bedtime routine at 5, sometimes as early as 4:30). Now she tends to get up between 5:45 and 6:15. Everybody thinks I'm crazy for putting her to bed so early, but then I tell them how long she sleeps and they are impressed.

I start bedtime routine (which lasts about 30 minutes) at the very first yawn or eye rub that occurs at 4:30 or later.
  • Options
    Is he getting enough sleep with naps throughout the day? Babies usually need about 13-15 hours a day at this point. Since he sleeps 10 hours, is he getting the other 5? Are all his naps earlier in the day? Try getting him a nap around 4:00 and waking him up at 5:30-ish. Maybe then he can wait to go to bed until 7:30.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would be so sad if my little one went to sleep around 5 for the day and didn't wake up until around 7.  I would only be able to hold her on the weekends. 
    I don't work as long of hours as you do I think, but I feel the same way. However, the struggle is real between trying to get enough quality time together in the evening, while getting her to bed early enough that she isn't a cranky monster. We definitely have not figured out the right formula yet. 
  • Options
    My LO has been waking up around 4 am as well. I will change his diaper, nurse him then put him back in his crib (awake). He fusses from about 10-15 mins but usually falls back asleep. He will then sleep until around 7:30. 
  • Options
    Not to be a Debbie downer but dd1 was a 4am riser and still gets up with the chickens at 3.5 years old.  Nothing worked for him. 
  • Options
    I agree with PP about the nap thing. DS takes a nap at 5 on the way home from daycare. He usually wakes up on his own about 5:39 We still start bed time at 7 and he falls asleep between 7:30 and 8.
  • Options
    My LO will sometimes wake around 4 and I just don't give up until I've gotten her back to sleep. Sometimes it can take up to 45 minutes to an hour but I know she's still tired because she's rubbing her eyes and yawning etc. It can be that difficult to get her back to sleep even as early as midnight though. Does your LO seem sleepy at the 4:30 wake up?
  • Options
    My LOs pediatrician said that many babies wake up very early because their sleep is so light at that time of the morning. My little guy also wakes up at 4 am every day, and the only thing that has worked is bringing him back to bed with me. We sleep for another 2 to 3 hours that way. It's something I told myself I would never do before he was born, but alas. ;)
  • Options
    I could have written your post verbatim! DH gets up for the day at 5am, so even if I'm lucky enough to have a sleeping baby at 5, it doesn't last much longer than that. All the noises in the house wake him up. You'd think after 15 years as a barista, I'd be fine with this; but in a perfect world, we wouldn't be up for the day until 8.
  • Options
    6am wakeup here.  Which I guess isn't so bad, but I can tell LO is still tired, she just refuses to go back to bed.  Also she's always up at 3 for a feed, doesn't matter when she went to bed or what other wakeups she had, so to get up for the day so shortly after going back to sleep is rough.  If I put her in bed with me, she'll sleep till 8, but I have a hard time staying awake through it and DH royally freaks if I sleep in bed with her.
  • Options
    oooonerooooner member
    My little boy tends to fall asleep between 7:30-9:30pm, and will wake up anywhere from 6:30-8:30am.  Thank goodness too because I leave for work at 7am and get home about 5pm. I don't get to see him awake in the mornings but I wouldn't be able to see him at all if he went to sleep before 5.
  • Options
    Omg  I'm so jealous of you all!!! My LO won't sleep until midnight usually and wakes up at 8! I've been trying to put her to sleep around 8 and work hard to keep her asleep for the night only to have her wake up at 10 or 11 ready for 3-4 hours of playtime. Shes not grumpy but I honestly believe she needs more sleep. She doesn't even nap that often during the day! Ugh. 8-0
  • Options
    Ds will occasionally do the 4am wake up calls but I will either nurse him for about 30-45mins still in the room where it's dark so he will go back to sleep or I've pulled him into the bed with me and co slept for a few hours. He sleeps in his own bed but if he wakes up too early and then I let him co sleep he won't wake up again until 8ish. We also start bedtime routine around 530-5:45 and he's always in bed asleep by 7pm. 
  • Options
    gipfish said:
    This is going to sound backwards, but maybe try putting him to bed earlier. My Jane was going to bed between 6:30 and 7 and getting up around 4:30. I also tried putting her to bed later only to have a grumpier night baby and a just as early riser. Then I tried putting her to bed earlier (we start bedtime routine at 5, sometimes as early as 4:30). Now she tends to get up between 5:45 and 6:15. Everybody thinks I'm crazy for putting her to bed so early, but then I tell them how long she sleeps and they are impressed.

I start bedtime routine (which lasts about 30 minutes) at the very first yawn or eye rub that occurs at 4:30 or later.
    I know this was posted a while ago, but I thought of your post today when I came across this article on Slate about why an earlier bedtime can be better for your baby.

https://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/the_kids/2016/05/put_your_kids_to_bed_early_to_make_them_smarter_happier_and_fitter.html
  • Options
    I agree with PP about the nap thing. DS takes a nap at 5 on the way home from daycare. He usually wakes up on his own about 5:39 We still start bed time at 7 and he falls asleep between 7:30 and 8.
    I'm almost positive you meant to type 5:30 but I just wanted to let you know that I pictured a clock changing to 5:39 and your baby's eyes opening wide. Hahaha.... I think I'm sleep deprived for thinking that's so funny
    Yup! Blame it on the sleep deprivation...