November 2015 Moms

First Food Dillema - Black Eyed Peas

My LO is turning 6mo tomorrow and I plan on beginning her on purees.  Her dad is insisting on black eyed peas as her first food since that's what he gave his 11yr old.  From what I've read this can cause a good bit of gas and isn't recommended as a first food.  What do you guys think?  Should I let it go in the name of (his) family tradition and just have Mylicon ready to go or put my foot down?

(We're not on the best of terms at all, but we're trying to co-parent productively.)
If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

Re: First Food Dillema - Black Eyed Peas

• Personally, I'd go for the peas. So many things are gonna make her gassy, doesn't seem like a day or 2 of it will matter long term. I'd just get them out of the way, plus then he's happy and you move on to the next food and feed her what you want from that point. Just my 2 cents, but I always pick the path of least resistance.
  • rachswirachswi member
    I'd give the peas. Your baby is likely going to get gas/slight constipation from any solid she tries since it'll be a surprise to her system so you'll want the drops (or prune juice) on hand anyway
  • Loading the player...
  • I would give her a few bites of the peas as a compromise.
  • MoRay05MoRay05 member
    i would just give her the peas. She probably won't swallow a lot of it anyway bc of tongue thrust. 
  • Our first go with solids he also spit most of it out so I'd go with the peas. 
  • bellie1223bellie1223 member
    edited May 2016
    Yeah, I'm with pp, might as well avoid the argument if you guys are trying to coparent. I gave my daughter banana for her first food and more of it ended up on her shirt than in her mouth!

Eta: words are hard!
  • Awesome! Win-win!
  • That's great!