Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Baby Laundry Routine?

I'n a FTM due April 28, and this feels like a really stupid question, but I'm just looking to get some ideas on a baby laundry routine. I know some of this is determined by access to a washer and dryer and how many clothes you have for baby (we have a washer/dryer and got tons of hand-me-downs), but what I'm really looking for is what you do with that adorable little outfit when you take it off - if it's stained, I can't just throw it in the hamper and wait until I have enough clothes to do a load. On the other hand, if pretty much everything gets stained all the time, are you just constantly pre-soaking things and washing small loads of one or two items?

Re: Baby Laundry Routine?

• I keep a bottle of spray and wash by baby's hamper and spray any stains before throwing it in. If it's really bad I rinse it in cold water in the sink first. Every couple days I just grab whatever laundry the rest of the family has and wash it all together! 

Anniversary

• If she poops or pees on something, I soak it in cold water right away. If she just dribbles spit up on herself, I wipe it and leave her in the outfit. If she full on exorcist-style spits up and is soaked, I change her right away. The spit up clothes go right in the hamper and the poop clothes usually dry out a bit in the sink so they're not soaked before they go in the hamper. I usually do laundry for her 1-2 times a week
  • Loading the player...
  • Oxyclean spray gets EVERYTHING clean! So far. :) you leave it on just 10 minutes before you wash so I spray as I wash. Usually do clothes every3-4 days. 
  • Thanks, everyone!
  • The only stains we pre-soak are poop stains and bad pee stains, luckily it's rare for us to have either on her clothes now that she's a bit older but in the first few weeks I felt like my sink constantly had baby clothes in it lol then we throw the dried clothes in the hamper with the rest of her stuff. I do laundry for her separately from the other loads and probably throw it in every other day or every 3rd day
  • I don't really ever pretreat but I spray with dreft spray before washing. Sometimes I'll spray and soak then wash. 
  • I have three kids so nothing is getting pretreated at the second it happens in my house. I throw it in the hamper and I do a load of only baby laundry and blankets about every 3 days. I have a spot in the laundry room where I toss things that have bad stains and need to be pretreated before they go in. I pretreat it when it goes in the wash. I haven't had very many pieces of clothing become stained beyond repair with this method. Maybe one or two. 
  • 2-Step said:
    I haven't had very many pieces of clothing become stained beyond repair with this method. Maybe one or two. 
    I agree with this. I've only have one item ruined by poop, a white onesie. It seems like baby poop's liquidy nature (gag) it doesn't seem to stain too badly
  • kde4kde4 member
    We just throw everything into the hamper (regardless of how stained it is) and wash it all together. I end up doing laundry every other day. I have twins though, so the hamper is pretty full after 2 days!

www.theydontfeedthemselves.com

My favorite activities and tips for surviving different phases with our twins!

• eivaskaeivaska member
    We don't pretreat right away either. I end up with a load about every three days between us and baby. I just hit any poop stains with shout before tossing them in. Formula and pee stains haven't needed any pretreatment g really

• I rinse the stain with water and a little dish soap. I wash it with the rest of her clothes every few days...stain always comes out. The times I haven't pre-soaked, the stain was harder to remove. I do this for poop stains (blowouts) only.