April 2016 Moms
Options

What Baby Gear Do You Hate?

saw this on another month board and thought it was an interesting thread. Share what baby gear you have found to be useless!

i hate the K'tan baby wrap. I wasted $50 on that thing. Its easy to get on and off and to put LO in it, but it has no back support and squishes baby in it, plus it gets way too hot! I was going to buy the ergo 360 4 position but it is currently backordered by the manufacturer. So I just bought an infantino carrier figuring I'd give it a shot since it was only $30 and I could easily return it. So far it works great!

also I hate baby clothes that dont snap or zip down the front. LO cries when I try to put on stupid onesies or bodysuits. Its so hard to get it over his head and face and then trying to get both arms in the sleeves. Ugh!

the Halo swaddle sack is a joke. The velcro is too noisy and there is too much fabric around baby's face. If he squirms at all, it bunches up around his face and I cant have that! I bought a woombie a few weeks ago and havent looked back!

Lastly I hate my carseat, the convertible Graco my65. Its so big and cumbersome and doesnt seem to recline to the appropriate level once its installed and it doesnt look very comfortable for LO. I just hate it! I want to buy a new one.

Re: What Baby Gear Do You Hate?

• Options
    I hate my rear-facing car seat and can't wait to be able to see my child. I'm constantly preoccupied that he may have slid into a weird angle or something, and if he cries I HATE that I can't see why! 

I also hate most of my baby blankets, the really adorable ones are too thick and useless. I usually use a set of soft muslin ones that are easy to swaddle him in, which I got as a gift. 

Conversely, everybody told me a changing table would be a total waste and I could change the baby anywhere. I bought a changing topper for the dresser and LOVE it. Having a dedicated space with diapers, wipes, lotion, and even first aid supplies in one area is amazing. I couldn't imagine grabbing these things and taking them to the couch/crib/bed/wherever every time Mason has a wet diaper. I felt a little frivolous buying it, but it's my favorite thing.
  • Options
    I also hate my car seat. It's lightweight and I love the stroller it snaps into, but both of our cars are too small for it to fit a passenger comfortably in front of it. Since H nearly always drives, that means I'm the one sitting way up next to the airbag straight up because there's no room to recline. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MrsZkoMrsZko member
    Agreed about the halo sleep sacks. I used them once with DS1 and the velcro drove me crazy.

I just like sleepers for LO right now. I love cute outfits but they are not practical. It's not really baby gear but I don't have any that we don't use or like right now! We don't have rnp or swing here!
  • Options
    wildtotwildtot member
    @Missingchampagne our pedi just told us that in Cali children 2 and younger will have to be rear facing starting next year :(
  • Options
    mbirdiembirdie member
    I love my k'tan! But I only use it for short periods of time. 
    I don't like the A&A swaddle sacks. I bought one because we had a few really hot nights and I love their muslin blankets. We usually use the summer swaddleme ones that have Velcro and they are super quick and easy and fit well. The A&A one has snaps so I can't make it tighter and end up having a big opening up by baby's face, plus they take longer to do up. I still use it since it's cooler and I get too nervous about swaddling her in a blanket.
    DD - 4.15.16
  • Options
    I feel that my crib has been pretty useless. If only I knew that LO would sleep everywhere but the crib. I wouldn't have bought a fancy one with wheels thinking that I can wheel it in different rooms whenever LO needs a nap. Ha! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My car seat is so incredibly heavy. We had a graco with DD and went with a britax for DS. I struggle carrying it now let alone when DS actually grows.
  • Options
    Things we don't currently use (and I knew we wouldn't, but we have them anyway) - crib, changing pad on top of dresser.

Things that aren't working for us - Swaddlers (SwaddleMe, Halo, whatever..). DS hated them too.

As a STM, I did not get nearly as much crap as I did with my first, and I'm thankful for that! There's nothing I necessarily hate though. 
  • Options
    I necessarily hate it, but I'm regretting that I didn't get the rock n play that rocks itself. It feel like kind of a lazy thing to do, but now I'm seriously considering going and getting the auto one. It would be super helpful while pumping or anything else that requires my attention. 
  • Options
    @Missingchampagne our pedi just told us that in Cali children 2 and younger will have to be rear facing starting next year :(
    It is the safest position for them
  • Options
    @WBORDERS
    We had the vibrating one for DD1, it was a lifesaver sleeping wise but pain in the butt in the middle of the night rocking half asleep.
    As soon as I found out they made a self rocking one I did not hesitate to go to the store that day and buy it. I am pretty sure I even left the house to go get it the day or day after we got home from the hospital. It is awesome. Go buy it, you won't regret it. We use our old one to take along places so baby has a place to sleep if we will be at family things for long periods. Way easier to haul around than a heavy pack n play. 
  • Options
    DD2 is 5 weeks young today and our mamaroo is still in the storage room unused. Thank goodness my MIL bought it second hand from a coworker otherwise that would be a HUGE waste of money. DD1 hated it so maybe that is why I am not insisting that it be brought up.
  • Options
    WBORDERS said:
    I necessarily hate it, but I'm regretting that I didn't get the rock n play that rocks itself. It feel like kind of a lazy thing to do, but now I'm seriously considering going and getting the auto one. It would be super helpful while pumping or anything else that requires my attention. 
    I love ours - she sleeps like it's going out of style in that thing and all I have to do is make sure she's breathing occasionally. 
  • Options
    Socks! I can't wait for summer so we don't have to worry so much about them. They stay on for all of 5 minutes. Because of this I'm always reluctant to put her in all her cute outfits and she wears footie onesies all the time. What a waste. 
  • Options
    myla14myla14 member
    Any clothing item that isn't a zip up sleeper with feet. 

Cosigned on the Britax car seat. Hated it with my first, hate it now. I prop it on my thighs when I walk with it bc it's so heavy and they're covered in bruises. 
  • Options
    NOLA520 said:
    OMG, the diaper genie. We are probably going to go Office Space on it soon and just use a regular trash can. 

Love Halo sleep sacks, but we're pretty over the little Swaddle Pod things. They're great if we're putting him in his little lounger, which isn't completely flat or just holding him, but on any flat surface (like, you know, his bassinet or crib), they make him so round that he rolls onto his side immediately (and could likely continue to his belly). Good thing we only have them in NB size, which he's going to be out of super soon. 
    I didn't like the pod. I tried it on my baby and it seemed too small or something even though all other newborn clothes fit him. It just looked like the neck was too high and would choke him.
  • Options
    The infant hats. My baby's head was too big for them as soon as he was born. Halo sleep sacks are too hot for him. Also do not like the bouncers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    Pretty much any clothes with buttons.
  • Options
    AEG84AEG84 member
    WBORDERS said:
    I love ours - she sleeps like it's going out of style in that thing and all I have to do is make sure she's breathing occasionally. 
    We have both the vibrating one and the auto rock one (vibrating one upstairs for nighttime and auto rock downstairs for daytime). I love both of them. We plan to take the vibrating one with us on an upcoming trip in place of taking a pack n play or travel bassinet. 
  • Options
    myla14 said:
    Any clothing item that isn't a zip up sleeper with feet. 

Cosigned on the Britax car seat. Hated it with my first, hate it now. I prop it on my thighs when I walk with it bc it's so heavy and they're covered in bruises. 
    We actually love our Britax, but it stays exclusively in the car. It certainly is heavy! I can't imagine carrying DS around in it. 

I also hate the Halo sacks! They seemed like such a great idea, but the Velcro is loud and I've scraped an already sad, sore nipple on it one too many times. :( We have just been using A&A blankets for swaddling and they work great in this warmer weather. 

I like the K'tan, but DS isn't quite so sure yet. 
  • Options
    Luckily I can't think of anything! 
  • Options
    I can't think of anything this go around, either.  Previously, though, I've hated the diaper genie, bouncers, changing tables, and all Graco seats.  
  • Options
    Diaper genie is the bane of my existence! But if I don't use it the dogs have a dirty diaper buffet :(

I hate Huggies wipes but love the diapers. Stupid wipes stick together so you pull out five at a time from the darn package. Pampers wipes are so much better! Also Desitin is stinky as all get out.
  • Options
    Diaper genie is the bane of my existence! But if I don't use it the dogs have a dirty diaper buffet :(

I hate Huggies wipes but love the diapers. Stupid wipes stick together so you pull out five at a time from the darn package. Pampers wipes are so much better! Also Desitin is stinky as all get out.
    We love our diaper genie but I agree about the Huggies wipes! They stick together and rip. So annoying! 

Our bottle warmer is completely useless. I just warm up the BM by running it under hot water. The bottle warmer either makes the milk scalding hot or it's still ice cold. 
  • Options
    Ahh I forgot - any diaper cream that isn't butt paste. All others are junk. 
  • Options
    I wish I had returned all baby clothes and bath stuff (how many towels and robes does one baby need?) and just purchased on an as-needed basis with all the gift certificates I got from returning them all. My baby has specific tastes and likes his arms and legs fully covered... So I never would have thought (in Miami, Florida) that I would be shopping for so many long sleeved items. I also know that may change a few months from now. I just wish my family and I had spent less on "adorable" clothing that I'm barely getting any use out of because I'm just bundling him up all the time! Next time, I'm getting to know the baby's tastes before he/she gets tons of clothes.
  • Options
    I'm not crazy about a lot of the stuff that we were either given, or have bought in an attempt to help soothe the baby. I went back to work Monday (he's with me), and it's been really difficult. My mom had bought me a wrap carrier, and it's just garbage (imo). It doesn't give me enough support, he's already almost 13lbs at 1 month, and he screamed the entire time he was in...no matter what position or wrap I used. I finally went out yesterday and bought an ergo baby, which seems to be a lot better for him. I know that they say that we need to use the insert, but he's just too big to use both and screams if I try to put him in it...Also, I wish I hadn't been given a single new born piece of clothing. He literally was in 3 month size when we brought him home from the hospital. He's already 24" in length...and I've had to cut the feet off of some of the snap downs because he's too tall. Also, why don't they make a baby invention that just fills itself with money...wouldn't that be great? :-)
  • Options
    Oh and all pacifiers besides the MAM...it's the only one that he won't reject.
  • Options
    mumidimumidi member
    Oh and all pacifiers besides the MAM...it's the only one that he won't reject.
    DS loves MAM pacifiers too, DD loved the NUK ones.
  • Options
    My boyfriends aunt bought our LO this amazing jacuzzi bath tub. No joke, it has a bottom that has tiny Suttle jets and an attachment that is Like a shower head. It's is amazing and my son only likes the bath with the Jets on. But.... it's a pain in the ass! You have to take it apart every time to make sure there is no water left in it and put it back together when it's time to bathe,  not only that but you have to fill it up in the tub then lift it on to the counter. Leaning over the actual tub kills my back. It's definitely Bittersweet. 
  • Options
    The Chicco bassinet that LO HATES sleeping in. She loves the Rock n play and will nap in her crib but she hates the bassinet. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Baby clothes are a pain in the butt! LO doesnt fit in his 0-3month sizes and 3months sizes are way too big. I bought 2 nb size outdits the other day at BRU and some 3 month size outfits. There was no 0-3 sizes, and he is almost too big for the nb ones and the 3 month swallow him. Whats the deal?? Is it that hard to make baby clothes that fit? Some of his onesies and sleep gowns have giant neck holes with excess fabric and others are so tight in the neck that LO gets pissed off when I try to dress him in it. I pretty much stick to snap down/zipper down footie outfits these days.
  • Options
    loveymay said:
    Baby clothes are a pain in the butt! LO doesnt fit in his 0-3month sizes and 3months sizes are way too big. I bought 2 nb size outdits the other day at BRU and some 3 month size outfits. There was no 0-3 sizes, and he is almost too big for the nb ones and the 3 month swallow him. Whats the deal?? Is it that hard to make baby clothes that fit? Some of his onesies and sleep gowns have giant neck holes with excess fabric and others are so tight in the neck that LO gets pissed off when I try to dress him in it. I pretty much stick to snap down/zipper down footie outfits these days.
    We're having the same problem! LO is swallowed by 3 month stuff but is starting to get too chunky for the NB sizes. He looks funny no matter what we put him in. *sigh*
  • Options
    Socks! I can't wait for summer so we don't have to worry so much about them. They stay on for all of 5 minutes. Because of this I'm always reluctant to put her in all her cute outfits and she wears footie onesies all the time. What a waste. 
    Try Robeez brand- they actually stay on :)
  • Options
    Disposable diapers. I can't wait for his belly button to heal so I can put him in cloth.
  • Options
    I hate the gowns! Everyone told us they'd be the best thing ever, but the baby hates them, and so do I - not at ALL easy to get on and off our chubby guy and you can't put him in the carseat in them! And we have like six of them :(
  • Options
    I hate the gowns! Everyone told us they'd be the best thing ever, but the baby hates them, and so do I - not at ALL easy to get on and off our chubby guy and you can't put him in the carseat in them! And we have like six of them :(
    I am alright with them for sleep, except I can't help but feel like my little boy looks like a sweet little girl heading to her Baptism (all of mine are white or pale yellow).