November 2015 Moms

Mass In Baby's Hand

Last Thursday when Oliver was in the bath I noticed a hard mass in his right hand. It almost feels like a growth on his knuckle under his pointer finger. It doesn't seem to hurt him, he doesn't cry when I touch it and it doesn't hinder him grabbing anything. 

I got him into the doctor the next day and the doctor was puzzled so we got sent downstairs to do some X-rays. (Oliver did so great, he didn't fuss or fight the tech when she taped his arm down.) When she did the X-ray of his hand, she thought she saw a fracture in his forearm, so we did three more X-rays. 

They called me back later that day to say nothing showed on the hand X-ray and his forearm was NOT broken, it was just a nutritional vein. 

So now it's a waiting game. It's not a bone spur, that's been ruled out. And from what I've read cancer would have showed on the X-ray. If it gets bigger we have to bring him in immediately. If it doesn't we'll proceed on the 24th with possible lab work, a biopsy isn't off the table either. 

Has anyone else had something even remotely similar happen to their little one? I know it's a long shot to ask that but I'm worried out of my mind and the waiting to see if it's growing isn't making this any easier. :(

Re: Mass In Baby's Hand

• rachswirachswi member
    No advice, but prayers headed your way, momma!!! :(
  • I don't have any advice either but wanted to let you know I'll be thinking of you and your LO!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry to hear this.  Hopefully it ends up just being something silly like a callus
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• @VexedMommy I'm hoping it is too. It's about the size and hardness of an uncooked tapioca bead :/ 

• Good luck to you guys, I hope they can give you some more information soon, not knowing is the worst part!
  • @VexedMommy I'm hoping it is too. It's about the size and hardness of an uncooked tapioca bead :/ 

This is probably ridiculous because I'm sure his doctor would have recognized it as such, but it couldn't be a wart could it?  They sometimes take a while for the head to appear and present as a hard spot before that.  Good luck and hoping the best for you and your little guy.
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Praying for the best for you and your baby, I hope you get answers soon! 
  • Hope it's nothing serious. Thoughts and prayers to you and your LO.
  • Wishing you the best! I hope this resolves on its own before your next appointment. 
  • Lurking... but my husband had and still has something that sounds like this. They call it a vascular malformation in his hand. Google image search doesnt match up at all to what it looks like, so don't bother with that. It's not dangerous at all, just annoying and hurts when it flares up. Could be or could not be what your LO has, but i just wanted to mention it because it seems rare and not a lot of doctors are familiar with it.
  • thank you! We have our check up on Monday so maybe they'll be able to figure it out then! (Fingers crossed!)
  • It's grown. And it's moveable now. They're referring us to a hand surgeon to find out what it is. 
  • rachswirachswi member
    :( prayers!!
  • Thinking of you and LO @BowWowBowie.
  • I'll be praying for you and LO @BowWowBowie
  • It's grown. And it's moveable now. They're referring us to a hand surgeon to find out what it is. 
    Hoping you can get answers quickly. Wishing you the best!!
  • Praying for you and your baby! 
  • Thinking of you guys!!
  • My LO has one too, on his middle finger of his left hand. The doctor says it's a ganglion cyst. DH gets them and they come and go with no pain.
  • I hope things are going well with your little guy.  Still thinking about you and holding space for y'all. 

• Glad to hear it! 

• Happy to hear this!
  • That's wonderful news!!