3rd Trimester
Options

Slow progress anyone?

Last Tuesday I was checked for the first time and had not dilated yet but had started to soften. Then a few days later on Saturday, I went into l&d for some bad cramping and more intense contractions, was checked again and had dilated to 3cm but it didn't progress so I was sent home. I was told I was in the early stage of labor. Then Monday I lost about half of my plug. I was certain and hopeful I would have my daughter this week! Since then the cramping and lower back pain has not gone away and between that and all day contractions I am beginning to get frustrated despite trying not to :( anyone else had this happen? I'm so nervous this is going to go on for so long. I'm 37 weeks and this is my second. I'm miserable with the cramps and I've been so nauseous the last week!

Re: Slow progress anyone?

• Options
    I was dilated to 5cm at 36w6d. Since then I have progressed to 6cm (40w today) and no active labor in sight. for me, dilation means nothing I guess and I wish I didn't know how dilated I am. It just gave me a false sense of hope that baby would come early. 
    DS born on 4/16/16

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I understand this completely. I was having labor pains at 40 and 1/2 weeks, but never dropped, lost my plug, dilated, or anything. I got to feel all the pain with no result for my hard work :( I ended up being induced at 42 weeks and had a perfectly healthy little dude. I'm hoping this time goes differently for me. Hang in there, momma. Best of luck to you!
    Me: 32, DH: 35
    Married to DH: 11-13-10
    DS #1: EDD: 9/25/12, Born 10-9-12
    DS #2: EDD: 6-19-16, Born 6-14-16
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Unfortunately, dilation means nothing (annoying, I know). Which is why I actually declined cervical checks for weeks. If you are only 37 weeks, you may have up to 4 or 5 weeks to go. 
  • Options
    Yup. I was 1.5cm at my 36 week appointment and every week after that I had dilated about another centimetre. I've had contractions on and off since 37 weeks, sometimes lasting up to six hours but never getting closer than 4-5 mins apart. I'm now 40 weeks 5 days, 5cm dilated, waiting for this little peanut to decide she's ready to meet us!
  • Options
    @sarahufl Does dilation really mean so  little that you can safely decline cervical checks?? 
  • Options
    @sarahufl Does dilation really mean so  little that you can safely decline cervical checks?? 
    Yep. I declined them for about a month and my OB didn't bat an eye. You can be dialated and effaced for weeks and not go into labor. Or you can be like me and be neither dialated OR effaced and go into labor that night. The one cervical check I had was so uncomfortable I said I would never do them again.
  • Options
    @victoria98 - full disclosure, I am not a doctor and you should def ask your doctor first. 
  • Options
    This is why I am declining cervical checks unless my MW pushes it. I will probably let them check at 40w but not any sooner. I am currently 36w4d.

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • Options
    smn14smn14 member
    The only cervical checks I had were when I was in active labour - you don't get them as part of routine checks in the UK 
  • Options
    Additionally, cervical checks can introduce bacteria. Since they really aren't a good indicator of when labor is imminent, I think it's smart to decline them at least some of the time. 
  • Options
    Okay, so I went into be induced this past Thursday .. I hadn't dilated at all I was thinned out but no dilation so they did the cervidil for several hours and when they took it I still hadn't dilated. By this point they were concerned with doing the induction due to having a high risk for a c section. So I got sent home until something changes. Well last night I lost my mucus plug, so my question is, do I have any hope of dilating now due to losing the mucus plug? 
  • Options
    keylsie05 said:
    Okay, so I went into be induced this past Thursday .. I hadn't dilated at all I was thinned out but no dilation so they did the cervidil for several hours and when they took it I still hadn't dilated. By this point they were concerned with doing the induction due to having a high risk for a c section. So I got sent home until something changes. Well last night I lost my mucus plug, so my question is, do I have any hope of dilating now due to losing the mucus plug? 
    Most likely if you are talking about naturally as it can be weeks until you dilate and eventually go into labor after you lose your mucas plug.