December 2016 Moms
Options

Telling your insurance/job

Hi Guys,
So I just saw the delivery costs discussion which got me thinking. Do you have to alert insurance separately/formally or do they just take the hint when you're putting in claims for prenatal visits? Also, when do you need to let your work HR know? TIA! 

Best Answers

Answers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not sure about insurance alerts, but guessing once they see prenatal appointments come in... they know something is up.

I plan on telling my manager the week of my first appointment (June 3). A week after my appointment, he's actually gone for his wedding/honeymoon for the 3 weeks following, so by the time he's back (mid-July)... I'll probably be showing so that will make him wonder. I remember him asking me about kids IMMEDIATELY after we got married (1.5 years ago), ha.

He's very lenient with scheduling appointments, leaving early for things, etc. so it won't be an issue for when my appointments are. Plus, I rarely miss work compared to some of my peers, so he knows he has nothing to worry about with me missing any time.
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    leksiLleksiL member
    At my company you have 30 days after the birth to add baby to your health insurance. I'm not aware of anything that requires you to tell them you are pregnant, but every insurance company is different. 

I told my boss once symptoms started affecting my job performance and I started to refuse to travel to FL due to Zika. He was great and gave me a hug. Every work situation is different too. 
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• Options
    cgss11cgss11 member
    I didn't tell my insurance, but I assume they know. Baby will be added to DH's insurance, I need to remind him to look into that. 

I told a few coworkers early on because I've been sick, but told my Principal this past week. I had planned to wait until the last week of school, but it just kinda came out in a lull in our conversation lol. 
  • Options
    We're using insurance through DH's job since his is better than mine. He's already told his HR/insurance person, she is so excited. I absolutely love her :smile:

I had to tell my boss just before my first appointment because I had MS from hell (turns out it was a stomach virus on top of everything). He's so super supportive about everything. Deadline for all my work is end of business day, unless he needs it at a specific time, and I can take as much time as I need for appointments. Since I work from home I can hide this as long as I want, but I did tell my counterpart because we did work together before moving to home offices and she knows how long we've been TTC. I also told my team lead that reports to us and works in the main office, just in case I need him to step in if I can't. I'll have to talk to my HR about maternity leave.
    Married 4/12/13
    Anniversary
    TTC since 6/13
    Diagnosed w/ PCOS 4/9/15 - R/E recommended lifestyle change
    BFP 4/10/16 - DS born 12/16/2016
    SURPRISE! BFP 3/8/18
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm so jealous that you all have bosses that are excited for you.  I kind of dread telling mine.  Everyone will be nice about it but someone is going to have to cover for me while I'm gone.  At least 3 different women have been out in the past 2 years for maternity leave so I'm not the only one at least.
  • Options
    I'm not telling my boss until end of June maybe end of July. I can't stand her and won't physically see her until then so that all works out. However, I am friends with co-workers on FB and worry if I announce before then that they will spill the beans so.... Who knows. 
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • Options
    @Gizmo1231 just make the post so only your friends, minus the coworker, can see. Its pretty simple to do.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    @Kate08Young I didn't even think of that. Genius!
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • Options
    I think telling your work is totally dependent on your actual situation. I ended up being fired for being pregnant a few weeks after I told my boss, so I wish I would have waited longer so I had more time in my job to save money before the baby came! (For my daughter)
  • Options
    dckatehdckateh member
    Thank you all for your help! My boss actually knows already. We were discussing my mid-year review and he mentioned that we don't get in replacements for people who go on extended leave... which means he would be the only one to take over my 3-5 story times each week. I asked about it "hypothetically" and then wasn't drinking at a big post-work event so he figured it out. He's totally supportive, but our HR is notoriously terrible.
  • Options
    dmontgodmontgo member
    I work from home so my situation is a little different since I rarely talk to my boss, but I'll probably casually mention it...eventually. In theory since baby will be in December, I could take a month of vacation around that time and no one would think twice about it. I've been considering just doing that, but we'll see. 
  • Options
    COgirl29 said:
    I think telling your work is totally dependent on your actual situation. I ended up being fired for being pregnant a few weeks after I told my boss, so I wish I would have waited longer so I had more time in my job to save money before the baby came! (For my daughter)
    Unless your job is only doing things dangerous to you or baby. Or you are unable to preform the requirements with reasonable accommodations, that is ILLEGAL.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    DiFazetteDiFazette member
    edited May 2016
    COgirl29 said:
    @COgirl29

Did you have a job that the requirements were not able to be met while pregnant?  

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Options
    leksiLleksiL member
    edited May 2016
    Yep illegal!! Here's the wiki version: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pregnancy_Discrimination_Act

eta: unless a company of 15 or less. Sad.
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• Options
    My boss was one of the first people I told. I am a licensed vet tech, so I take x-rays, monitor anesthesia, use lots of crazy tough chemicals to clean, administer different types of injectable drugs/vaccines, dispense a variety of medications.... So I told my boss to kind of say, "Hey, I need to be super, super careful now!" I will tell the rest of my colleagues when I'm ready, but I definitely had to tell the guy in charge so he'd understand why I'd be stepping out of certain situations. :)
    Type 1 Diabetic (high risk)

• Options
    DiFazette said:
    COgirl29 said:
    @COgirl29

Did you have a job that the requirements were not able to be met while pregnant?  
    @Kate08Young and @DiFazette - well, yes, very illegal. No, I could very well do my job while pregnant. Only explanation was that I wasn't performing my job well (which isn't true, I was performing just as well as the prior years when I was promoted 3 times). 

I spent the next 1.5 years working with an attorney and was able to at least get unemployment that my former employer fought, and filed a claim with the EEOC, but decided not to move forward with the lawsuit because it would have taken another 2 years and I just didn't have it in me emotionally at that point.