September 2015 Moms
Options

Inguinal Hernia

So it turns out one of my boys has a hernia in his scrotum & has been referred to surgery. 

Idk how i feel. I mean of course im scared but i feel blank. I know its something that can be fixed but idk what to expect.

Any personal advice, thoughts, info any of you mommas might have/know?

Re: Inguinal Hernia

• Options
    My brother had an inguinal hernia when he was little that he had to have surgery to fix. It was a very minor surgery, the surgeon just made a tiny skin incision, pushed his intestines back into his abdomen and then sutured the inguinal canal closed. He was in and out in a day. Mostly I remember him puking Hawaiian punch all over my dad because he gorged himself. 
  • Options
    My son had one at two months on both sides. It's a very common premie problem. It's a very simple surgery and I'm not sure if you're little guy will even have to stay overnight. I think the rule was they had to over a month old if they were term or in our case since he was 6 weeks early he had to stay because he wasn't "60 weeks gestation... Does that make sense? our son's surgeon noticed the hernia on both sides but sometimes there is only a hernia on one side but he said he always repairs both sides anyway because it's a 1 in 3 chance if he comes in for one side the other side will need to be done very soon after. If you have any other questions or need clarification on what I said ( I'm exhausted and can't think lol) don't hesitate to ask!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for answering ladies! This has been on my mind all day. I did read that it was a minor surgery but as a mother you can't help but feel nervous/scared. 

@missliz53 how old was he when he got it done? I did  read that some children do vomit afterwards.

@LaurenNewph yes i did some research about it earlier & it did say its common in preemies. My boys were also born 6 weeks early a 33 &5. Also their ped said he sees it a lot in twins so it was a double whammy you know. & i also read if they're preemies they have to stay one night but I'm not sure yet I'll see when they call me. Now i have to keep on eye on my other son as well.

How long did it take your LO to heal? Did he seem like he was in much pain or was he too small (age wise)for you to notice his pain?

• Options
    The day of the surgery was rough for me to be honest. He didn't seem to be in pain or anything but was groggy from the anesthesia. I also spent a month in the hospital before he was born and then he was in the NICU for 25 days, so by the time he had his surgery I was pretty worn down emotionally by hospitals. I couldn't stand him being hooked up to the monitors, and had hourly melt downs. It was so bad my husband sent me home to sleep and he stayed with him in the hospital! Looking back on it now it seems so silly! He really was fine! By the time I got back the next morning he was completely back to himself and almost like nothing happened! 

Where do you live? Do you have a good children's hospital near by? We're in Philly and went to CHOP and our surgeon and nurses were great!
  • Options
    @LaurenNewphOmg were we like living almost the same pregnancy/Delivery? I was also in the hospital on bed resy almost a month before they were born because my water broke @ 30 weeks. & my boys were in the NICU for 21 days! That's crazy!

I know exactly what you mean! It's not silly! That's your baby & minor surgery or not a mother never wants her baby to have to go through that. & you didn't have a break in between of course it was a lot for you. I can honestly say i know how you feel because we pretty much went through the same thing. In my case DD was@ home with DH or my mom but without me for that month so that sucked too.

& that's what I'm worried about its him being groggy, & in pain. :disappointed: 
    We live in Denver & there's a children's hospital here but they're doing it in the hospital they were born in which was Denver Health.
    They're amazing there also & ive done everything with them so i feel comfortable with them doing it.
  • Options
    The hernia was pretty easy to get through comparably! How many weeks are your boys now?

Yeah the whole experience has me very gun shy about another baby... Because I don't know how I'd deal with being in the hospital with my son now... And of course the irrational mom guilt of having another premie!
  • Options
    vibarra27vibarra27 member
    edited May 2016
    35 weeks. They turned exactly 8 months on the 3rd. My first due date was Sept 30th then it got moved to October 17th. My water broke August 9th & i had them September 3rd.
    & how about your son?

I understand. My pregnancy with DD was perfect & with the boys it was rocky from the beginning. I got a tubal 11hours after they were born & my aunty told me i shouldn't have just in case. I was like after what I've been through these past months:
    ° morning sickness for 14 weeks
    °placenta previa that started @ 13 weeks & i bled for 4 weeks
    °my hip started giving out @ 14 weeks & had to do physical therapy
    °went through a scare that one of them didnt have any amniotic fluid & had to get a 2nd opinion(false alarm)
    °water broke @ 30 weeks & stupid nurses "warned" me it was a possibility they would die if they couldnt stop my labor.
    ° i was in the hospital for almost 4 weeks i missed DDs 1st day of kinder & she had to be with out me :disappointed: 
    °the boys in the NICU 21 days & having to leave the hospital on oxygen.

I wouldnt be able to go through that again. Plus im 23 & have 3 kids. But for you its harder cus hes your first. I think just let time run its course & you'll know if & when you want another. I swore up & down for 5 years that i only wanted DD & look @ me now :wink:  but i totally understand where you're coming from.

• Options
    So the way I think it works is their gestational age when they're born (if they're early) + the weeks they've been on the outside has to be 60 in order for them not to have to stay over night. At least that's how it was for us.

My little guy just turned 9 months today. I had high bp the whole time which turned into preeclampsia around 29/30 weeks. They almost let me go home but my bp went nuts and I stayed in the hospital until 34 weeks. He was IUGR and was barely 3 lbs when he was born! It's been quite a wild ride for my first! I'll be 34 in August so we'll see if more babies will be made lol
  • Options
    Okay that makes me feel a little better, thanks! Oh another question, any scar or anything?

That's crazy! When you're pregnant all you think about is having your baby, not all the crazy things that can happen! If you do decide to have another i will be sending my prayers for you. Each pregnancy/baby is different stay positive :smile: 
  • Options
    He ha zero scar. His doctor joked that it stinks there is no scar because even though it's a minor surgery it's still surgery and he should get a scar for it!
  • Options
    Thats good! Haha thats funny. Scars are no fun!