May 2016 Moms

6cm/90%eff -- sent home?

I went in to labor & delivery 2 nights ago...90% eff & a "good 5, almost 6" freaking cm dialated... and was sent home after no changes and inconsistent contractions after 3 hours... i've been laboring at home since, with horrid contractions about every 20mins, sometimes 3-4 back to back every 5-10, no real pattern but they are horribly painful. I've been walking, walking, walking, bouncing on a damn ball, drinking tea, primrose, darn near everything... and I can't get my labor in to full swing. This is my second kid, and they tell me it's going to happen really fast once it actually starts happening.

Everything i read says once you're past 5 cm you really should be in the hospital... any truth to that?

I just wonder how much longer they will let this continue like this... it seems odd, but doc doesn't seem alarmed at all. (39 weeks)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 6cm/90%eff -- sent home?

• I'm surprised they didn't break ur water to progress u farther if ur 39 weeks. That's weird!
  • I'm confused by this...is an epidural in your birth plan? If so, wouldn't this be an appropriate time to get one?
  • Loading the player...
  • My contractions were not consistant, so I was sent home, I'm not in the hospital
  • That's why I'm confused that they wouldn't admit you...if you wanted an epidural I would think they'd keep you so they could help you manage pain. I'm a first timer, so I wasn't sure if contractions had to be regular in order to get an epidural or not (since it sounds like you are in quite a bit of pain).

• slfezzslfezz member
    I honestly would call the doc or L&D to get back in. Even irregular contractions can cause you to dialate more if they go on long enough and are strong enough which it sounds like. I always thought that once you get to 4 cm you wouldn't get sent home because it can go really quickly from that point. 

Hang in there and hopefully you will have a beautiful baby here soon. 
  • trust me... I too am confused. They said if I wanted an epi, once things started progressing, I needed to get to the hospital fast... I just think they would have kept me... oh well!
  • So sorry to hear that you are going through this! I agree with @slfezz that I'd go back in and just tell them I was in too much pain to stay at home any longer. Fx that next time you go in you don't leave without a baby :)
  • You might want to call your doctor back and ask how long they will allow you to continue in this pattern before getting involved, or if there are any signs of something out of the ordinary you should be watching for.

I'm at 39 1/2 weeks, 4 cm, fully effaced, and carrying VERY low, but my OB says that typically they won't interfere except for medical necessity prior to 40 weeks.
  • Hey mama! This is exactly what my labor was like last time, and I think it's SUPER SMART that your doc sent you home instead of breaking your water. When labor starts and stops like that, it means your body is still working baby into the best position, and when your baby isn't in the "just right" position, leaving your bag of waters in tact gives baby enough room to wiggle into place. My baby completely dilated and effaced me and STILL didn't come for more than 7 hours. 

Here's what I would do in your shoes to get baby in the right spot and get things going: Miles Circuit. Walcher's. Side-Lying Release. Abdominal Lift and Tuck. And if things are too intense, take a warm bath. Have someone massage your back and squeeze your hips.