January 2016 Moms

Baby food.

Re: Baby food.

• Loading the player...
  • MyelhsaMyelhsa member
    edited April 2016
    cyanope said:
    Ha. It doesn't surprise me that you all return when there's an opportunity to rip people apart. I swear, you're sharks and can smell blood in the water from miles away. Welcome back. I'll just sit here and watch the shit show unfold...
    Believe me, there has been plenty of opportunity for us to come here and rip people apart. We haven't, that's not what we're about. However, when people start talking about doing something that is legitimately dangerous for their baby, it is important that somebody speaks up.

Talk to your pediatrician,  get a second opinion, educate yourself, but just know that it is far too early for us to start feeding our babies solid foods. 
  • cali1710 said:
    changing the topic...

STM or moms who have already began, what foods (other then rice cereal) did you start with? 
    cali1710 said:
    I don't plan to start solids until 6 months. I never said anything about starting now.  I'm just curious what people start with. I like to do research into what others do. 3.5 months have flown by and I know the next 2.5 will as well.  My understanding was that this site was about asking questions when you're curious not being attacked for it. 
    I wouldn't blame anyone for their shock at the original question. Why ask someone who's potentially putting their child at risk advice?Glad you do research and are trying to do what's best for your baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When you have people on here trying to justify feeding their 3 month solids this is not the place to do "research". 

• @Myelhsa, my comment wasn't directed at you. It was directed at a few women that were on this board at the beginning of our pregnancy journey who loved (and obviously still love) flaying people apart with their sarcasm. I'm assuming they know who they are. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that. I personally find it entertaining. And I am not saying that there is not legitimate information/concerns being shared. But to suggest that the information is not being shared with a healthy dose of sarcasm is simply false. And if your comment about educating yourself was directed at me, believe me, I have.
  • cali1710 said:
    changing the topic...

STM or moms who have already began, what foods (other then rice cereal) did you start with? 
    cali1710 said:
    I don't plan to start solids until 6 months. I never said anything about starting now.  I'm just curious what people start with. I like to do research into what others do. 3.5 months have flown by and I know the next 2.5 will as well.  My understanding was that this site was about asking questions when you're curious not being attacked for it. 
    I wouldn't blame anyone for their shock at the original question. Why ask someone who's potentially putting their child at risk advice?Glad you do research and are trying to do what's best for your baby.
    Some people creep from other months. Some have babies born a bit earlier. I'm not saying take advise from someone feeding a 3 month old but seeing before people commenting from november boards that question would be one for them to answer. 
  • @TinyDancer51510, By "blood in the water" I mean the sarcastic comments and how one leads to another. Then, it is all compounded by Gifs, and more comments. Like I said before, I find it entertaining. And as I also said before, welcome back. 
  • kimber308kimber308 member
    edited April 2016
    012016 said:
    @kimber308In my experience, people automatically assume a baby is hungry whenever he/she cries. Every time we take LO out and he fusses we are immediately asked if he's hungry even if he just ate. It gets old having to consistently tell everyone LO isn't hungry all the time. I know they mean well but babies fuss for a multitude of reasons, not just hunger. Maybe ask your LOs daycare to offer a pacifier first before giving more milk.  15oz in 6.5hrs sounds like A LOT to me. 

How many oz does your LO take during the weekend? A good rule of thumb is 2.2oz per pound of body weight throughout a 24hr period. 
    I so agree. I feel like that is exactly what is happening. 15oz is what we've come to terms with. It's 3 5oz bottles. We will offer them no more. I have written little notes about her habits and let them know they need to be putting her down for naps more often. She gets really fussy when she isn't well rested, but they just assume give her a bottle to keep her quiet. She also won't take a pacifier... we're working on self soothing methods for her. I also have requested that they burp her better - it usually takes her longer, and I don't think they are putting in the effort. :(

I only breastfeed with LO so I don't know how much she's getting. My mom watched her though for a week and was only feeding her 10oz (two bottles) during the same time frame. She was also making a lot more of an effort to get her down for multiple naps. 

I'm a teacher, so I just keep thinking "6 more weeks!!!!!!!!!" until I'm home with little one for the summer. I figure by the time she goes back to the daycare in September she'll be an entirely different baby.
  • Time out. Since I'm the one that made the "shark" comment, @nickib7, I feel the need to interject here. I never said I "disliked" any of their input or opinions. I don't believe I am angry. And I definitely don't expect "rainbows and butterflies." I very much appreciate straight talk. If you read any of my comments, you would notice that I said I was entertained by their input. I also never disagreed with any of it. In fact, I have also felt that it was insightful. But that doesn't mean that a lot of it wasn't sarcastic. Again, nothing wrong with that. I like sarcasm. 
  • kimber308 said:
    I have a legitimate question.

My daycare just told my husband this morning that my daughter is sucking down her 5oz breastmilk bottles and needs more. They said she either needs more oz at once or preferably cereal in her milk. We told them absolutely no way. 

How do we keep her satisfied at daycare? 

She gets 3 5oz bottles in a 6.5 hour time frame. At home she gets the breast and has no issues whatsoever, but I'm having a hard time believing she's sucking more then 5 oz from me at one sitting. That seems like a lot...

Confused...
    Ask them to try to do paced bottle feeding. I'm not sure I would switch to a level 2 nipple, I've heard some babies may get frustrated at the breast if they get used to the faster flow of size 2, but I'm sure you could try for a week and see if it makes a difference. Good luck!
  • Thanks @Knottie9983816 :) Things seems to go much better when she sleeps. I wrote them a list of things I wanted them to work on with her, and she only had 2 bottles last week 3 of the 5 days because she slept so well. So I think they are starting to understand that if she sleeps well she will be less fussy.
  • ChrissyD1203ChrissyD1203 member
    edited May 2016
    We had our 4 month well visit today and the pedetrician said now is the time to see if baby is ready to try some food.  He said that new research suggests there may be some benefits to starting now rather than 6 months .... I have been looking all over to try and find some support for this but I don't see it, AAP and CDC all seem to lean towards the 6 month mark.  Has anyone come across anything in the U.S. from a reputable source about seeing if baby is ready at 4 months?

He said the benefits weren't so much of a nutritional benefit but instead new development skills for baby. 
  • MamaHollandMamaHolland member
    edited May 2016
    @carlyhammond check out these youtube videos for homemade baby food. I plan on starting at 6 months but I saved these videos a while back because I really liked how simple this mom makes it. It's a lot easier than I ever realized. We don't need special purpose baby blenders just the normal kind. And there's a pouch system so you can put the home made food in pouches just like store bought baby food. The pouch system "squeeze station" is only $16 on Amazon.

The first video shows making peas, green bean, carrots & sweet potatoes:

https://youtu.be/40LsnzpcNKg

https://youtu.be/08Lp27o9saw (Shows the pouch system)

• So everyone (hopefully) knows to not give baby honey until they are 1 year old due to the potential for botulism. But does anyone know if this also includes honey in baked goods? It's on my list of Qs for the pedi but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask here too. 
  • @MamaHolland thanks for sharing those videos! 

@012016 thats an interesting question! I would think if its baked then it should be ok but I'm really unsure. Please let us know what the pedi says!! 
  • At @012016 I've been avoiding hand lotions for myself and Chapsticks with honey so I'd be interested in knowing the answer to your question too!
  • thats a bit of overkill don't you think? They mean raw honey when they say no honey 
  • I guess I should stop feeding my 3 month old honey nut Cheerios :D  
  • I guess I should stop feeding my 3 month old honey nut Cheerios :D  
    Maybe try microwaving them first. Microwaves kill a lot of things. Make sure the Cheerios cool down before you give them to baby though.
  • That's a good idea! Maybe I should microwave his lotion and diaper cream too just to be safe. They will be sterilized then and nice and warm for his little butt 
  • maureenmcemaureenmce member
    edited May 2016
    Our pediatrician advocates for 6 months, so that's when we'll be starting, but I admit I'm slightly overwhelmed as a FTM between the options of baby led weaning, making our own purees, or buying jars of baby food, so I'm looking ahead.  I lean toward baby led because, well, it just seems easier and more fun, especially with the whole 'food before one is just for fun' thing, but my mom has got me worried about choking. (Even though I know it's supposed to be fine and actually less of a risk of choking at that stage.) Anyway, she is pushing for jars of baby food or purees that I make, both for the no choking thing and ease (if we buy jars.)  Personally, I'm torn.

Any STMs with experience care to offer what they chose to do and why?  And for those who have done baby led weaning, if you care to outline your process (did you start with just veggies?  or fruit?  were there any tips of foods to avoid, other than honey and things with seasoning?  Or any other general advice you'd give)  Thanks so much!
  • Our pediatrician advocates for 6 months, so that's when we'll be starting, but I admit, looking ahead, I'm slightly overwhelmed as a FTM between the options of baby led weaning, making our own purees, or buying jars of baby food, so I'm looking ahead.  I lean toward baby led because, well, it just seems easier and more fun, especially with the whole 'food before one is just for fun' thing, but my mom has got me worried about choking. (Even though I know it's supposed to be fine and actually less of a risk of choking at that stage.) Anyway, she is pushing for jars of baby food or purees that I make, both for the no choking thing and ease (if we buy jars.)  Personally, I'm torn.

Any STMs with experience care to offer what they chose to do and why?  And for those who have done baby led weaning, if you care to outline your process (did you start with just veggies?  or fruit?  were there any tips of foods to avoid, other than honey and things with seasoning?  Or any other general advice you'd give)  Thanks so much!
    From everything I've read on BLW, I think you need to stick to your own instincts here. BLW poses less risk of choking if you follow the guidelines of food choices and sizes. Plus you will obviously be monitoring baby while they eat so there should be no concerns. Our parents come from a different school of thinking, do your research and stick to your instincts as a mom, you know your baby and comfort level best.
    STM - EDD June 24 '18
    DD - January 2016
  • Ljohn43Ljohn43 member
    I've been reading a lot ab BLW and plan to start around 6 mo. I will also do some puréed foods and maybe try "loaded spoons" (I put the purée on the spoon and Graham picks it up and puts it in his mouth). I am a big believer in the benefits of bone broth and want to incorporate that into his purees. For daycare, I will most likely be sending him with purees I have created and put into the disposable pouches using the squeeze station someone mentioned above. I don't really trust that they have the time to properly supervise true BLW at daycare so we will probably do that at home only until he's older and more confident with whole foods. 
  • I am a pediatric nurse, so yes I am in the medical field considering I am specialized in caring for high risk children, like those who have SMA type 1.
    Every person is different and as parents, it's up to us to make our own choices as to what is right for our kiddos. I am all about following the AAP because my mom was apart of the AAP before she retired. No one is nailing anyone else to the cross. Do what you feel is the right thing for your baby. But also remember, at the end of the day, you are medically responsible just as much as their doctor is.
  • 012016 said:
    So everyone (hopefully) knows to not give baby honey until they are 1 year old due to the potential for botulism. But does anyone know if this also includes honey in baked goods? It's on my list of Qs for the pedi but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask here too. 
    I was told to skip anything containing honey unless pasteurized because the spores are heat resistant. It may be a small risk, but not one I'm willing to take.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • MyelhsaMyelhsa member
    I am a pediatric nurse, so yes I am in the medical field considering I am specialized in caring for high risk children, like those who have SMA type 1.
    Every person is different and as parents, it's up to us to make our own choices as to what is right for our kiddos. I am all about following the AAP because my mom was apart of the AAP before she retired. No one is nailing anyone else to the cross. Do what you feel is the right thing for your baby. But also remember, at the end of the day, you are medically responsible just as much as their doctor is.
    Oh, you're a pediatric nurse? I didn't realize....
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    I literally had no idea about the honey... I don't eat honey anyway Luckily lol  
  • Wow I haven't read most of this but if there's anything I've learned as a STM it's that every baby really is very different. My niece started solids at 4 months and seemed very ready whereas my first DS didnt start solids until 8 months old. We skipped cereals and let him eat what we were eating. Somehow he became the pickiest eater ever. It's slowly getting better at 2.5 years old but you really just never know!
  • 012016 said:
    @Snoopylovesbelle I get that you're trying really hard to be snarky and occassionaly its appropriate and funny (like in the first page or so of this thread) but no one in the recent posts in the thread have said anything that could be construed at detrimental to a child's health. In fact most are showing caution and heeding common medical advice. I know we weren't cool enough for you to communicate with during the second and third trimesters but if you would lurk a bit instead of trying to stir the pot you might realize that joking about a deadly infant disease doesn't go over well with most people. 
    I'm very confused by this. Seriously? A deadly infant disease from
    handcream or Chapstick? If you're feeding your baby lotion or lip balm, there is a bigger problem than the honey. 
  • 012016 said:
    @Snoopylovesbelle I get that you're trying really hard to be snarky and occassionaly its appropriate and funny (like in the first page or so of this thread) but no one in the recent posts in the thread have said anything that could be construed at detrimental to a child's health. In fact most are showing caution and heeding common medical advice. I know we weren't cool enough for you to communicate with during the second and third trimesters but if you would lurk a bit instead of trying to stir the pot you might realize that joking about a deadly infant disease doesn't go over well with most people. 
    I'm very confused by this. Seriously? A deadly infant disease from
    handcream or Chapstick? If you're feeding your baby lotion or lip balm, there is a bigger problem than the honey. 
    True story that's the point I was trying to make. 

I have been around since the beginning and have had a reputation for good advice and some snark. A lot of us stepped back half way through because of the stupidity and constant drama from drive bys and trolls. It was not because anyone was not cool.