September 2015 Moms

Allergic reactions

Has anyone else had experience with allergic reactions and their LO?

My little guy has had extremely sensitive skin since birth. Incessant cradle cap, constant eczema, hives, etc.  So yesterday when I fed him some of my organic curry chicken salad (w/cashews) I wasn't super concerned with him getting a few hives on his lips/cheeks.  He's had no food reactions thus far, but I stopped feeding him to be safe.  The hives began to die down but then he began wheezing.  I went to the pediatrician who gave him benadryl & suggested I go see an allergist.  I'm obviously going to be careful with introducing new foods until I see the allergist, but I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with allergies and to what? Also, can you share pictures of what happened to your LO?

Re: Allergic reactions

• My LO had a reaction earlier this month and we think it was from zucchini. I fed her a jar of the Beechnut spinach/zucchini/peas combo and her face turned bright red and it was warm to the touch. It was only where the food had touched her face but I called the doctor and he said that since she has tried spinach and peas before with no problems it was probably the zucchini and said not to give it to her again until she's closer the a year old. Here's a picture of what it looked like:
    Anniversary
    TTC #1 Since April 2014
    Me: 27 | DH: 31
    08/2006 - Laparoscopy/Stage 1 Endo
    10/2014 - Bloodwork normal, HSG all clear
    10/2014 - DH's SA 15mil/mL, 35% motility, 6% morphology
    BFP #1: 12/29/14 | EDD: 9/9/15

• My little guy has A LOT of allergies. He also had cradle cap and eczema. So far he is allergic to broccoli, avocados, bananas, rice barley, and wheat. It's really hard because I can't give him any kind of cereal. I make all of his food because I'm so scared of a bad reaction. I'm also scared to try new foods. The reaction to barley was the worst yet. His lips swelled and he literally had welts on his face. The welts faded into hives and travelled down his body- from his face down to his toes. We gave him Benadryl and watched him for any breathing problems. He has an appointment with a pediatric allergist, but not until June! I'm attaching a picture of him an hour after the barley reaction. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been battling cradle cap, full body eczema and allergic reactions too. I saw an allergist a few weeks ago and with all their suggestions, my sons skin is now silk, spotless and beautiful. I have to give him Zyrtec 2x daily, bath daily, 2 bleach baths a week, Benadryl when needed, and I apply aquafor from the neck down after every bath
  • We had a reaction to Mangos. It was odd because I had given him a different mix with Mangos and he seemed fine then gave him a mix with just apples and mango that had a higher concentration of mangos and he broke out in hives. I keep the Benadryl close by when I feed him new things now. 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • Just eggs so far.  A facial rash that lasted a few hours, no other symptoms.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @hollyk224 that's crazy!!! I've felt good because I've read that zucchini has almost no allergens in it! I'll have to keep an eye on LO from here on out, she loves zucchini!
  • How long did it take for the reaction to happen after you fed it to them?? 
  • I was still feeding him and he wouldn't take anymore and started screaming. Then the blotches started. 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • bbdogs3bbdogs3 member
    Norwex..norwex..Norwex bath rags. Love them. Son is allergic to everything..keeps his skin flawless,  great for in diaper bag to keep things clean with reach. Also fit rid of cradle crap so easy! Great, gentle exfoliated and all natural. .read up on them
  • @lynnaeschr Same as what @amp61470 said. He usually won't continue eating something he's allergic too because it affects him right away. He starts crying and scratching his face. It's usually within 15 minutes. 
  • carlialexiscarlialexis member
    edited May 2016
    My LO had a reaction to yogurt. She got a bumpy rash around her mouth and also screamed in pain for hours after. I'm pretty sure her stomach was cramping and it resulted in multiple blow outs. It was horrible, I felt so bad. She had the same reaction to regular and gentlease formula so now we are on a soy based formula. We're hoping she outgrows this, her pedi said sometimes their tummy just can't handle milk based products yet.

ETA-  She hasn't had a reaction to any fruits, veggies or meats.
  • Just confirmed my LO having a reaction to eggs. I thought she was getting red marks around her mouth after eating them but I wasn't sure. I stopped giving her eggs for a few weeks and just tried again today and the red marks were back. They are like little splotches around her mouth with a raised bump in the middle, almost like a hive but very tiny. They didn't appear until between 5 and 10 minutes into eating.
  • jen83mnjen83mn member
    amp61470 said:
    We had a reaction to Mangos. It was odd because I had given him a different mix with Mangos and he seemed fine then gave him a mix with just apples and mango that had a higher concentration of mangos and he broke out in hives. I keep the Benadryl close by when I feed him new things now. 
    I'm wondering if my LO has a slight allergy to mangos as well! Fed him mangos (mixed with pear that he's already had) two days ago and again yesterday, then today noticed a few red splotches on his back (he's never had that before). I'm going to hold off on the mango for awhile just in case :)