Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Cry it out method

to the moms that dos the cio method did u guys take binkis away along with the music that plays during the night? Wat did you moms do? 

Re: Cry it out method

• No. I wouldn't take anything away that they use to soothe, especially music and/or white noise.

I didn't do straight up CIO, where you leave the baby for as long as necessary until they just stop crying and fall asleep. With both of my kids, I did their normal bedtime routine: bottle in rocking chair, rock until sleepy, put in bed, walk out, then gave them about 10 minutes or so and if they were still crying, go back into the room, rub their back, reassure them I'm there then leave again.

I wouldn't go into this blindly. Read up on a sleep training method and you'll more likely be successful that way.

• It is recommended to get rid of the paci as well, unless baby can find it and put it back in his mouth on his own. You're supposed to get rid of any sleep crutch. That being said, I wouldn't get rid of music or sound. We sleep trained and we put on music for 15 min at bed time and he does just fine with that. Also recommend that you read up on methods before you start anything. 
  • Loading the player...
  • delujm0delujm0 member
    I would strongly suggest reading Ferber's book before starting CIO.  It isn't just "let them cry until they pass out," it involves going in to reassure the baby at different intervals, etc.  DD never took a paci, but I believe it is suggested that you break the paci habit before starting CIO.  DD does suck her thumb, and occasionally will fall asleep that way, but her thumb is always attached to her so we're good with that!  We never actually needed to do CIO, but DD does sleep with white noise.  I like white noise too personally...I don't see that as a crutch so much.  it's more to drown out other sounds that could cause her to wake up.
  • We do a binki for naps and middle of the night soothing as needed as well as white noise. I'm hesitant to take away her sleep crutches because then she won't have anything to help her to self soothe. We as adults use sleep crutches to self soothe: a pillow and blankets, maybe a fan, ect. When she's a year and can have a blanket and a lovey to cuddle with, I'll take the pacifier away, but otherwise I'd be up for at least 30 mn every time she wakes up in the middle if the night rocking her back to sleep. We do let her fuss a little, but she's too high strung to CIO and wod cry herself sick. When she fusses, we still have to go back in and soothe, but it lessens the time we spend soothing her. I did a lot of reading about various sleep training techniques before I started though and I highly recommend you do that as well or you are less likely to succeed 
  • I let him cry for no more than 15 minutes. But since we put him in his crib he rarely cries it more of a fussing think. I also know his tired cry which is half hearted compared to hungry or wet diaper cry. I also didn't take away his paci he can find it if it pops out. 
    That said I should add I haven't read up on all these methods, I've taken advice from family and friends and I don't stress over it. I have one of the happiest easy babies I've ever met. He is so chill. He naps during the day and goes to sleep in his crib. He's just a good sleeper. 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • The most you should leave your baby is 3 minutes the first time. Then go back in. You can increase those increments. 

Possible FASD babies ( what were your drinking habits BEFORE you knew you were pregnant) should not have CIO at all - it disturbs attachment. 
  • The most you should leave your baby is 3 minutes the first time. Then go back in. You can increase those increments. 

Possible FASD babies ( what were your drinking habits BEFORE you knew you were pregnant) should not have CIO at all - it disturbs attachment. 
    Are you assuming her baby has FAS?!
  • TwizBeans said:
    The most you should leave your baby is 3 minutes the first time. Then go back in. You can increase those increments. 

@TwizBeans I think I love you lol
  • TwizBeans said:
    The most you should leave your baby is 3 minutes the first time. Then go back in. You can increase those increments. 

Haha lots of people on here think I'm "mean" ;)
  • TwizBeans said:
    TwizBeans said:

Haha lots of people on here think I'm "mean" ;)
    Well people just can't go around on every single thread suggesting babies have FAS or sensory issues. 
  • Well if she was talking to me because I let him cry for more then 3 minutes I am laughing. I haven't had a drink in years! LOL I just don't understand some people. 
  • Oh and Knottie where do you get your info on how long you should let a baby cry? Not a newborn but a 6-9 month old who has already bonded. 
  • I thought this was a good place to post this question... I've been sleep training my 7 month old for almost a week now. She used to bedshare at night and be held for naps. I've been putting her down in her crib drowsy, but awake. Whenever she does happen to be asleep when I put her down she wakes up immeadiately. She doesn't cry, although sometimes she may fuss for a few seconds. The problem is it can take her an hour or more to fall asleep. She just lays in her crib talking and playing with her lovey. I put her down for 4 naps a day, 2 of which she will sleep maybe 20-40 minutes, if I'm lucky. The other two "naps" she will just hang out in her crib for an hour or so until I get her out because I don't want her to spend so much time awake alone. Is this typical behavior in the early stages of sleep training? I feel so bad because she's constantly overtired. 
  • My little one used to sleep great. Not we have a hard time laying him in his crib without waking up. When he stays asleep, he only stays for an hr or two before he's up and crying. Once he wakes up he wants to sit up and stand right away. Any others LOS do this?