April 2016 Moms

Birth Story Thread

It isn't April just yet but we have quite a few April-at-heart mommies who have already given birth. Share your story here :) 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Birth Story Thread

• Loading the player...
  • @kristenlaurenn omg how scary! So glad everything ended up just fine! Enjoy those sweet baby snuggles!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • @Missingchampagne what an intense birth story! I hope you get to take LO home soon.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • jmoew1jmoew1 member
    edited April 2016
    Glad you and babe are ok! 
  • fbanke42 said:
    On 3/23 I ended up going to the hospital at 36 weeks for preterm labor. They managed to stall my labor with rest and IV fluids and sent me home the next day. From that point on, my LO moved less and less... At 38 weeks I had a growth ultrasound to help determine if I should have a c-section versus a vaginal delivery because of my history of shoulder dystocia. The tech even commented on how little he moved, which was great for her. At my next appointment, my doctor scheduled an induction at 39 weeks, since he felt a c-section would be overkill. He never told me what my LO's estimated size was.

On 4/11, I noticed a wet spot on my underwear right before bed that didn't look or smell like VF or pee. I wrote it off as paranoia. The spot returned when I woke up. I decided to go to work anyways. At around 9 AM, I decided to go check on the wet feeling I had. Halfway to the bathroom I felt a small gush. I spent a decent amount of time in my work bathroom, putting my butt back on the toilet when a small gush happened when I tried to stand back up. No contractions at that point, so I went on the hunt for a pad. After checking two differ net bathrooms, I gave up and went back to my desk to work on a gigantic stack of paperwork. Contractions started shortly after sitting down and were 5 minutes apart.

I finished one stack of paperwork and called L&D. They told me to come in. One of my coworkers helped me stand up, and my water broke in a gigantic gush that soaked through my jeans and left a puddle on the floor. He stood there, freaking out, not knowing what to do. I finally got him to snap out of it and call the supervisor over. The supervisor had me sit down while I called my MIL and he grabbed a golf cart to take me to the front of the building. DH wasn't answering his phone. Apparently he had left it at his desk while at a meeting. My MIL took me to the hospital, my water breaking in small gushes with each contraction.

My labor was fine until about 7 PM, when the contractions had slowed down but had increased in intensity. They gave me the option of pit to speed things back up. I reluctantly said yes, since I was sick of being at a 6 for so long. After the pit was started, I asked if I could take a bath, since the pit contractions were far worse than the normal labor contractions had been. They said yes, but only after double checking my dilation. Apparently someone had drained the tub while I was waiting to be checked, so I had to labor in a filling bathtub... By the time the water may have been high enough to help, I knew it was time to push.

I asked the doctor to turn off the pit while I pushed. She was against it, but did it anyways. 

Just as I feared, LO got stuck at the shoulders. This time around, I knew my baby was stuck. I tried pushing as hard as I could, but my body wasn't responding. The four medical professionals in the room were yelling at me and trying to give me instructions. Eventually they flipped me over, pulled my legs up, started pushing on my stomach, and telling me to push. LO had been stuck for a minute and had broken his left clavicle on the way out. They had to get him to start making noise. For a few seconds, he looked so lifeless on my chest. I thought he wasn't breathing, until they got him to start crying... Which got me crying. Af that point, DH was sitting, shaking, panicking... He was beyond relieved when he heard our baby start to cry. I had to actually call him over to say hello to his son. He was so shaky getting up.

I was actually the one to cut the cord, since DH can't handle those kind of things.

After letting us relax for two hours, the doctors came back to do measurements. It was then that they noticed that I was having excessive bleeding. I had to hold onto the nurse from dizziness. The doctor then swept out as much nasty as she could from my uterus, which was incredibly painful, even with the pain medication they gave me right before. They preformed an ultrasound to make sure that there weren't any more gigantic clots or a piece of placenta left inside. It wasn't conclusive, so I was heavily monitored for my bleeding. Thankfully, it eased up after the exam. I think I left the hospital bleeding less than I did with my first.

My baby boy was born 4/12/16 at 9:35 PM. 8 lbs 9 oz 20.25 inches long.

The doctor highly recommended that I only have c-sections from here on out, since all of my births involve shoulder dystocia.
    I can relate to your story and it makes me think about my next child and be more viligent about growth scans ( which I never even really got) My LO got stuck at the shoulders as well- and they were ready with an pediatric orthopedic doctor to break her shoulder if need be. With my pushing and the assistance of 3 doctors they were able to get her out without breaking anything. I am very glad you and your baby are okay and thank you for sharing your story.
  • fbanke42 said:
    On 3/23 I ended up going to the hospital at 36 weeks for preterm labor. They managed to stall my labor with rest and IV fluids and sent me home the next day. From that point on, my LO moved less and less... At 38 weeks I had a growth ultrasound to help determine if I should have a c-section versus a vaginal delivery because of my history of shoulder dystocia. The tech even commented on how little he moved, which was great for her. At my next appointment, my doctor scheduled an induction at 39 weeks, since he felt a c-section would be overkill. He never told me what my LO's estimated size was.

On 4/11, I noticed a wet spot on my underwear right before bed that didn't look or smell like VF or pee. I wrote it off as paranoia. The spot returned when I woke up. I decided to go to work anyways. At around 9 AM, I decided to go check on the wet feeling I had. Halfway to the bathroom I felt a small gush. I spent a decent amount of time in my work bathroom, putting my butt back on the toilet when a small gush happened when I tried to stand back up. No contractions at that point, so I went on the hunt for a pad. After checking two differ net bathrooms, I gave up and went back to my desk to work on a gigantic stack of paperwork. Contractions started shortly after sitting down and were 5 minutes apart.

I finished one stack of paperwork and called L&D. They told me to come in. One of my coworkers helped me stand up, and my water broke in a gigantic gush that soaked through my jeans and left a puddle on the floor. He stood there, freaking out, not knowing what to do. I finally got him to snap out of it and call the supervisor over. The supervisor had me sit down while I called my MIL and he grabbed a golf cart to take me to the front of the building. DH wasn't answering his phone. Apparently he had left it at his desk while at a meeting. My MIL took me to the hospital, my water breaking in small gushes with each contraction.

My labor was fine until about 7 PM, when the contractions had slowed down but had increased in intensity. They gave me the option of pit to speed things back up. I reluctantly said yes, since I was sick of being at a 6 for so long. After the pit was started, I asked if I could take a bath, since the pit contractions were far worse than the normal labor contractions had been. They said yes, but only after double checking my dilation. Apparently someone had drained the tub while I was waiting to be checked, so I had to labor in a filling bathtub... By the time the water may have been high enough to help, I knew it was time to push.

I asked the doctor to turn off the pit while I pushed. She was against it, but did it anyways. 

Just as I feared, LO got stuck at the shoulders. This time around, I knew my baby was stuck. I tried pushing as hard as I could, but my body wasn't responding. The four medical professionals in the room were yelling at me and trying to give me instructions. Eventually they flipped me over, pulled my legs up, started pushing on my stomach, and telling me to push. LO had been stuck for a minute and had broken his left clavicle on the way out. They had to get him to start making noise. For a few seconds, he looked so lifeless on my chest. I thought he wasn't breathing, until they got him to start crying... Which got me crying. Af that point, DH was sitting, shaking, panicking... He was beyond relieved when he heard our baby start to cry. I had to actually call him over to say hello to his son. He was so shaky getting up.

I was actually the one to cut the cord, since DH can't handle those kind of things.

After letting us relax for two hours, the doctors came back to do measurements. It was then that they noticed that I was having excessive bleeding. I had to hold onto the nurse from dizziness. The doctor then swept out as much nasty as she could from my uterus, which was incredibly painful, even with the pain medication they gave me right before. They preformed an ultrasound to make sure that there weren't any more gigantic clots or a piece of placenta left inside. It wasn't conclusive, so I was heavily monitored for my bleeding. Thankfully, it eased up after the exam. I think I left the hospital bleeding less than I did with my first.

My baby boy was born 4/12/16 at 9:35 PM. 8 lbs 9 oz 20.25 inches long.

The doctor highly recommended that I only have c-sections from here on out, since all of my births involve shoulder dystocia.
    I can relate to your story and it makes me think about my next child and be more viligent about growth scans ( which I never even really got) My LO got stuck at the shoulders as well- and they were ready with an pediatric orthopedic doctor to break her shoulder if need be. With my pushing and the assistance of 3 doctors they were able to get her out without breaking anything. I am very glad you and your baby are okay and thank you for sharing your story.
    My oldest was only stuck for 30 seconds and had no broken bones, so my last doctor figured that the outcome would be similar or better with a vaginal delivery. Since he was wrong, I'll be taking the hospital doctor's advice and making sure precautions are taken early instead of at 38/39 weeks for any future pregnancies. DH thinks that any future children that we have should be delivered via c-section, since neither one of us want to risk that scenario (or a worse one) again.

LO is doing well and taking comfort in lots of breastfeeding sessions and mommy snuggles.

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We checked in at 10am and prepped for the c section. Things went ok. Every one was friendly. The spinal was a tad painful but not as bad as others I had received. During the process DH cut the cord and recorded many things he was not expecting to witness. We both cried once they placed him on my chest. The whole process took 38 mins! Things started off well during recovery and after going into our postpartum room. Around 10pm we noticed that one of my staples were leaking. After trying to apply pressure and dress it again it continued. OB had to be called in to remove the staple and cauterize the leak. Some of these nurses/assistants had no bedside manner and moved me around in painful ways. Finally got fix and have tons of painful bandages I need to keep for 48 hrs. LO is doing great with BF and pooping tons. He spills up more while laying instead of when I burp him. DH has officially had more sleep than me which upsets me a bit (I've only had like 2 hrs and some dozing off while feeding. But he deals with all the diapers. Hopefully I feel better today and things go well with visitors (aka my mom). I have only had a bit of crackers and apple juice since midnight before the section. I'm starving!!! Oh and LO already made me bleed :(
  • We went in for scheduled induction at 6A on 4/18 at 39.1. Started at 3cm, 70% effaced. They waited to start pitocin until 7:15 since babe was being lazy. OB came in and checked me at 8:30, I was at a 4, and she broke my water. Contractions got incredibly intense and were lasting 1 min plus, with only 1-2 min inbetween. I asked for epidural and got it placed around 10:30. The nurse went to check me a few minutes later because I was still having pain and ridiculous about-to-shit-a-bowing-ball pressure.. go figure, I was at a 10 already. Epidural never actually took. I had a little bit of numbness upper abdomen and tops of feet, but that was about it. (We had problems with my epi with my son too, as it only took on one side initially. One side is definitely better than no sides, I must say.) I definitely pooped on the table and didn't care (let's just say I was terrified prior), and the feeling of crowning was unreal, but the power I felt with pushing was so much more effective IMO. It felt almost impossible to wait for them to set up for delivery, she and I were both ready. My OB was only in the room for 2 minutes before Lucy was born at 11:30. I had a 2nd degree tear and my OB didn't even know that my epidural hadn't taken until I told her I could feel her doing my stitches. 

I never planned on going basically unmedicated with a pitocin induced labor, but we all survived to tell the tale. It wasn't as bad as I imagined it, honestly.. but I'd rather not do it again, haha. My PP healing has been better this time around, and I feel as though that may be partially why. 
  • I was sound asleep and had this dream involving going down a waterslide into water and trying to swim to the surface for air. I woke up at 5:30 am from this feeling the huge gush that was my water breaking. It got all over my pajamas but luckily only a little got on the bed. A whole bunch more got in the toilet and I was so glad I had bought Depends because I soaked through 3 pairs of them that morning. I was really scared and didn't have contractions quite yet but I knew going back to sleep was not an option. As I was eating breakfast shortly after I started to get painful contractions that were really frequent and about 30 seconds long. They hurt so much I decided to go to the hospital and got there around 7:30.

I was only dilated to a 1 but they gave me the epidural. I didn't want one of those originally but I was hating the nauseated feeling and going to poop feeling of the contractions. Unfortunately, I did not know the pooping feeling doesn't go away with an epidural and giving birth still hurts like a bitch. Once I got the epidural I got super shaky and terrified. I was having some sort of panic attack and felt like I couldn't breathe. It was terrible. Then I felt normal again and watched Golden Girls for a while until I was more dilated.

Then came 4 hours of horrible pushing. Maybe it could have been faster but I was holding back at first because I thought what I was feeling was poop but apparently it was the baby and giving birth really is like taking a huge shit. No one really explained this stuff to me before. I was so exhausted and miserable and I felt like it would never end. I got a bad tear and hemorrhoids! It was so crazy when my son was finally out though! I'm so glad he is here and the labor is over.
  • I was sound asleep and had this dream involving going down a waterslide into water and trying to swim to the surface for air. I woke up at 5:30 am from this feeling the huge gush that was my water breaking. It got all over my pajamas but luckily only a little got on the bed. A whole bunch more got in the toilet and I was so glad I had bought Depends because I soaked through 3 pairs of them that morning. I was really scared and didn't have contractions quite yet but I knew going back to sleep was not an option. As I was eating breakfast shortly after I started to get painful contractions that were really frequent and about 30 seconds long. They hurt so much I decided to go to the hospital and got there around 7:30.

I was only dilated to a 1 but they gave me the epidural. I didn't want one of those originally but I was hating the nauseated feeling and going to poop feeling of the contractions. Unfortunately, I did not know the pooping feeling doesn't go away with an epidural and giving birth still hurts like a bitch. Once I got the epidural I got super shaky and terrified. I was having some sort of panic attack and felt like I couldn't breathe. It was terrible. Then I felt normal again and watched Golden Girls for a while until I was more dilated.

Then came 4 hours of horrible pushing. Maybe it could have been faster but I was holding back at first because I thought what I was feeling was poop but apparently it was the baby and giving birth really is like taking a huge shit. No one really explained this stuff to me before. I was so exhausted and miserable and I felt like it would never end. I got a bad tear and hemorrhoids! It was so crazy when my son was finally out though! I'm so glad he is here and the labor is 
  • Tillyvee said:
    Story is a little late but as you can imagine it's been a little busy with a newborn. My due date was 4/11 and as we slowly moved towards that date I was starting to feel like I was going to go well past my due date. I had been at 1 cm forever and one of my docs was talking about inducing on the 18th. So the 11th came and I was feeling a little sad and anxious LO wasn't here yet. I went to bed that night and woke up  around 2 with some of the same cramping I had previous nights. My BF woke up shortly after to see if I okay and I told him it was just a lil pain. I decided to take a shower to help with the pain but it didn't. At this point I accepted the fact that I was having contractions and they were about 3-5 mins apart. I was feeling like I had to poop and I really just wanted to go to the bathroom but even with the urge it didnt seem possible. My BF called the OB around 3 to let her know we were headed to the hospital. I only had 2 somewhat mild contractions on the 15 minute drive to the hospital and I was hoping I wouldn't get sent home. However with each contraction I still had this strong urge to poop. We got to the hospital and I was wheeled up to L&D. I had to provide them with all my ppw again before getting in a room. During this moment I had another contraction so I became annoyed with this process that really only took a few minutes. I get to the room and get hooked up to the monitors and the nurse leaves and says someone will be in shortly to check me. Well I waited what seemed like forever as the contractions suddenly got worse and was screaming for meds. ( Even though I'd planned to go natural) Yes I was that screaming lady, which I was embarrassed about later but oh well. But the nurses must have heard me because they finally came, checked me and I was ready to go. I was in so much pain at this point and told the nurses that I needed to push, I can feel him coming.  But I dont  think they were taking me seriously and one of the nurses told me to calm down. Seriously!! Lady needed to go. They rushed me to delivery and  two pushes later my LO was born right at 4AM.  So it was a rush. Everything moved so quickly. LO had pooped prior to delivery so when he was born they immediately took him to clean him up and make sure his lungs and everything were clear. I tore so had to get stitches. Also because I was never checked, they didn't have the opportunity to hook up my IVs so I had to get a potocin shot in my leg after birth so my uterus would continue to contract. LO checked out fine and we had our boy just 4 hrs late weighing 7 lbs 1 oz and 21 inches long. 4/11 is his cousin's bday so we joke that he just wanted a day of his own. Also, had I waited just a lil longer like I wanted to we could of had our baby on the car. :)
    I can't believe you were at home at 3am and having your baby at 4am!! That's crazy. It sounds like you did really great :-) Congrats on your little one!!
  • My due date was 4/1 but I was have high blood pressure issue starting at the end of February. At 36wks I had my Dr appointment which they found protein in my unine so they sent me to the hospital just to be checked out, but at the hospital I had no protein in my unine (probably BC it was about a half hour apart from each other samples) so they sent me home to do a 24hr unine sample (this was my second one). So the following day when back to the hospital (this was also with 6th trio in 2 wks) and this time my protein was just high enough for them to start to induced me(that was on a Thursday). By Saturday I was only a cm and I talked them in to letting me go home for a bit. Left the hospital at noon on Saturday and had to be back on Sunday at 5pm. Sunday started to process again and Monday morning I was 2cm and they broke my water at 12:35pm. By 7pm I was only 3cm and miserable from the contractions so they gave me my epidural and once I had that, I slept till after 11pm. My doctor came and check me at 11:30 and I was 6cm and she told me that I would have most of the night to sleep. Not even 10 minutes later I'm calling the nurse saying that I'm having a lot of pressure and they all came rushing in and my doctor told me that my ready to push. I started to push at 12:05 and I had she at 12:25am in 3/15 which is also daddy's birthday.