June 2015 Moms
Options

Tired of nursing.

My son who is 10.5 months old is still nursing.  It has been a wonderful experience for both of us. I have loved being able to give that to him and he still loves doing it. We are still nursing between 4 and 10 times in a 24 hour period depending on growth, social situational factors, etc. However, I am really ready to be done at about the 12 month mark.  He doesn't seem anywhere near ready to stop nursing.  In fact in the past when I've tried to introduce bottles or feed him more solid food so that we nurse less he has really adverse behavior like waking up more than usual in the night, not wanting to be away from me, and refusing solids.  Any suggestions on how to stop nursing or ease the transition ?

Re: Tired of nursing.

• Options
    To start, might help to put him on an EASY schedule to cut back the number of feedings. Lots of info/examples on TB and Google (if you don't like the idea of a "schedule", know that it can be very flexible and you can still take baby's cues into consideration. Think of it more like a routine). At this age, you should also be able to cut out night feeds.

As far as bottles, have you tried some different brands/types/nipple flows to find one he is comfortable with?
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    At this point don't bother with bottles. My lo wouldn't drink from a bottle ever and she went right to a cup. It took time but it went a lot better than the bottles. We had every kind and she wouldn't drink them. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ^^Yes, good point, @caitlincunn !
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    btm013btm013 member
    I bow down to you all who stuck with it for this long. I can't offer any advice but praise and respect!!
  • Options
    I don't have any advice, sorry. My son self weaned at 13 months. This time around, my twins are showing no signs of wanting to stop. They are 11 months. I said I would keep breastfeeding past a year if they want to, but the pump is going bye bye. I still have like 1000+ ounces frozen, so I could quit right now if I wanted to, but my goal was always to go to one year. Good luck with your transition. 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker