September 2016 Moms

Switching medical providers

Has anyone had to switch Dr's or midwives?  I'm with a midwife now who comes highly recommended, but I'm not thrilled with her office. Her staff lost a message to her that I had a trip to the ER. The orders for my blood work never make it to the clinic where I get my blood drawn and I have to wait for them to confirm the tests. My appointments often start 1 to 2 hours after they are scheduled. I don't have these issues with my normal Dr.

Is this normal for anyone else? With my hormones raging, I'm not sure if I'm asking too much our if it's time to start looking for a different midwife.

Re: Switching medical providers

• I'd look elsewhere if I were you. That all sounds really unprofessional 
  • Losing the ER note is irresponsible, the labs this is annoying but working in medical I know computer systems can be annoying and cause problems.  The tardiness is hard to avoid sometimes in OB offices BC of the nature of the work.  If you would really like to stay with her but are annoyed with tardiness try to schedule an appointment first thing in the morning or immediately after her lunch break.  Less chance of late clients holding you up.  Also, most of our labs should be done, but for the next one's call ahead to avoid waiting in person.  If there's another provider that comes recommended then sure, switch, just know some of the problems may or may not be there too.  Every other appt I seem to have to wait up to an hour, whereas the other is right on time.  My office forgot to order my rh lab and I had to get it drawn on a subsequent visit, bit these things  happen.  
  • Loading the player...
  • lickasticklickastick member
    edited April 2016
    If I were you I'd switch, I'm also really intolerant of people making me wait more than 15min for an appointment to start. I've left numerous places that made me wait longer than 30 mins, ie..chiropractor, eye exam, ect. 

These people might potentially hold your life in their hands, do you really want this team to get you through that if that is the case. Do you trust them with your life?

Early in this pregnancy I had signed up with one group of midwives, but ended up switching due to disorganization to a solo midwife practice. I could not be more happy I switched, my new midwife is absolutly perfect! I kept having experiances similar to yours with the old group which was my cue that I was in the wrong practice. As soon as I switched everything was easy again. 

Good luck
  • You are not being unreasonable. It's inconsiderate to make you wait an hour + for appointments. It's irresponsible not to be able to take down a message. It's potentially hazardous to make slip ups related to blood work. 

I would switch.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kosmo86kosmo86 member
    I would switch. I'm not sure if you are a SAHM or not but for me the appts would be a deal breaker. I cannot take a half day off work for every appointment, especially when we get down to the bi-weekly/weekly appts. 
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• Switch if you can but let them know why. If they don't know they're a problem they won't improve. 
  • i'd definitely switch if you can...with my first pregnancy we moved and i had to leave an AMAZING doctor and go it another highly recommended doc closer to my house.  However, i hated the office staff and policies...but i was stuck because i switched so late i couldn't switch again.  So with this pregnancy i switched earlier on and I'm so glad i did!  I hope you can find a new doctor.  

When looking to switch, I recommend you find the hospital you want to deliver at (personally i think that's more important than your doctor...especially since my doc wasn't even there to actually deliver my baby...though he claimed to deliver 90% of his babies)....so find the hospital you want and then look to see which doctors deliver there.  Also, call labor and delivery and ask them which doctors they prefer to work with or if they could recommend anyone.  I also always like to see a picture of my doc...in my opinion you can tell a lot be seeing the person (and honestly this has been my best way of finding a doctor yet...my previous doc looked like a bit of a creeper...and i wasn't thrilled with the picture but i had to settle...i wont do it again)

go with your instinct and it sounds like it's telling you to switch.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd switch.
    my dr has a patient portal . She sends and receives her patients emails rather than dealing with the office or calling back.

Her office also calls me and tells me if she's going to be any later than 30 minutes behind. Most of the time it's because someone else is in labor.
    and we can't plan labor most of the time unless we have to be induced or c section.

But losing important paper work that you went to the ER Is definitely a deal breaker for me. I'd be furious as I have also been to the ER during this pregnancy .