December 2015 Moms

Scared DH won't recognize me on Mother's Day

so I've mentioned a lot that Mother's Day is Coming and if he's done his shopping. He's said that it's a "hallmark" holiday. I just wish he would get it on his own. My sister said she would text him to remind him. But I don't want a gift if he is feeling forced. Because then it's not special. Not sure what to do. Any advice or anyone else have a DH/SO like this? Is it too much to ask for flowers and a card? 
But also if he doesn't get me anything I think I will be crushed and we are having brunch with my parents so it will be hard to pretend that it doesn't bother me. Even though I'm sad inside. I want a great first Mother's Day. Not a sad one

Re: Scared DH won't recognize me on Mother's Day

• Loading the player...
  • What PPs said.

I don't expect any gifts from DH, he's not a gift giver. I'm looking forward to spending time with my family and snuggling up DD all day. We're making a craft for our mother's using DDs hands and feet. If you do want a gift just tell him. Men don't get hints lol.
  • I agree with @yl1m32015 I asked DH to celebrate and he said he already thought about it. Like PP said, I am the mother of his child and after a pretty hard year, I want to be appreciated.
  • @taysun I would totally love a dyson for a gift but I love clean floors. 

Hubs always downplays holidays but comes through in the end. He already told me my Mother's Day gift is "just a small sentimental thing" I also know he got "basically the same thing" for his mom and my mom. Even last year I got flowers. I might get a nap but really it'll just be a family day. 
  • I love clean floors and would love a Dyson. I really want a steam mop. My life is very exciting. My husband said something is getting delivered this weekend from Ellie (lol). Probably peonies because I said the other day how much I wanted some. For Mother's Day he is leaving me alone for three days with the baby while he goes on a business trip and I'm a bit terrified.
  • kdoak2015kdoak2015 member
    edited May 2016
    My DH is the opposite and goes ALL out for this type of thing. He's always been good about celebrating events/holidays. I'm pretty sure he's getting me a pair of Birkenstocks. 
    I think instead of being upset be prepared for him to not get anything for you and if he does then bonus! 
  • I love clean floors and would love a Dyson. I really want a steam mop. My life is very exciting. My husband said something is getting delivered this weekend from Ellie (lol). Probably peonies because I said the other day how much I wanted some. For Mother's Day he is leaving me alone for three days with the baby while he goes on a business trip and I'm a bit terrified.
    Lol one year I got a steam mop & I cried. For the last 3 years I've planned my own day bc he sucks at it.  Normally I go to an amusement park but this year the weather looks bad so me & some of my mom friends are going to lunch & shopping. I can't wait! 
  • If you don't want a forced gift, why are you pushing it? I with pp...a nap and shower and I am a happy camper. 

What do you plan to do for him for Father's Day? 
  • We're going to the movies to see the new Captain America movie sans baby. Is it weird to want to celebrate a little without her? 

I think it sucks if you want a present and won't get one. But maybe you could instead ask him to watch baby while you do something for yourself like binge watch Netflix for a couple hours or take a nap. It's kind of a compromise?
  • I don't think it's too much to expect some appreciation and I don't think it's wrong wrong to ask for what you want. My husband totally blew my first mother's day and I told him how disappointed I was. He felt terrible and went way too extravagant for my bday that year. That being said, I have to spell out what I want to this day. I told him a few weeks ago that I wanted banana cream pie for mother's day and he forgot and asked our 4 year old the other night. He then programmed a reminder in his phone. I hope your husband changes his attitude about it for your sake. :)
  • amye02amye02 member
    I sent an email of ideas for mother's day,  I really like the bar necklaces with baby's name / birthday or birthstone so I sent links for several that I like. He doesn't like to waste money on things I won't use,  I had to give him ten options for my engagement ring lol
  • amye02 said:
    I sent an email of ideas for mother's day,  I really like the bar necklaces with baby's name / birthday or birthstone so I sent links for several that I like. He doesn't like to waste money on things I won't use,  I had to give him ten options for my engagement ring lol
    Oh, now I really want one of those. 
  • I would love flowers, or some mention of the special day, but I know he will forget about it. I will have to do my own planning, and get myself flowers and pretend the baby picked them out.
  • amye02 said:
    I have my eye on a rose gold bar necklace with DDs initials engraved on it!!! Love!!
  • Over here our mothers day is in March, SO was great I got some chocolate a lovely card with my son's handprint and a dvd that I really wanted to see! 
  • tepr14tepr14 member
    My DH isn't very good at remembering holidays or special days, I've just accepted that's the person he is. I typically have to remind him of peoples birthday (even his own family). At this point I never expect anything from him, sometimes he surprises me and other times I just have to tell him flat out.

Maybe a more direct approach would help? My DH once told me that he can't read my mind and if I want or need something to just tell him. That's the best I advice I can give. Like pp said...men don't get hints.
  • I agree with the previous poster! My DH is the same way. He sometimes surprises me and then sometimes completely forgets (he was adorably horrible on our first valentines day so I kind of knew ahead of time :) He asked what I wanted for mothers day and I told him I wanted us to do footprint stepping stones for us, the grandparents, and all the great grandparents. He knows now that I really don't care much about Christmas, valentines day, etc but our anniversary's mean a lot to me.

If he doesn't surprise you I would just tell him something you would like to do or buy for your first mothers day from baby. It's the first mother's day so I understand wanting it to be special. Don't let it ruin your day if he doesn't surprise you!
  • Happy mother's day! I hope your dh pulled it together and you have a great day.