May 2016 Moms

PSA: Dogs and your newborn

Hey everyone,

I know I've posted before about how important safety is when it comes to dogs and babies, but saw this article (https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/apr/22/dog-mauls-kills-baby/) and wanted to bring it up again since it is SO important. In this instance, the parents were in the room with the dog and baby and still weren't able to prevent the attack or save him. So please, please, PLEASE take every precaution to protect your baby.

And of course, if anyone has any questions on dog safety or training, please feel free to ask away!

Re: PSA: Dogs and your newborn

• I saw this story and found it very disturbing. My dog has never given me any cause for concern. However, my dog has also never been around babies. He is high energy and very playful at 5.5 years old. My dog will always be my first baby, but I think we will need to make some adjustments in the house.

What's the best way to introduce the dog to the baby?

What types of precautions/preventative measures do you recommend?
  • Very sad story... I live in San Diego, so I've been seeing this all over the place.

• Loading the player...
  • Lurking from June.... 
    This is another reason to not co-sleep, especially if you allow your animals in bed with you. Also as a San diegan, the way this story has been reported, it's making the dog out to be a vicious dog, when the parents failed to take immediate action with the child. They called 911 and were put on hold three times, for a total of almost a half hour, before deciding to drive their child to the hospital. 

Regardless, it's a shame that an innocent newborn had to lose his life, and that the dog was ultimately put down even though he had never shown any other aggression besides this one instant. 

Happy May!! Here's to hoping for fast, easy deliveries to you ladies!! :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Mel90412  I looked up some stuff since my dog is older and generally crank Yb about new things. One tip was to play baby crying, initially low and then progressively louder pending on dog reaction....and to do it when they eat. Also to send home items with the baby's scent before you get home.  My dog could have cared less about the crying....I think it bothered me more.
  • @TheThornBird Thanks, but shouldn't this all be common sense?
  • Not intended to be snarky. Apologies for it coming across that way.
  • This is super helpful (and terrifying), I can be pretty casual with my dogs and this is a good reminder to be hyper vigilant about keeping my baby and the dogs under close watch anytime they're anywhere near each other. 
  • @TheThornBird, your advice is very much appreciated. It's such a good idea to get some new toys or treats; I think we'll be doing that!
  • yogahhyogahh member
    @TheThornBird Thanks, but shouldn't this all be common sense?

Obviously not common sense or this baby would still be alive, right?

cat fail animated GIF

• edited May 2016

The absolute #1 thing is never, ever, EVER allow the dog to have access to the baby without full, awake, 100% focused supervision.  
    Keep your dog at distances where he remains calm- no jumping, barking, demanding attention, etc. Ideally, you want them to just "hang out" calmly with you. 

I want to repeat- never ever allow them access or anywhere they could potentially reach the baby without full, undistracted adult supervision. These incidents are rare, but it shows that all it takes is one second and one bite. 
    This is how we live successfully with indoor working breed dogs (that before baby we actually worked and trained extensively) and a toddler and infant. We do not allow access to baby unless we are 100% there. 

We do not blindly trust the dogs and also babies/toddlers are also not trustworthy (and they happen to be right at face bite level).

The toddler is wonderful with animals and treats them kindly. The dogs are well trained, very loved, and a part of our family but we never forgot they are dogs. These dogs take a lot- they have a lot of energy, need an outlet for energy, and can be very pushy if allowed by anyone. We never take any chances.   

Since we could not watch the toddler while I am getting a c-section we made sure the dogs were well cared for by dog savvy individuals at a different house than our home where the toddler & caregiver are staying during the procedure. This is because so many people lack common sense and animals. It isn't worth the chance. Ever. 
  • jumpy57jumpy57 member
    @camillaandcarson wow you brought up an excellent point about having different people watch the dogs and kids. It makes a lot of sense actually, I have a few friends that would definitely be willing to help but I question their ability to manage dogs and baby at the same time. My dogs like to manipulate my friends (friend training is hard!). I will keep this in mind for the future!
  • TinaThoTinaTho member
    edited May 2016
    @TheThornBird

Thank you for all of the pointers. It's difficult of course for many of us who view our dogs as family members to also keep in mind that they are still animals prone to reactions we can't always anticipate. I'll be looking back to this in a few weeks once LO is here.

Had a reminder this weekend when my 2 year old nephew fell on my very loving 9 year old dog. I was on the floor next to my dog (not distracted) when my nephew took my dog by surprise by coming up to his back and then inadvertently falling on him. Needless to say my surprised dog growled (warning growl) and leaned in... Scaring himself and us. Of course all was fine, my nephew wasn't phased and my dog recovered instantly- it was a defensive reaction. But it was a huge reminder that even though my dog doesn't mean to harm anyone (and I don't believe he ever would intentionally) that boundaries and close supervision must be kept to so as to not set anyone up for failure or a potentially dangerous situation. Even a non-aggressive dog in the wrong situation could do harm.

edited because typing is difficult today.
  • vinerievinerie member
    edited May 2016
    I think one of the best pieces of advice is to not force the baby on the dog. Like pp said, dogs have a great sense of smell. They will know that someone new is in the house. I'm a big fan of positive reinforcement; short, successful and rewarded interactions will be great. But the biggest part I think is using common sense! 

ETA: Oh, and I think it is smart to have a space that is ONLY the dog's space. Like a bed or crate or something where he/she can go if things get nutty and feel secure. 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• SunnySurpriseSunnySurprise member
    edited May 2016
    Firstly, kudos for that advice post! I agree that even with trustworthy docile dogs, a healthy dose of precaution and some extra safety measures are key at first. Better to be a bit paranoid now than regretting it later. 

For us (three dogs atm, first baby) the biggest challenge has been that between all the baby cuddles, it's easy to forget that the furry family members need some attention too. We've set strict rules, when baby's being cuddled the dogs stay at a distance, when dogs are being cuddled, baby isn't in the vicinity. Dogs need to learn that they have to wait their turn but will not be forgotten. Once they have that down, there won't be any jealousy. 

LO is a preemie so I'm not allowing her close to the dogs until she reaches her due date anyway. Once she's a bit older, I might be in the minority but actually think it's very important for her to be able to come in closer contact with the dogs (of course while being strictly supervised) and allow the dogs to get to know her from more than a distance. I want them to get used to each other, not to separate them all the time.    

I think growing up close with pets is an invaluable experience. The biggest factor is learning not to avoid dogs but to behave properly around them. Even toddlers can learn how to approach a dog without inciting it to play or fight. My agility trainer has four ex-service or ex-police dogs, all "huge and scary breeds" and they will literally roll on their backs around her one-year-old.

One thing I would really urge everyone to do is to not shield the kids from the dogs but teach them how to act around them. I've lost count of how many times random kids spooked my rescue dog in public by touching him without asking and the parents thinking it's okay because he was on a leash. This is what causes accidents, dogs misunderstanding human signals, not dogs just randomly flipping. 

That said, yes to all the precaution with a newborn. Once baby gets more mobile, teach dogs and kids equally how to behave around each other. My two cents. 

ETA: allowing the dog to sniff at LO while holding her can have pros too. At least for our dogs I know they'll be curious about this bundle we're keeping at a distance and keen to get to it, but once they're actually allowed to sniff, they lose all interest. 
    <3 Welcome, Baby Lola!  <3
    Lorenza Justice, born 04/24/2016, 34w6d, 4lbs 8oz, 17 inches
    Home, healthy & happy :)

~ A., A. & L.J. - our family is complete ~
  • @proudparent2b I apologize for jumping to that conclusion. I swear, the more pregnant I get, the more I assume bad intentions (just ask my poor husband!). You'd think things like that would be common sense, but as a trainer I see owners do crazy things All. The. Time. There's a lot of bad information out there, and it can be difficult for people to find the right information. 

@camillaandcarson YES. Toddlers are a whole 'nother ballgame, and usually way more difficult than an infant. Mobile+grabby hands can be a disaster. Once all our LO's are up and moving around, I'll have to do another post on how to handle that! And that's a great suggestion to let the dogs stay with someone else for awhile (or you can board them at a boarding facility). I also tell my new parent clients to use outside help as much as possible; if family or neighbors offer help, have them help with dog care (walks, feeding, making toys, etc). Hiring a dog walker can also be helpful. 

@TinaTho Yes, it is very easy to forget they are animals and can be dangerous! When I used to work with Big Scary Wild Animals back in the day, I saw people forget how dangerous they were all the time :) I'm so happy things turned out okay with your dog and nephew, and as odd as this may sound, it's great your dog chose to growl instead of biting or snapping. If indicators of discomfort- such as growling- are respected, dogs will often never bite because they know they don't have to. 

@vinerie Yup, short sweet and positive does the trick :) Also a great suggestion to have a special, safe place the dog can go to get away, *especially* once our babies are mobile.

@SunnySurprise I do agree that dogs and children can be taught to be in close contact (as long as there is supervision), but I think it needs to be trained in a controlled manner that is age-appropriate with necessary precautions in place. And YES to teaching kids how to behave around dogs! A website I like for that is www.stopthe77.com- it has handouts and videos geared towards children. It blows my mind parents allow kids to come up to your dog without asking (but it doesn't surprise me one bit). I know people who trained their shy (but perfectly friendly) dogs to wear a muzzle when out on walks in order to scare off parents/owners that let their kids/dogs come right up without asking permission. And yes, dogs don't just randomly flip. On average a dog gives 20-30 signals before biting, and often there is a long history of these signals being ignored or punished before the dog finally does resort to biting. 

• I hate that this happened- but I would like to say that when I saw the article I was terrified people on this board were going to be like "it's because it's a pit bull mix!"- because I'm still used to people doing that. I'm really relieved that I haven't seen anyone blaming the breed on this board- as in so relieved that I'm close to tears. Stupid hormones. 
    @bookelf221 My first thought was just that since it was a pit bull mix, it really has the strength to do damage and seems more likely to have a worse outcome. But then I realized that with a baby that small, it's not going to be good with most breeds. My dogs' jaw strength couldn't match a pit bull, but they're a lab and a german shepherd - they would have no problem doing damage to a tiny baby. Now I need to figure out where to put my dogs for the first week or so, I don't want to deal with a brand new baby and worrying about the dogs right from the start.
  • @pascal86 Most of the information about pitbulls and their "violence" are media hype- last year a local dog mauled a kid and got labeled as a pit.... it was a black lab. Most pitties actually score higher on temperament tests than dogs that are considered "safe" here's a link to an infographic with more information

• @bookelf221 - That's a pretty interesting infographic - I knew that they weren't any more violent than other dogs (although sometimes I just wonder if the type of people who would make any dog violent, i.e. leave them tied up in front of the house all day, abuse them, etc., are disproportionately drawn towards pit bulls). But I did think that they had much stronger jaw strength. Although again, I don't think that really matters with a 3 day old baby. Any dog of a certain size would be a bad mix.
  • Pascal86 said:
    @bookelf221 - That's a pretty interesting infographic - I knew that they weren't any more violent than other dogs (although sometimes I just wonder if the type of people who would make any dog violent, i.e. leave them tied up in front of the house all day, abuse them, etc., are disproportionately drawn towards pit bulls). But I did think that they had much stronger jaw strength. Although again, I don't think that really matters with a 3 day old baby. Any dog of a certain size would be a bad mix.
    @pascal86 Oh I agree- no matter what type of dog, a 3 day hold baby has no chance, even a chi could do some serious damage. I think the issue with pitties is that someone decided they would be good fighting dogs- but I want to say the breeds used in dog fights (I think people who fight dogs should be shot personally) have changed over the years too- but now that's what's stuck with them. 
  • @bookelf221 That would make sense, all the pits I know are mega-snugglers!
  • Pascal86 said:
    @bookelf221 That would make sense, all the pits I know are mega-snugglers!
    @Pascal86
    HA yes, Mine are no different. We joke that if someone were to break into our house our big one (Am. Bulldog/pit mix)  who isn't crated (he broke every single one we tried) would just show them around the house and invite them to stay for a cuddle. He gets really offended we think when we walk them and people look at him and don't pet him. If he sees someone looking at him, he stands by them until they walk away, we drag him away, or they pet him. He's a doofus 
  • @SunnySurprise I do agree that dogs and children can be taught to be in close contact (as long as there is supervision), but I think it needs to be trained in a controlled manner that is age-appropriate with necessary precautions in place. And YES to teaching kids how to behave around dogs! A website I like for that is www.stopthe77.com- it has handouts and videos geared towards children. It blows my mind parents allow kids to come up to your dog without asking (but it doesn't surprise me one bit). I know people who trained their shy (but perfectly friendly) dogs to wear a muzzle when out on walks in order to scare off parents/owners that let their kids/dogs come right up without asking permission. And yes, dogs don't just randomly flip. On average a dog gives 20-30 signals before biting, and often there is a long history of these signals being ignored or punished before the dog finally does resort to biting. 
    100% agree with all of this!! This is so important to understand. And I'm also completely with you about rather taking a bit extra precaution than feeling a bit too safe. Appropriate training (of owner/parent, dog and child) and supervision really are key for making peaceful cohabitating possible. 

Great tip about the muzzle, thanks. For now we've settled on putting one of those "please don't touch me" vests on him when we're in a place where such a situation might occur. Usually that alerts parents to keep kids away. 
    <3 Welcome, Baby Lola!  <3
    Lorenza Justice, born 04/24/2016, 34w6d, 4lbs 8oz, 17 inches
    Home, healthy & happy :)

~ A., A. & L.J. - our family is complete ~
  • For now we've settled on putting one of those "please don't touch me" vests on him when we're in a place where such a situation might occur. Usually that alerts parents to keep kids away. 
    Smart idea! I've heard so many stories of service dogs with those vests (and who are clearly guiding someone who is blind) that people STILL go up to and pet. Adults, too, not just kids! I don't know what people are thinking, that's so dangerous for the person who is being guided by the dog. 
  • edited May 2016

@camillaandcarson YES.
    I also tell my new parent clients to use outside help as much as possible; if family or neighbors offer help, have them help with dog care (walks, feeding, making toys, etc). Hiring a dog walker can also be helpful. 

Lol at the thought of my nice neighbors, family, & friends offering to walk my dogs.
    My dogs would run all over anyone that doesn't have working dog experience who is walking them. It would cause way more harm than good as far as people can't generally handle them as if you give them an inch they take miles.

That is why we chose the people who watch our dogs very carefully and have known them for years.
    But I do understand what you are saying ;)
    Well meaning people could totally help with the other things you listed though.