December 2016 Moms

Has anyone had Bacterial vaginosis while pregnant?

So I went into the emergency room last week due to some bright red bleeding, ultrasound came back fine and they said I had a UTI which probably caused the bleeding. But a week later they called me and said I also have BV and gave me an antibiotic which clearly says on the warning to not take during first trimester so now Im confused and worried and have been having pink spotting since has anyone ever had this? Did you treat after first trimester? Does it do more harm than good to try to cure it right now? any insight would be helpful Im waiting for Dr to try to get me in today so we'll see how that goes

Re: Has anyone had Bacterial vaginosis while pregnant?

• edited April 2016
    I've never had this happen, but I do know that BV can be harmful to your pregnancy, causing pre-term birth and smaller babies, so it's MUCH better to take the risk on the antibiotics and go ahead and treat it.  Double check with doc though.
  • Can you call your PCP or OB to verify if it's a good idea to take or not? Maybe the docs at emergency miscommunicated and the message of you being pregnant got lost... I would get a second opinion before taking!
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    TTC #1 Oct 2015
    BFP Mar 26, 2016 - DD born Nov 2016 <3
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    DX: MF June 2019, varicocele embolization Jan 2020, good improvement (14 mil, low motility)
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    IVF #1 Dec 2020 (ICSI) - ER, freeze-all - 15 retrieved, 15 mature, 15 fertilized. 4 embryos frozen, all day 5 blasts!
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN
    FET #2 Apr 2021 - BFP 5DP5DT!! Beta #1 13DP5DT (17DPO)  = HcG 1,238. Beta #2 17DP5DT (21DPO) = HcG 8,269

• Loading the player...
  • That's what I thought also, they are trying to fit me in today to see how bad the infection is since the emergency room won't release my records to my OB. I'm also going to see if they maybe have an alternative antibiotic that isn't so harsh
  • I had it in my last pregnancy I was I believe 6-8 wks along and I did the medicine for a week and I have a beautiful healthy baby boy who had to be induced at 39 wks due to high blood pressure and weighed 7lbs 2oz. 
    If I were to have it again I'd take the medicine again. I didn't have any bleeding though. 
  • Wait - the ER won't release your health records?  YOUR HEALTH RECORDS I say again for emphasis.  They don't own them, you do... Fight that shit, first of all.  Second, yes, a vaginal infection can spread to your cervix, uterus etc.  The risks of that outweighs the risks of the meds.  Now whether you are on the right meds?.... I'd call your OB for comfort.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Idk if it's the ER that's incompetent or my OB's office. I had to pull my own records and bring them in since they had such a hard time trying to receive them. I'm waiting for the DR as I type hoping I can get some accurate information 
  • @lestielovee If you use the search function for BV, you'll find this was discussed not too long ago. Hopefully you'll find some more insight there as well. Good luck!
  • This sounds so stressful! I'm sorry. I would speak to a pharmacist. They know a lot more about drugs IMO
  • Can someone explain to me what bacterial vaginosis is exactly and the symptoms that accompany this?
    Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • hoosehoose member
    There are two different types of BV. One is a virus that a person gets by having sex with an infected person. It has a different technical name but The common name is BV
    The other type is a bacteria that most women will get at some point. Most of the time a women's body will fight it off and a women will have no idea she had it. Sometimes a person will need a little extra help fighting it off. When a women is pregnant she has a harder time fighting it off plus it can cause preterm birth. 
  • The only time I have ever had BV was when I was pregnant with my son.  I got a UTI at 10 weeks pregnant, took antibiotics then around 14 weeks developed BV.  I took the antibiotics only for it to come back not twice but three more times during pregnancy.  It is a viscous never ending cycle because the first round of antibiotics took all my good bacteria away but you can not leave it untreated.  I would suggest taking the antibiotics and also drinking and eating TONS of probiotics. 
  • I'm dealing with this too, first it was a yeast infection at around 7 weeks, treated with OTC as per doc's recommendations, then last week was a UTI, treated with macrobid (antibiotic), and since taking those, I have what I think is BV. Seeing the doc today. SO annoying. But I do find that taking probiotic supplements helps a lot, I had been taking them everyday for a while and got nothing, and once I forgot to take them regularly, I got that yeast infection. I also eat greek yogurt every day but it seems without the supplements, that's not enough. I drink like 4 litres of water a day so that's not the issue.
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    TTC #1 Oct 2015
    BFP Mar 26, 2016 - DD born Nov 2016 <3
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    DX: MF June 2019, varicocele embolization Jan 2020, good improvement (14 mil, low motility)
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    IVF #1 Dec 2020 (ICSI) - ER, freeze-all - 15 retrieved, 15 mature, 15 fertilized. 4 embryos frozen, all day 5 blasts!
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN
    FET #2 Apr 2021 - BFP 5DP5DT!! Beta #1 13DP5DT (17DPO)  = HcG 1,238. Beta #2 17DP5DT (21DPO) = HcG 8,269

• The best probiotic to help prevent BV is acidophillus. It has the closest mixture to your natural bacteria. It also helps with keeping swamp crotch awaw.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• hoose said:
    There are two different types of BV. One is a virus that a person gets by having sex with an infected person. It has a different technical name but The common name is BV
    The other type is a bacteria that most women will get at some point. Most of the time a women's body will fight it off and a women will have no idea she had it. Sometimes a person will need a little extra help fighting it off. When a women is pregnant she has a harder time fighting it off plus it can cause preterm birth. 
    *lurking*

This is wrong. Bacterial (note the emphasis) vaginosis is *always* caused by an imbalance of good and bad bacteria in the vagina, it is *never* caused by a virus. It is also not technically an STD, but having sex with multiple partners can increase the liklihood of developing BV because that can mess with the bacterial balance.

It is quite common in pregnancy due to the hormonal changes fiddling with bacterial balance, and it is very important to have it treated in pregnancy to reduce the risk of low birth weight and premature birth. There are a few different treatments (most common is metro gel).

@swhiddon33 BV is often asymptomatic, and is identified during a PAP or other pelvic exam by a healthcare provider. It may cause a fishy odor, and a thin grayish discharge, but often there are no symptoms. 

*lurker out*
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • PrettyPalomino I am in the same boat as you started with a UTI then BV treated the UTI and now have BV and a yeast infection and DR called me to tell me this morning that I have a UTI again. I'm using a yeast infection treatment and was prescribed antiobiotics for the UTI again and was told to wait until I start my second trimester to treat the BV she said theres also a possibility of it going away on its own by then I really hope these infections clear up soon