August 2016 Moms
Options

Sitting all day--advice needed

So, during the school year, I am a teacher, but during the summer, I score portfolios for Pearson. I am worried because I generally stand most of the day, but will be sitting for 7 hours a day from when I will be 33 weeks until 36 weeks. I wasn't worried until yesterday when I sat through a 3 hour meeting and had pain in my lower back.  Those of you with jobs that involve lots of sitting, how do you deal? Any special must have for spending long periods sitting while pregnant?

Re: Sitting all day--advice needed

• Options
    I sit at a desk 8-9 hours a day with my job. The best advice I can give is to get up at least once an hour and go for a 5-10 minute walk. Sometimes that's hard to do if you're really busy, which happens to me a lot, but try to do it as often as you can. I also do some stretches for about two minutes every time I go to the bathroom and will sometimes stand while I do my work for a few minutes at a time. While you are sitting, make sure you're sitting with the proper posture and feet positioning to make sure you're getting optimal blood flow. 
  • Options
    I don't know if this is a possibility for you, but I sugest bringing an exercise ball to replace your chair. It is a game changer. If I sit in a regular chair for too long o notice my legs swell. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I sit behind a desk for work as well. I usually try and get up every hour or couple of hours to walk around or stretch for a few minutes. While sitting down, I'll flex my feet and prop them up. As for back pain, I had to change the type of chair I was sitting in and add a pillow for my lower back to be comfortable. 
  • Options
    Sit on a pillow!!! It sounds wierd, but as you eventually slouch into poor posture the pillow moves- forcing you to shift your body. Ive been using the seatbelt pillow MIL got me a few wks ago. Its small enough to fit in my seat without drawing attn. 
  • Options
    Sounds like you will be in meetings all day - a lot of ppl I'm my company get up and stand at the back of the room every once in a while to get the blood flowing, etc. and it's totally acceptable.  If you can, would try and do it once ever 1-2 hours 
  • Options
    I have a desk job. I try to get up about once an hour to go to the copier, bathroom, ask a question. 
    I will also just get up and stretch. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Love my varidesk - I think 1/4 of my office has one now. Easy to go from sitting to standing
    Married - 4/7/07
    Son #1- 2/15/08
    Son #2- 8/18/10
    Baby 3 due 8/8/16
  • Options
    I don't have advice other than a bolster for behind your lower back, but I have the opposite problem.  I sit all day at work, so on weekends, like today, when I'm up and out all day playing with DD and running errands and such it takes a toll.  By 5pm my lower back was screaming and my ankles get swollen.
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Options
    Love my varidesk - I think 1/4 of my office has one now. Easy to go from sitting to standing
    So awesome!  I asked for one of these last time I was pregnant and again when I was having hip issues after pregnancy per the recommendation of my chiropractor.  You basically have to give up your first born to HR and fill out mountains of paperwork your dr then has to sign off on and fill out some of their own, THEN HR might approve it, oh, but then it has to go to facilities.....I still don't have one lol.
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Options
    I sit at a desk all day and sometimes I have trouble pulling myself away. I try to drink a lot of water to at least encourage frequent bathroom breaks, then when I go to the bathroom, I choose the one that is farthest away from where I sit. It helps keep me hydrated too, so it's a win-win. I also go for a walk at lunch when I can. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I have a fitbit and participating in the 250 steps an hour goal really helps me. My backside hurt before I started doing it, especially since I sit at a desk all day. 
  • Options
    I sit at a desk all day long. This is what I am currently doing. Make sure you have somthing to prop your feet up on and invest in some compression socks. I also have a coccyx seat/pillow that I sit on. This has saved me as I have severe tail bone pain when sitting (I had this with DD and the pillow seat was a lifesaver). Try to get up at least once and hour if possible. 
  • Options
    I sit all day and definitely have lower back/hip pain/tailbone.  I've been seeing a chiropractor weekly, which seems to help.  Ditto on the getting up once an hour, but let's be real... you're supposed to be drinking water like a fish which means you go to the bathroom 500 times a day, so you'll naturally do that.  This is kind of odd, but the muscles in my glutes have continually gotten crazy tighter, and the chiro thinks it could be all the sitting and behind some of the tailbone pain.  He sent me home with hip/glute stretches last week, so maybe that'll help.  Google and look around for some--perhaps they can help you?
  • Options
    I second getting a chiropractor. Mine has helped me immensely for the past two years with my migraines and has helped a lot this pregnancy too. He's helped with the hip and lower back pain from sitting too much. And helped with sciatica pain.
  • Options
    I have a recycling bin under my desk turned upside down so I can prop my feet up under my desk and kinda lean back.  I think I may also bring my yoga ball into my office later on.  

• Options
    At the very least, do some leg lifts under your desk (straighten your legs, lift, and hold them there for 5-10 seconds). Try to keep your legs moving while you're sitting if getting up isn't an option.
    Me: 25  DH: 28

Hubby's little boy - my wonderful step-son - born 5/23/10
    BFP#1: 06/2010...my beautiful baby girl born 3/7/2011
    BFP #2: 10/24/15...mc on 10/31/15
    BFP #3: 11/27/15. EDD 8/6/16

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill
  • Options
    @ThisisNumber3  I am currently using a recycling bin upside down as well as my foot rest! Easier than bringing something into the office.