June 2016 Moms
Options

Low BP? Anemia? What's happening?!

Happy Friday!

Since becoming pregnant, I have continuously had lower than average BP (which I hear is super normal). Last week it was 115/52. However, in the last few weeks, I have seen 'stars' in my eyes (I like to describe it as glitter!) when getting up from a bent over position or exercising lightly. Today, while teaching, I was standing up after tying a shoe and I got super dizzy and had the stars in my vision for a good 20 seconds. It was scary and I held on to a chair for fear of passing out. Everything ended up fine, but Googling this scared me into thinking I had Pre-E. 

Fast-forward to this afternoon, my OBGYN emailed me back and told me it sounded more like low blood pressure than Pre-E, and that I should eat more protein, get up slowly, and stay hydrated. 

My question to you all is this - Has anyone else experienced anything similar? If so, is there anything else I can try to do to keep this from becoming more frequent? I feel like I am eating protein quiet frequently, and I try to stand up slowly each time. I am anemic since the 2nd trimester, and I tend to forget to take my iron supplement. Do you think there may be a correlation there?

Thanks for letting me vent and ask a ton of questions. Google is not my friend lately, so I thought you all may have some insight without freaking me out! ;)

Re: Low BP? Anemia? What's happening?!

• Options
    Yep, totally normal.
  • Options
    Totally normal. I work in an ER and the doctor caught me holding a chair after standing up too fast. He gave me a bottle of water and reminded me to slow down a little. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've had that issue since I was a kid.  I'm having a good day if my BP hits 110/60, its just how my body is and always has been.  The biggest advice I have is to stand slowly if you've been sitting or laying down.  If you get dizzy/see stars, just sit back down for a second or get your head below your heart until it goes away.  It's annoying but fairly easily dealt with.

I don't know if the BP issue for you is tied to the anemia, that's a great question for your doctor.
  • Options
    Normal. My BP was 105/60 and doc
    said it was great. I would assume not taking your iron would affect that. Soooooo take your iron :) and take it easy 
  • Options
    The absolute highest my BP has been this pregnancy is 106/57. Totally normal and healthy, so no concerns there. Your blood volume is changing and I get lots of floaters in my eyes if I'm not careful (say in the showe if I stay too long or it's too hot). The anemia usually causes fatigue first, try to remember the supplement but you an also increase through diet and anemia tends to improve in third tri as blood production levels out. GL!
  • Options
    Normal. My blood oressure stays around 102/50. I also have the "stars" and almost blackouts. I have always gotten them sometimes, but more this pregnancy. I asked my midwife and she tested me for anemia (I'm not) so I agree that you should take your iron. It should help some. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My BP is usually normal, but I definitely get the stars thing too when I bend down and stand back up sometimes. I have a tendency to have low iron too (have been rejected for blood donations many times for not passing the iron test), so that could make sense. I also can't stop eating ice, which I know is a sign of low iron. Since I have never actually passed out, I haven't worried too much about it. 
    DS1 5-18-2012
    DS2 5-18-2014
    DD1 EDD 6-21-2016

babysizercom pregnancy ticker
  • Options
    Totally normal! I have this issue as well. Doc says just to rest when these episodes happen. 
  • Options
    Yes, not taking your iron pills is probably affecting you if your doing everything your supposed to be doing to help prevent low bp... if you look up symptoms of anemia during pregnancy dizziness and light headed Ness are on the list.. and I know this bc I was just told last week I was anemic and I thought I was just having bp issues and I'm not.. take your pills!! I know it's hard I have to take 3 a day and I have missed a couple myself..
  • Options
    Deff normal as pp stated. Certian positions can trigger an episode too so you need to go into standing positions with ease giving your body time to adjust. Hang in there it's almost over. 
  • Options
    Highly, highly recommend liquid iron by floradix. It is literally a miracle worker! I see improvements within the next day of taking it and it doesn't constipated you. I feel amazing since I started taking it and was so lethargic and dizzy before. Ask your doc about it.