Baby Names

Opinions on Reagan

2»

Re: Opinions on Reagan

• edited May 2016
    Brynn was on my list. 

I liked parker for our son but we went with something different. 

We chose Marlowe for our girl. I love Hadley, Haddie & Harper. 
  • I love the name Reagan!

I don't immediately jump to thinking of Ronald when I hear it.  I do think of the girl from the Exorcist and the princess in King Lear.  But not in a bad way.

Piper, 4/10/10
    Connor, 3/16/15
    Morgan, EDD 9/22/16

• Loading the player...
  • All of the above. It's trendy, it doesn't sound appealing, it doesn't look appealing, and it reminds me of Ronald Reagan, so it is masculine to me. I think Brynn is great. Parker, Blake, and Rowan are also way too masculine IMO.
    I know this name was big a while back. I know lots of 10-15 year olds with the name. How long does a name have to be used before it drops being called 'trendy'? No snark, just curious?! Maybe the word trendy means different things to different people? I think of clothes that are instyle for a few months then out of style. 

OP my nieces name is Blake. She is the most beautiful girly girl!! My sister gets complimented on her name DAILY! It 150% fits her perfect. My vote is on Blake. 
  • LoveLee85 said:
    All of the above. It's trendy, it doesn't sound appealing, it doesn't look appealing, and it reminds me of Ronald Reagan, so it is masculine to me. I think Brynn is great. Parker, Blake, and Rowan are also way too masculine IMO.
    I know this name was big a while back. I know lots of 10-15 year olds with the name. How long does a name have to be used before it drops being called 'trendy'? No snark, just curious?! Maybe the word trendy means different things to different people? I think of clothes that are instyle for a few months then out of style. 

OP my nieces name is Blake. She is the most beautiful girly girl!! My sister gets complimented on her name DAILY! It 150% fits her perfect. My vote is on Blake. 
    Reagan had sporadic use since the 60s, has consistently been in the top 1000 since 92, its rapidly gained usage, and has been common since like 03. Given how most name trends go, it will probably start dropping off in the next 5 to 10 years as people find it too common and not "strong" enough, names like James, Ryan and Blake will pick up and take its place. 
  • To me its a masculine sounding name, just no pretty sounding at all. And all of the above.
    This.
    DX PCOS Jan 2012
    IUI #1 Feb 2012= DS1 born 11/2012
    Unmedicated BFP (first post-weaning cycle)=DS2 born 9/2014
    Unmedicated BFP (first post-weaning cycle again)= EDD 11/2016
  • @Bringmemylongswordho Thank you for reaponding! So, would it be accurate to describe trendy names as top 30 names, no matter how long they stay on the list? Or just names that are on an upward/downward swing over a few decades? Lol 

I get names that feel 'time stamped'. I also understand 'popular' names just by placement on the SSA.gov list of baby names. 
  • LoveLee85 said:
    @Bringmemylongswordho Thank you for reaponding! So, would it be accurate to describe trendy names as top 30 names, no matter how long they stay on the list? Or just names that are on an upward/downward swing over a few decades? Lol 

I get names that feel 'time stamped'. I also understand 'popular' names just by placement on the SSA.gov list of baby names. 
    Its, generally more how fast they climb and how long they stay combined with proportional usage. If you look at Ashley,  it had sporadic use until the 70s, skyrocketed in the 80s, and began dropping in the 90s and is still fairly high usage. But because of how high Ashley was used in proportion with other names, it has a significant bell curve when you look at its usage over time. If you look at a name like Madison,  it has a similar curve just 20 years off from Ashleys. 

Reagan is showing a similar pattern (though not as significant as Ashley ) hence why I consider it trendy.
  • Thank you so much for that!! @Bringmemylongswordho
  • DunkinDecafDunkinDecaf member
    edited May 2016
    This may come off as controversial, but I promise I'm not trying to stir anything up. I just want to understand...

When someone uses the phrase "gender reveal" here, legions of women come out of the woodwork to say "it's sex, not gender" because the generally accepted belief here is that sex is assigned, gender is a choice. So why is it such a faux pas to give a girl a more masculine name or to give a boy a more feminine name? It seems like if one truly believed in gender neutrality, the socially accepted gender of a name wouldn't matter.  
    "It's sex, not gender" is just true when talking about finding out what kind of genitals your child has via an ultrasound or genetic blood test. It doesn't mean you have a problem with gendered names and clothing. The two words have different definitions. Sex is what genitals you're born with, and gender is about who you are. You learn one at the ultrasound, and the other a few years later once your child's personality begins to blossom. Parents almost always choose gendered names and clothing that match their child's sex (because the vast majority of people grow up to be cisgender). Sometimes the parents turn out to be mistaken, and when the child is a little older they let them know that they're transgender, and in those cases the person almost always changes their name and clothing to reflect their true gender. I don't think it's wrong to choose a feminine name for a child with a vagina, under the assumption that that child will probably not be transgender. If you turn out to be wrong, they can and probably will ditch your name in favor of a more masculine one.

Also, Reagan is nms but there's nothing actually wrong with it. If you love it, go for it

edited for clarity
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I know two girls named Reagan and they are very sweet.  Ages 6 and 2.  I don't have a strong opinion about this name either way, but feel it does have a conservative-leaning political feel to it.  This could be a good thing!  Or a bad thing!  Depending on your beliefs.  Both families I know who have daughters with this name are very supportive and proud of the Republican party.  I think it makes a bit of a statement.  This might be what you want, which would be good.  If it's not what you want, just know that to some people it sends a message.  

Love Brynn!  And you mentioned the double "n."  I especially love the double "n" spelling!

I actually think Blake is a gender neutral name (unlike most responses on here).  I know a few girls with that name.  Mostly boys, though.  

I agree with the other posters that Parker and Rowan are solid boy names.  100% boy.  
    DD #1 Eva- April 2011
    DD #2 Violet- October 2013
    DD#3 Due New Year's Eve 2016