September 2015 Moms

Eating .....

Lo has days where he can't stop eating. Today is that day, he's eating so much. And on days like today, he'll eat anything....cheerios, pureed food, my food....if he's next to someone eating, he opens his mouth and whines until he's given some. Plus bottles. Then on other days, I can barely get him to finish just a 4 oz bottle. And he'll turn away from food, especially anything not pureed.

I don't remember dd doing this when she was a baby, she does it all the time now that she's a toddler.  Any other lo's like this? Is this a thing? On the days he doesn't eat much I get so worried.

Re: Eating .....

• Ds1 was super hit or miss (still is) beverages never have been a problem  but with food if it's not what he wants, he will take forever to eat it, or not at all.  There will also be days where I can't feed him enough.  

1999- Dx Prolactinoma

8-25-2012 - Lucas born via C-section at 38 Weeks 2 days
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• We've never had days where she can't stop eating, but we definately have days/weeks when she easier to feed and eats more and when she's harder to feed and eats less. We are currently in a harder to feed stage. She's finishing her 5 oz bottles, but man I have to just about stand on my head to get her to do it. She takes in just enough to not be hungry anymore and then has places to be and mischief to make. We use a lot of distraction techniques to keep her busy while she finishes her food ie: singing songs, walking around the house and showing her stuff, holding special toys up in front of her. But man, I'd give just about anything to have her just take a bottle and be done with it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My boys do that when they are going through a growth spert. Except they dont finish their bottles for a whole week. -yeah! Scary! But thats how i know that soon i will need to up their milk/solids.

Also, do you have like a feeding schedule for his solids? I was noticing that i was feeding my boys formula & solids too close together so they werent finishing their milk. I cut a bottle out & just  added 2 oz to one of the other feeds.

So before their schedule was 
    -between 3-6am a 6oz bottle
    -930am 2oz of rice cereal mixed w/ purees & a 4oz bottle (BREAKFAST)
    -1245pm 2.5oz purees &1pm 4ozbottle(LUNCH)
    -430pm a 4oz bottle
    -6pm 2oz purees(DINNER)
    -8pm 6oz bottle

Now its:

-between 3-6am 6oz bottle
    -930am 2.5 rice cereal w/ purees & a 4oz bottle. (BREAKFAST)
    -12pm 2.5oz purees(LUNCH)
    -2pm 6oz bottle
    -6pm 2-2.5oz purees(DINNER)
    -8pm 6oz bottle
    & they are finishing every meal.

I worried alot when they did this for the first time where they wouldnt finish their bottles.& their doc told me that as long they're having enough dirty & wet diapers they're fine. my boys have done this 3 times a weeks worth each time since they were born & they are always fine.  If you're super concerned maybe talk to his doc.? But i think he's okay.
  • Definitely not worried about dirty diapers, this boy has no problem there! I do my best with a schedule, he fights naps or falls asleep when I don't expect him to, so we're still figuring that out 

And yes, sometimes we're practically wrestling him to take the bottle. He fights so much , but if we take it away he gets mad. While he's in the high chair, he's usually ok, unless his sister is there, then he just wants to watch her. 

Thanks everyone, probably nothing to worry about. I just have to remind myself he's not the same as his sister.
  • When he can't stop eating, I know a growth spirt is happening lol
  • Yeah that's what my boys do, they don't want the bottle but when i take it away they cry. & i understand, I'm like "how are they so different from DD! They're siblings." lol
  • I feel like I'm feeding a calf! Can't wait til he starts holding the bottle, I know he can, he's just lazy.
  • Lol same here! Feeding 2 baby's back to back its exhausting. They used to take 30 min to eat each. Now its between 10 & 20 minutes. & If I'm holding their bottle a way they don't like they snatch it & hold it themselves. i tell them " i don't care, hold it yourself better for me!" lol i know they don't understand but i still tell them lol.
  • I'm BFing, so I can't really coax LO to finish a feed. If she's distracted she twists around (ouch!) and I can't take that, so I just stop and offer later. I try to go somewhere quiet and boring to eat, and she always has a full feeding right before naps and bedtime. For solids it totally depends on her mood and what we're having, I don't stress about it.

DD1 had 3 weeks this winter where she ate snacks all day, plus full adult servings of meals-even stuff she normally just picks at. Then her pants were all too short, and we were like "Oh! Of course!" It was like we forgot that kids keep growing haha. Now she's back to hit or miss eating, but its balanced, so I know she wont starve. I was very neurotic when she was dropping feeds around a year. Anytime she wouldn't eat food I would near-panic because I didn't know if I had enough supply to compensate. I rarely had to give frozen milk, if she didn't eat she just wasn't hungry. I'm much more laid back with this baby :smile: 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker