BBT troubles — The Bump
Trying to Get Pregnant

BBT troubles

OPK estimated O yesterday or day before so I expected a rise in temp today. But my sleep was fitful and I kept waking up and going to the bathroom. I take my temp at 6am every morning but after 45 mins of being awake and up and down I saw it was 5:50! So I slept for a solid 50 mins and took my temp then. It was 96.47, which would be no temp rise. Then I fell asleep again and two hours of solid sleep later woke up and got a 97.05. 

So which do I use? The temp with 40 mins of sleep at the right or the two hours of sleep at the wrong time? I know missing a temp wouldn't be a huge deal normally but it's my first month charting and I wanted to confirm I was ovulating so it sucks to mess up the temp after my estimated ovulation.

Thanks for the help.

<3  Me: 30 | DH: 28  <3
Together since 2013 | Married 2014
TTC since March 2016
1 cycle of Clomid 50mg and TI, unmonitored by OBGYN= BFN 
Dx: unexplained & mild MFI | Rx: Femara w/ trigger & IUI
1st IUI:  BFP. Chemical Pregnancy
2st IUI: BFN
3rd IUI: BFN
1 round femara 7.5: BPF!
Due date March 2018

Re: BBT troubles

• This is the perfect kind of question for the WTO or TWW threads. However, to answer your question, I think it kind of depends on the person whether consistent time or amount of sleep has more of an effect. For me, taking my temp at the same time even if I didn't have enough sleep gives me better temps than the wrong time but enough sleep. But I've seen other people say it's the opposite for them.
    Me: 27   H: 26
    Foster Care process
    Licensed: June 2017
    FS 1 placed with us: January 2018
    FS 2 placed with us: March 2019
    RatsPJBusinessWife
  • I had a TON of those mornings this cycle - I always charted the first temp I took and just entered the second temp in the notes for the day.  
    Me:29  DH:33
    Married: 3/1/14
    TTC #1: 4/16
    Dx PCOS (Non IR) 10/16
    5mg Femara + Ovidrel + IUI + Progesterone: 11/16 = BFN
    5mg Femara + 75 IU Gonal-F + Ovidrel + IUI + Progesterone: 12/16 = BFN
    5mg Femara + 150 IU Gonal-F + Ovidrel +IUI +Progesterone: 1/17 = BFN
    Preparing for IVF - Birth Control: 4/17 Stims: 5/17 
    IVF retrieval 6/17: 21 eggs retrieved, 20 mature.  17 fertilized with ICSI.
    7 blasts biopsied for PGS.  6 Healthy Embryos frozen for FET.
    FET of 1 embryo 7/12
    BFP on 7/17/17 Beta #1 10dpt = 524 Beta #2 12dpt = 1432 US at 5+5 shows healthy baby with heartbeat. Baby girl due 3/30/18 

FrancesGrace630izza2
  • Loading the player...
  • I would say chart the first temp you took and then add a note with details of the time and what your 2nd temp was. That way you can watch what your temps are doing over the next few days and change it if you think its necessary. 

Me: 28 DH: 29
    Married: August 2014
    TTC #1 Since March 2015
    Diagnosed with PCOS March 2016
    SA results normal April 2016
    3 rounds clomid + trigger + TI = BFN
    3 rounds clomid + trigger + IUI = BFN
    Uterine polyp removed July 2017
    Round 1 IVF January 2018

FrancesGrace630MrsDho11izza2ChaoticWolf
  • I agree with all the PPs, chart the first temp. You need at least 3 hours of solid sleep in order to get an accurate reading. I set my alarm for earlier than I usually ever wake up and take it at the same time every day. If I ever have to wake up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, I'll take it before I get up and, if I'm not able to get another 3 hours of sleep, use that temp as my daily temp and make a note on that day. The key is consistency/3 hours of sleep.