November 2016 Moms
Options

FTM- books?

Any recommendations for books to read for a FTM? I've been so exhausted I feel like the most uninformed pregnant person..(I'm really not- in the medical field so know some info but think I need more). What should I be reading? 

Re: FTM- books?

• Options
    Baby books or childbirth? I liked some of the sections in Ina Mays guide to Childbirth. I'm not super crunchy so some of it I skipped over, but the birth stories are fun to read, and I loved most of the birth essentials chapters. Just a different way to think about childbirth vs what we've experienced in the doctors office and from the media.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Katemr1146  Thanks for the recommendation!.. I'm thinking anything regarding pregnancy, childbirth, parenting an infant.. all of the information I can get! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Dr Dan's Last Word on Babies and Other Humans. I can't recommend it highly enough. It's the best. I'm rereading it now. It covers pregnancy through childbirth, and the baby's first year. It's good, sane advice and it's also kinda funny!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm really liking my copy of Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy. It's very medically sound and not alarmist, and it's easy to pick up, read a bit, and set down in between my seemingly never ending naps. There aren't many anecdotes, but it gives really down to earth advice as to when you need to contact your provider and what to expect each week. 
  • Options
    I really enjoyed the womanly art of breastfeeding. And if you use/love devotionals I highly recommend "Waiting in Wonder: Growing in Faith While You're Expecting" to every expecting mama!

• Options
    Thank you ladies for the suggestions!
    @Chcaggie1 thanks for the devotional recommendation- I've been looking for a new devotional to start, since I finished one recently! :) 
  • Options
    So I'm more of a humor book kind of girl and recommend Pregnancy Sucks: What to do when your miracle makes you miserable. Very funny and easy to get through. There is also a version for the Dad's that my DH found hysterical and informative.

Me: 30 DH:31 DD:3
    3/6/16 BFP 
    EDD: 11/14/16

• Options
    For preparing for raising a baby/child: The Happiest Baby on the Block and The Whole-Brain Child
  • Options
    I really loved Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child.  There are tons of other sleep books out there.  Sleep was one of the biggest difficulties for most people on my BMB with my first child, and bringing a baby home with ideas of what we thought about things really helped H and I.  No one had the energy to read anything after being at home with a newborn for awhile.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    I second @mollysm rec for healthy sleep habits. You need to have a sleep game plan for when abby comes home. Hopefully, you will have a sleeper. But if not, you will be too tired at that point to formulate a plan. Make one before. For birth, I like Ina May a lot for the positive attention it gives unmedicated birth but there needs to be a chapter in there that says whatever birth ends of being yours is the right one. No guilt or sense of failure. Where I got the most useful information for birth was from my childbirth education class. It was an involved class once a week for 3 hours for 8 weeks. H and I loved it so much. The nursing mother's companion is essential if you plan to breastfeed. Honestly, I never found a pregnancy book I loved. I read the whole pregnancy handbook. Info was good but its disorganized. What to expect is not very accurate or informative but its simple or organized well. I have not read, but heard great things about expecting better. 
  • Options
    I read that stupid Jenny McCarthy one and don't recommend it. It was super dumb. I do recommend Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, especially if you are considering a natural birth. 

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MollySm said:
    I really loved Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child.  There are tons of other sleep books out there.  Sleep was one of the biggest difficulties for most people on my BMB with my first child, and bringing a baby home with ideas of what we thought about things really helped H and I.  No one had the energy to read anything after being at home with a newborn for awhile.  

This! I researched EVERYTHING in detail with my first pregnancy except SLEEP! and guess what?? we did not get a good sleeper :-/ At 14 months he still doesn't sleep through the night, but we have come a really really long way. I heard so many ppl talk about sleep deprivation I just assumed it was what it was and we would "sleep train" once he was older IF we needed to. Well, along the way we developed some bad habits. Lets just say researching good sleep habits we can start from day 1, is at the very top of my priority list this time!

If anyone has a good sleep book that also focuses on sleeping habits of breastfeeding babies, I would love to hear about. Last time I was very concerned about encouraging long stretches of sleep b/c I didn't want my supply to be impacted. The little bit I did read didn't address how to deal with breastfeeding and good sleep. They referenced scheduled feeding which we did not do, we did on demand feeding.

• Options
    I'm copying and pasting from a Seattle area board I've been on for a long time. This is our stickied "favorite books and other resources" post.

In addition to the below, for breastfeeding I really found The Nursing Mother's Companion useful.

For fun, I enjoyed How Eskimos Keep Their Babies Warm: And Other Adventures in Parenting. I also enjoyed Bringing up Bebe.

Books
    Ina May's Guide to Childbirth: amzn.com/0553381156
    Penny Simkin's Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn: amzn.com/143917511X
    Hypnobirthing: amzn.com/0757302661
    The Birth Partner: amzn.com/1558323570
    Mayo Clinic Guide to a healthy pregnancy (this is a week by week book): www.amazon.com/Mayo-Clinic-Guide-Healthy-Pregnancy/dp/1561487171/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364405595&sr=1-1&keywords=mayo+clinic+guide+to+a+healthy+pregnancy
    Natural Hospital Birth: The Best of Both Worlds: www.amazon.com/Natural-Hospital-Birth-Best-Worlds/dp/1558327185/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364405655&sr=1-1&keywords=hospital+birth

And Baby Makes Three: amzn.com/140009738X

Baby's First Year: amzn.com/0553593005
    Baby 411: amzn.com/1889392413
    The Wonder Weeks: amzn.com/9079208043

Websites
    Pregnancy/Labor
    Penny Simkin wrote the (literal) book on labor and delivery. And she lives in Seattle. And she teaches labor and delivery classes. www.pennysimkin.com/

Breastfeeding
    www.kellymom.com/

Cloth Diapering Info
    allaboutclothdiapers.com/
    www.greenmountaindiapers.com/

Car Seats
    www.thecarseatlady.com/
    www.nhtsa.gov/cps/cpsfitting/ak/map/FindFitting.cfm?q_State=&q_Zip=98117 (Of note, the Car Seat Lady will go to your house. All of these (as far as I know of) are free. But the Car Seat Lady thinks it's nice to be tipped, just fyi)

Mommy Blogs/General Information
    www.lucieslist.com (particularly the postpartum entry: www.lucieslist.com/the-postpartum-experience/ as well as her registry check list)
    www.hellobee.com
    Alpha Parent's Timeline of a Breastfed Baby: www.thealphaparent.com/2011/12/timeline-of-breastfed-baby.html
    Alpha Parent's Sleep Timeline: www.thealphaparent.com/2013/01/timeline-of-baby-and-toddler-sleep.html
    www.thewonderweeks.com/ - I've heard the phone app is more useful than the book fwiw.

Child Care
    www.care.com

Eating/Food
    wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/index.htm

• Options
    @Chcaggie1 Oh mama I feel your pain. I'm assuming your question regarding breastfeeding and sleep to mean this: a sleep plan that takes into consideration the notion that breastfed babies eat more frequently. Tell me if I'm wrong. But if not...
    I breast fed my son while sleep training. I fed on demand all the time including all night until 4 months. At that point my son went through an awful sleep regression and woke up every 45min for weeks and weeks. It was unbearable and H and I decided to sleep train at that point. We did CIO and it worked great. He went from waking 12 times a night to two, which we stuck with until he was 10/11 months old and then did the water method (which i've mentioned in other posts). My feeling was that the twice a night wakings were for hunger and I fed then. He still was fed on demand all day and actually, all night, because he was only waking twice to "demand" a feeding. I'll give you my personal (and my pediatrician's) opinion but you may disagree. I think the idea that breast fed babies need to eat all night just perpetuates the damaging idea that mothers who breastfeed are beholden to their children's needs above their own to the point of their detriment. Sleep is essential. for all. Just because your breastfed baby wakes in the middle of the night doesn't mean that he/she is hungry or needs to eat. There is a lot of information out there that encourages breastfeeding women not to sleep train because it contradicts with breastfeeding. That is garbage. Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child speaks to breastfeeding mothers and definitely takes it into consideration. I really liked that book. But i also think that most sleep training books are applicable to breastfeeding relationships. But it requires dispelling the idea that you must breastfeed on demand all night in order to properly nourish your breastfed baby. And whether you are comfortable with that is up to you. 
  • Options
    Thewizardofrhythm  that is exactly what I meant by my question! Thank you so much. that's super helpful and I will definitely be reading Healthy Sleep Habits before this lo arrives. Theres so much info out there that will make you go crazy questioning yourself. I feel Iike this time (being a second time mom) I will be able to loosen up a bit and not be so "rigid" on trying to follow every tiny rule.

• Options
    I read Jenny McCarthys book too and I DO recommend it for a light funny read. Although I'm not a fan of hers (she lives in my town and everyone around here follows here around) her honesty about the graphic side of pregnancy no one talks about was funny and relatable. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I cannot recommend Happiest Baby on the Block enough. For pre-birth, I also liked Ina May and Expecting Better by Emily Oster. Honestly, and infant books you're interested in, read them now. You'll be tired and already panicked by the time they are here!
  • Options
    Another big fan of Happiest Baby on the Block. It's a sleep book FYI. And they have a DVD that I hear is great because it's short, you can watch with your SO, and it shows exactly how babies loved to be swaddled and swayed!
    Awesome Kid #1: Born September 2013!
    Awesome Kid #2: Due November 2016!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you for all of your wonderful suggestions. I'm looking these all up on Amazon! :) They will definitely help me be informed about baby birthing, feeding, sleeping by the time this little one arrives! 
  • Options
    I really liked Baby 411
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married 7/2012
    DS born 11/2013
    Ectopic , right tube removed 8/2015
    BFP 3/2016
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I second Baby 411, they had a great, simple chapter on sleep and DS slept like a champ from 4 months on. They also have Expecting 411 and Toddler 411, I have them all! 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker