Baby Names

Which spelling

Maya or Maia? (pronounced My-uh)

i think Maya looks better, but DD is Layla and hubby thinks Layla and Maya look way too similar. 

What do you think? Does it matter if the spellings are similar? Is Maia a legit spelling? 

Re: Which spelling

• I thought Maia was pronounced May-uh, but I'm not sure. I've only seen this name spelled as Maya or Mya. I prefer Maya. 
    Yes, Layla and Maya are close in sound and in spelling. Both are nice names, but too close imo.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • I think they're too close in sound too regardless of spelling. I prefer Maya to maia.
  • Loading the player...
  • Maya for spelling.  I think Maya and Layla are too close no matter how it's spelled.
  • I agree too similar regardless of spelling.

• I'm gonna go against the grain, and say I don't think they're too similar. If it was Lilah then yes. Also, I would just go with Maya. 
    My furchildren, Dorothy and Johnny :)
  • Too close, and Maia would be may-uh.
  • I don't think they are too similar, either. I'm kind of confused about that. I get how they look similar but they don't sound similar at all to me. I would still stick with the Maya spelling though. 
  • I would also go with Maya, and I don't think they're too close either.
  • I would use Mya, but I agree that the sounds are very similar. Too close for me.
  • I agree that are really similar no matter the spelling. 

And I'm gonna go against what PP have said. I think Maya would be pronounced May-ah
  • I think Maia is fine if you're worried about Y's. It can be pronounced "my-uh" and spelled with an I. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFkjEuuZ4p8

Spelled with an I, it's a Greek mythological name, vs a civilization in Latin America.

I don't think it's too similar to Layla.

In my head, Mya is "mee-uh".

• Do people also think Kaia is too similar to Layla? That's another of our top choices. I don't really hear the similarity but a lot of people seem to, that definitely makes me second guess!
  • Do people also think Kaia is too similar to Layla? That's another of our top choices. I don't really hear the similarity but a lot of people seem to, that definitely makes me second guess!
    I would honestly suggest looking for something that isn't two syllables with -a sounds in both syllables. 
  • @Bringmemylongswordho, Kaia is one of my favorite girl names! I prefer it over Maya/Maia. DH vetoed it unfortunately  :(
    BabyGaga
  • Maya. But they are too close.
  • I think I'm the odd one out but I don't find Maya or Kaia too similar to Layla. They're both 2 syllables and end in "a" but a lot of parents do that because they like a certain name style. The spelling of Maya looks similar to Layla but they have different pronounciations so to me, it's no biggie and I wouldn't think it's weird. If hubby is still worried about them looking the same, Kaia is also a beautiful name. 
  • I like both Maya and Maia and dont think its too similar to Layla since Maya is My-uh and not May-uh.
  • I do not like Maia as a spelling for a name pronounced My-uh.  
    We said "I Do" on 9/27/2008!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As for LOOKING too similar when spelled out - how often do you write down both of your kids' name next to each other?  Holiday cards, annnnnnnnd.....?  I can't think of another time. 

When you introduce them - the SOUND of each name is different enough that no one will focus on the spelling.  
    We said "I Do" on 9/27/2008!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Of the two spellings that you are considering, I would go with Maya, although I prefer Mya.
  • Too similar. Maia would be pronounced "May-a," as previous posters pointed out.