January 2016 Moms

Chiropractic tx for colicky baby?

What's y'all's take on this? My 3mth old has colic & reflux. Zantac worked for 3wks but it's all starting to come back & she's doing that painful cry again. 

Re: Chiropractic tx for colicky baby?

• We did the chiro, and I'm glad we did. It's really interesting to see how she did it. Other than being turned upside down (which she liked,) she slept through the rest of it. We did see same-day results.
  • On another note, we were able to discontinue going once we were introduced to paced feedings. LO is formula fed, and the bottles were just too fast for her. She was gulping down huge amounts of air. Now that we stop the flow for her, she's much better.
  • Loading the player...
  • Baby is on the more severe end of colic and has HORRIBLE reflux. We were up to 0.75 mls, 3 times a day and there was no improvement. She is not on 2.5 mls of omeprazole, once a day. It's been almost a week, no improvement. I'm taking her with me on the 12th to a doctor I've been seeing for close to 10 years. He's not a chiro, but specializes in spinal manipulations. He insists that a little work on her and she'll be a different baby...
  • Zantac dosages have to be changed frequently.  You may want to check with her Dr to see if changing the dosage might help. 
    Married March 19, 2011
    TTC off and on 04/14
    BFP 06/13/14 MC 06/15/14
    BFP 12/14/14
    1st Appt 01/13/2015
    M/C 1/19/15 D&C 1/20/15
    BFP 5/13/15
    1st Appt 06/10/2015 Peanut has HB 150
    A/S 09/02/15 It's a Girl!! Low placenta, but everything else great!

IAmPregnant Ticker

• I heard of it, some people swear by it. If the reflux and colic are that bad then I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.
    Keep in mind that zantac is weight sensitive and needs to be adjusted with weight gain. I'm surprised by how most pediatricians DON'T mention this. I found out on a mommy blog.  
    There are lots of things you can do to help with reflux, I'm not sure if you're familiar...
    -Use gravity to help, prop your baby up laying LO at an incline, I wouldn't flat. My DD is 6 months and has never slept flat on her back. We've had to prop her up and lay her on her left side. Only recently has she been able to sleep at an incline on her back. 
    -Laying LO on the stomach is most comfortable position but I only allow her to sleep that way for naps when I'm able to keep a close eye on her. Also she still needs to be inclined, I use a very firm flat pillow. Again I watch her very closely, never leave LO unattended while doing this.
    -When feeding tilt LO to the left.
    -Burp LO throught the day not just during feedings.
    -Feed LO less more often and make sure they burp well.
    -Some pediatricians recommend putting a little cereal in the milk to help keep it down. I never tried it but heard it works.
    There are other things I didn't cover, don't rely on your pediatrician to tell you. The Internet and mommy blogs are great sources of information.
    Hope you're able to get baby some relief, reflux is horrible. 
    Good luck to you!
    31 yrs. /DH 38 yrs.
    SI TTC 7 months 
    DD born 10/2015 @ 27 wks. 4 days > severe pre-e (TTC 1yr.)
    Hystero./Laproscopy/Ovarian Drilling/ D&C/ HSG (2/2015)
    Present:
    DX: Moderate Endo./ PCOS/ Diminished Ovarian Reserve(1.2 amh)/ Low Morphology (0%)
    HSG (3/2017)- All Clear
    RX: Follistim (75iu)/ Trigger/ IUI/ Progesterone
    Starting 1st IUI cycle Friday 4/28

• -When feeding tilt LO to the left.

I am so glad I read this. The doctor never diagnosed my LO with reflux bc for the most part she is considered a "happy spitter." She has always spit up a ridiculous amount, but has actually doubled her birth weight in 3 months so the pedi was never concerned. However, sometimes when I feed her on my left breast - meaning she is laying on the right - she screams and arches her back and won't eat. I have found that if I put her in football hold on that side she is kind of on her left side or back and does fine. I thought it had to do with side preference as that side flows slower, but this makes so much more sense! Thank you!! I won't get frustrated or worried now, just make her comfortable. 

Does anyone notice that your LO's reflux is much much worse in the car seat? The second I put her in there - no matter how long after a feeding - she spits up a ton. My car seat is covered in puke! 

• Does anyone notice that your LO's reflux is much much worse in the car seat? The second I put her in there - no matter how long after a feeding - she spits up a ton. My car seat is covered in puke! 
    Yup. Brynlee spits into the stinking clip every time. 

Also, her dose for Zantac had been changed many times, it just wasn't working at all. She's also fed in nearly a sitting position and is kept upright for at least half an hour after feedings. She absolutely cannot be on her belly. She screams the most awful scream I've ever heard. Even if only for a few seconds, once I pick her up, she gurgles and spits up profusely. 
  • ctmamaoftwoctmamaoftwo member
    edited April 2016
    Yep. the car seat is def a huge trigger and not just when buckling in at first but the whole time he's in it. 
  • Oh yea, my girl friend laughs at me bc I am constantly cleaning the puke off of my LO while we are out and she is in the car sest. Do you guys think I should push the pedi to investigate it further? Or no. I'm not sure meds would help the puking and since she is not seeming in pain idk it's worth it. 
  • Haha, right? I swear half of the photos I have of him he is mid spit up. Figure I'll save them for a perfect moment. ;)
    but If she's not in pain or gags on it frequently I personally wouldn't do medicine. But on the other hand I know the Nexium is really helping my baby. His cough and stuffy nose from it is much better and we have a lot less major spit ups and he no longer wakes himself up gagging on his spit up. Also, switching to the Dr Brown narrow bottles helped too (but a major psi in the ass to clean)!
  • amberjinnett said:
    Also, switching to the Dr Brown narrow bottles helped too (but a major psi in the ass to clean)!
    Amen. The anti-colic bottles are great. Clearly, not the whole answer to my LO's issues, but helpful no less. They are the worst to clean though! I run soapy water through each piece, scrub the bottle, then run everything through my sterilizer (God, I love that thing).
  • BarrettJ89 said:
    I run soapy water through each piece, scrub the bottle, then run everything through my sterilizer (God, I love that thing).
    I read the sterilizer warps the vents and can cause leaking so I've been scrubbing all the pieces by hand like crazy. Your way sounds MUCH easier! Have you had any issues?
  • BarrettJ89 said:
    I run soapy water through each piece, scrub the bottle, then run everything through my sterilizer (God, I love that thing).
    I read the sterilizer warps the vents and can cause leaking so I've been scrubbing all the pieces by hand like crazy. Your way sounds MUCH easier! Have you had any issues?
    I had never heard of that, but yes. Only 2 vents so far in 4 months. But I haven't bought even a single one of the bottles. I get them with coupons from Babies R Us. Almost every holiday, they have a coupon for a free holiday designed bottle with a $15 purchase. Well, when formula is $39 a can that lasts only 3 days, we stock up on free bottles. Baby doesn't care about her bottle having a jack o'lantern on it!