May 2016 Moms
Options

Update on the itching issue--and a big WTF?!

For those who saw my post in the 3rd tri symptoms thread, I went to the doctor for all-over itchiness yesterday afternoon.  She wasn't overly concerned since I haven't had symptoms till now and said the blood tests results would take so long to come back they wouldn't be much good (I'd be almost 38 weeks at that point).  Since I have very dry skin, and tested as anemic in 2nd tri, she said that's probably a lot more likely what the problem is.

Now for the WTF.  As I was getting ready to leave, my doctor said she's in kind of an argument with the hospital right now--basically, they think she's getting too old to deliver her patients, and want to have some other doctors from a larger practice do the deliveries.  Um, WHAT?!?  I picked my doctor for a reason!  I know she's not happy about it either, but she said right now it looks like the hospital is winning and she is letting everyone 36 weeks or over know.  Giant, giant, WTF over here, is all I can say!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Update on the itching issue--and a big WTF?!

• Options
    WTF indeed! Is she able to recommend any of the ones that will be taking over the deliveries??
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't know all the details but I would guess they worry about how quickly she's able to get around.  She walks with a cane and moves slowly, and I admit it worried me at first, but she really won me over with her experience and competence.

I really like the hospital's birthing center, and they seemed super focused on "doing what mom wants" when I toured, so this just seems bizarre to me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Is there anyone you could contact at the hospital and let them know you would still like her to deliver? She knows your medical history better than anyone. That seems very unfair. 
  • Options
    Is it possible that your doctor can be present and oversee the delivery while someone else does the actual physical part of it? I delivered at a teaching hospital this time and a resident did the actual delivery with two doctors literally over her shoulder. Admittedly it freaked me out a little at first but in the end it meant I had 2 residents, 2 doctors and 1 nurse present so I felt well looked after. 

Maybe that's an option you can present? While my first labor was a little more intimate and that's my preference it seems like the decision is out of her hands and this might be a good solution to making you feel more confident. 
  • Options
    I agree with @JessicaB0627.  At least the doctor is letting you know, but I would inquire about who you can contact to tell them that you want your doctor to do the delivery.  On the off chance that you have an emergency situation, that's really beyond your control and any doctor could be delayed, so the cane argument is pointless.