January 2016 Moms

Flipping In Bed

So my daughter has been able to roll for quite sometime now she's 3 1/2 months but this morning daddy got up and told me to come to the crib so i did our daughter was sleeping on her belly 180 degrees from the opposite way I put her down. She spun around with her legs up where her head had been when I put her down. She did have her head turned to the side so she was breathing that's just scary I don't want her to not get turned over good enough or something we do have a sids alarm so if she would stop breathing it will alarm us or if she moves to far from the sensor it will go off. Anyone elses baby doing this now?

Re: Flipping In Bed

• My daughter's the same age and we aren't there yet. She's only rolled over a handful of times, and not during the night. We will see! Following for advice when the time comes.
  • cali1710cali1710 member
    edited April 2016
    Im the same as @kimber308 shes only rolled a handful of times but I fear the day she does it in her crib! My question is, do we check on them throughout the night and flip them back over if we see they have rolled? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes! This started a couple of night ago. We found him sleeping on his side then about 2 days later we woke up to find him on his stomach. Consequently, bed time past couple of nights have been a struggle. There are times when the moment he hits the crib mattress, he flips to his stomach. Even if we get him to sleep on his back, he rarely stays that way. It's like there's a magnetic force pulling him tummy down! Other than my husband's initial suggestion that one of us stay awake all night on guard (literally found him awake at 5 am doing chores because he was too scared to sleep) the best we can manage is making sure his head is turned to the side so he can breathe....But he's actually pretty good at doing that for himself. We're first-timers, so we don't really know what to do, but we *have* increased the amount/frequency of tummy time during the day to make sure he has the strength to adjust himself if necessary. 
  • jodiedrich18jodiedrich18 member
    edited April 2016
    This has been our life the past 3 weeks or so, ever since LO learned to roll from back to belly but can't do the reverse to get back to her back. And let me say when she is awake, she is OBSESSED with showing off this skill. She will flip immediately to her belly when I lay her down for sleep if she's not good and drowsy and doesn't get a pacifier placed in her mouth quickly enough (go figure, she will not roll right then if she's got the paci and will go to sleep on her back or side....she may roll when she wakes again, but by then she's making noise to eat). LO often sleeps on her side and we've found her in completely different positions before like you mentioned. What helps me lately is I place her on her back closer to the side of the crib with the side she prefers rolling on and give her a paci. She turns on her side but her feet stop her from completing the roll because they will lean against the crib slats. My DH and I have checked her many times and her face is fully away from the mattress looking straight ahead. I don't particularly like her on her side either, but I have to strive for some amount of decent sleep with working full-time. I have flipped her once or twice when I found her on her belly still asleep.
  • My son started rolling from back to belly earlier this week. He's 15 weeks. I worried a lot about him sleeping in his crib and rolling onto his face, but everything I read basically said that if they got that way on their own then they're fine to sleep on their tummies. Also not to go in and flip them, and to still lay them down on their backs. My little guy has been sleeping on his tummy 100% of the time this week. He will not stay on his back for more than 2 seconds.
  • My son started rolling from back to belly earlier this week. He's 15 weeks. I worried a lot about him sleeping in his crib and rolling onto his face, but everything I read basically said that if they got that way on their own then they're fine to sleep on their tummies. Also not to go in and flip them, and to still lay them down on their backs. My little guy has been sleeping on his tummy 100% of the time this week. He will not stay on his back for more than 2 seconds.
    This. Everything I've read also says if they got there themselves is okay. My LO is a side sleeper. She immediately rolls to her side. She's had this preference since the day she was born.  I stopped using her wombie though the one time I found her on her stomach. 
    Married March 19, 2011
    TTC off and on 04/14
    BFP 06/13/14 MC 06/15/14
    BFP 12/14/14
    1st Appt 01/13/2015
    M/C 1/19/15 D&C 1/20/15
    BFP 5/13/15
    1st Appt 06/10/2015 Peanut has HB 150
    A/S 09/02/15 It's a Girl!! Low placenta, but everything else great!

IAmPregnant Ticker

• If a baby is strong enough to not only roll from back to belly, but get themselves completely turned around, they should be fine. Just keep your crib empty of unnecessary items, and you'll be good. 
  • Baby boy has been rolling back to belly for a couple weeks now. He has been rolling onto his belly in his crib a few times per night over the last couple nights.  Problem is, he only seems to do this when he is kind of awake (or maybe it wakes him up?) and then because he can't roll back onto his back he grunts and gets pissed off and starts to cry eventually so we have to get up and roll him back over. I'm not really concerned for his safety perse because he makes a fuss and is strong enough to keep his head up awhile or turn it to the side to breathe but it means I'm up 2-3 extra times just to flip the kid over! If he'd just learn belly to back I think we'd be ok. 
    Have tried putting him closer to side of crib that he rolls towards but he just ends up wriggling himself over so he can still roll over...and he's in a sleep sack (not a swaddle one, arms completely free)
    Im glad we got the video monitor so I can at least see if that's the problem when he's grunting in the night (vs gas) before getting out of bed but I'd just like to go back to the days of just getting up to feed the little guy instead of all this rolling business.