Baby Names

Girl's Name After My Mom

kbdukekbduke member
edited April 2016 in Baby Names
So I think I might have gone down the baby name rabbit hole. My mom passed a few years ago and my DH and I were thinking that if we have a girl we will name her after my mom. My mom's name was Beverlie. So originally we decided on Everlie. Then I started looking at different spellings and well... let me know your thoughts!

Girl's Name After My Mom 118 votes

Everlie
31% 37 votes
Everly
61% 73 votes
Everleigh
5% 7 votes
Everlyse - completely different name, I know
0% 1 vote

Re: Girl's Name After My Mom

• Big thumbs down on Everlyse and Everleigh. Stick with Everly or Everlie (only because the -ie is after your mom).
  • Loading the player...
  • Generally I would go with the traditional spelling, trust me the cutesy spellings drive me nuts too.

But there are two issues, one is that my mom's name ended in -ie. The other is that my MIL's name is Beverly. We are very close with her but also with my step-MIL. I feel that if we used Everly it would hurt my step-MIL's feelings (she's pretty sensitive to stuff like this) because it's spelled like my MIL name. I would honestly rather avoid the whole drama involved with that.

I'm also open to any other name ideas that are reminiscent of Beverlie - I'm definitively not tied to the name but am coming up blank with any other ideas.  
  • bbiutmcph said:
    I'm not a fan of this name at all but at least spell it Everly so it's not spelled cre8tively 
    Yes, this
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Also, why not just use Beverlie? I know it's old school, but it's not a bad old school name, and she is much more likely to be one of the few in her class / grade / age group. As opposed to being one of the million Everly's that are running around now.

Also, condolences for your mom but congrats on your baby
  • I personally don't like this name. I'd use Beverlie or middle name it.
  • The reason for no Beverlie is because the middle name is Beatrice (after my grandmother and my middle name). Beverlie Beatrice is a little much....
  • Why not just use Beverly as a mn? Everly is Everly regardless of spelling so I'm not really getting less drama with the i.e. Everly is ver close to Beverly and to outsiders it's going to look like a nod to your MIL as well.  I just think Beverlie in the middle honors but avoids any potential drama you are fearing 

• But you don't have to use Beatrice. Unless you are set on honoring your grandma and yourself over your mother. (Looks harsh in print, I don't mean it harshly)
  • B/c of all the issues surrounding the name , I'd prob pick 1-2 people to honor instead of 3-4. It's just too much. IMO.
  • It's kind of asking a lot to be named after 2 people. Your husband doesn't mind that it has to be these 2 names and he basically gets no say in a new name?
  • I would use Beverlie as a MN and get rid of Beatrice, or use Beatrice Beverlie.  I think if you change the name significantly (other than switching between male and female forms of the name) then it kind of loses significance.  And I don't like Everly/Everlie.  
  • If I were in your position I would go with Everlie because it honors your mom. I would absolutely do that for my mom also. And Beatrice is fine as a middle name. My daughter is named after more than one person and nobody has had any negative comments at all about it.
  • kbdukekbduke member
    edited April 2016
    Beatrice as a middle name is a tradition in my family and one I will definitely be passing on. I'm trying to find something for a first name to honor my mother as well.

As for the y/ie spelling difference, to any rational human it wouldn't be a big deal but to my step-MIL it would be huge. I don't mind it as much but would prefer not to have to deal with the ensuing drama surrounding it.

As for my husband, we agreed that if we have a girl, the name is from my family and if a boy then the name is from his family. We're both fine with the autonomy of that. I don't absolutely adore his name choice for a boy but it means a lot to him so I'm happy with it.
  • What about Beatrice Beverlie? 
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Is your mom's middle name Beatrice too?
  • Yea your step MIL can definitely quit acting like a 5 year old because the last 2 letters of a name are after someone other than her. Seriously. Don't encourage her craziness and use the name and spelling you want.
  • If your step MIL is that irrational, I imagine she is going to be bothered no matter what spelling you use because they are all basically just Beverly without the B. Even if you change the last two letters it still sounds the same. She's going to hear the name more often than she sees it written. So just go with whatever you like best. I personally prefer Everly, but I understand that Everlie would honor your mom more.
    Anniversary 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Honestly I'd pick something different just to avoid the MIL stuff.
  • Honestly I'd pick something different just to avoid the MIL stuff.
    I agree. It sounds like Beatrice is also a nod to your mom and her family so it's a great way to honor yet avoid the name that will likely cause you a headache. 

• If you're set on Beatrice as the middle name and like the name Beverlie as the first name then I would still go with that. Meaning trumps flow, and honestly, the middle name won't be used that often. Everlie or Everly are both nice. I just feel like Beverlie would mean more and agree with PP that it would decrease possible drama.
  • I never support youneek spelling or derivation from the actual name of the honored person but family trumps. Everlie Beatrice is a lovely family name while still allowing your daughter to have a separate identity from your MIL. Go with your original plan! So many people fall into the overthinking trap after a "final" name is chosen.
  • kbduke said:
    Generally I would go with the traditional spelling, trust me the cutesy spellings drive me nuts too.

But there are two issues, one is that my mom's name ended in -ie. The other is that my MIL's name is Beverly. We are very close with her but also with my step-MIL. I feel that if we used Everly it would hurt my step-MIL's feelings (she's pretty sensitive to stuff like this) because it's spelled like my MIL name. I would honestly rather avoid the whole drama involved with that.

I'm also open to any other name ideas that are reminiscent of Beverlie - I'm definitively not tied to the name but am coming up blank with any other ideas.  
    I would just go with Everlie then!
  • Thanks everyone!
  • If you like Everlie and it avoids drama then use it. DONE

• Go with Beverlie and honor your mother. If anyone wants to pitch a fit make it clear she's named after your mother and they need to grow up if they are even thinking about acting out. I don't see how removing the B honors your mother, her name was not Everlie. 

I don't think Beverlie Beatrice is too much.
  • Eko14Eko14 member
    I IIke Everleigh best. Has the same kind of sound as a nod to your mom but gives her her own name and that can't be disputed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Beverly.
  • If not for your reasoning, I would have said Everly, but Everlie isn't too much.
  • What about saving Beverlie for a mn for a possible 2nd daughter?  Or are you done after this?  
    Me: 1979 * Husband: 1976 * Little girl: 2010 * Little guy: 2013 * MMC: 2016 * Last baby: EDD 2/11/17!  
  • I voted Everly but the spelling Everlie is totally fine too. I think it is a cute name and a sweet nod to your mother. 
  • I don't understand naming a child after someone "but not really".  I think if you want to name her after your mom, just name her Beverlie.  You could still use nicknames "Ev" or "Evie" if you intended to shorten anyway.
  • I don't like Everlie because all I see (and I cannot unsee it) is ever lie. 
  • I would go shorter still and name her Ever. Guilty pleasure name of mine and I know a sweet and sassy little girl with this name.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I think Everlie spelled this exact way is a nice name and a nice way to honor your mom. I've never heard this name before and the ie spelling doesn't look wrong or offensive at all IMO. That it uniquely identifies your nod to your mom makes it very sweet.  Good luck :)
  • Just being honest, with the alternative spelling all I see is 'Ever Lie'. Love what you are trying to do tho!