November 2016 Moms
Options

Europe and alarmist American food warnings

My husband and I would like to do one more big trip before baby. Zika has eliminated just about everything to the south for us, so we're thinking Europe. I visit Paris once or twice a year, and I think we're just going to do an easy London-Paris thing... it's familiar, we have friends there, we've both been so there is less pressure to cram in a ton of sights, etc. I'll be 17-18 weeks along. I was feeling great about the decision but reading up, the internet is like: "No salads! No fresh vegetables in France! Toxoplasmosis!" This seems alarmist to me, but does anyone have experience with this? I am prepared to deal with limited cheese options, but fresh veggies? Really? (I will also talk about this with a medical professional, I just know many of you are well-traveled with experience here. This is my first pregnancy.) Thank you!

Re: Europe and alarmist American food warnings

• Options
    I travel extensively- mostly in developing countries (which France is NOT)- and my food precautions change very little once I get pregnant. 

I don't eat street food. Just don't, no matter how good it smells.

I don't eat salads in a country where I can't drink water from the faucet.

I exclusively drink bottled water in developing countries (usually that's all you're offered, including in Paris). I also brush my teeth with bottled water.

When pregnant, I know the nearest hospital and ask the hotel or my host what I should do in case of emergency.

I never leave home without Ciproflaxin, a prescription anti-diarrheal. That stuff has saved my life on more than one occasion. Very easy to get an RX from any doctor.

I've been to Paris during both pregnancies. Remember, pregnant women in France are eating salads. 
    DX PCOS Jan 2012
    IUI #1 Feb 2012= DS1 born 11/2012
    Unmedicated BFP (first post-weaning cycle)=DS2 born 9/2014
    Unmedicated BFP (first post-weaning cycle again)= EDD 11/2016
  • Options
    whaatwhaat member
    You have a bigger risk of listeria with veggies than deli meat but I still think it is alarmist (to avoid either). Do you really think pregnant women in Paris are giving up wine and brie? Do you think women in Japan stop eating sushi? 
    There are risks to everything but you can't let that stop you from living.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    whaat said:
    You have a bigger risk of listeria with veggies than deli meat but I still think it is alarmist (to avoid either). Do you really think pregnant women in Paris are giving up wine and brie? Do you think women in Japan stop eating sushi? 
    Nope, I don't. Just curious how other Americans navigated this. 
  • Options
    @muybueno thanks. Someone told me they tell french women to stop eating salads in restaurants, and even if I did believe that, I figure it has more to do with trusting the restaurant than the produce itself. Appreciate the reassurance. 
  • Options
    Before I got pregnant, I read the book Bringing up Bebe which is an American woman living in France and she discusses the different cultures especially regarding what to eat during pregnancy. Since you are going there, it might be a great chapter for you to read. Basically, its more about just being smart and conscious about your food than actually abstaining from anything. 

(I highly recommend the book as it was easy to read and perfectly fits my planned style of parenting.)
  • Options
    I live in Paris and have tested negative for taxoplasmosis (which is more common here than in the US). Doc told me to wash vegetables and only eat steaks well done. So nothing to panic about. 
    Anniversary
    TTC since January 2015
    3/15/2015 BFP!
    4/15/2015 MMC  :'(
    2/25/2016 BFP! Hoping for the best!
  • Options
    @PurpleBrunette I love that book! I have read it twice, second time with notes :) Should have paid more attention to the food part, less attention to the cadre. Thank you! 
  • Options
    I will add tho that the relative acceptability of smoking and occasionally drinking during pregnancy in France shocks me as an expat. 
    Anniversary
    TTC since January 2015
    3/15/2015 BFP!
    4/15/2015 MMC  :'(
    2/25/2016 BFP! Hoping for the best!
  • Options
    @kmmnocal Oh excellent! Yes, she doesn't spend much time on the food while pregnant, but I believe it was at least one chapter. It was more of a attitude she expressed about it that they have which is how I'm approaching food anyways right now. But she did expressly mention some of the things you are asking about today.

I am so glad to hear of someone else who read that book. I'm planning to read it again because I want to make sure I really understand the cadre

Good luck and have fun!
  • Options
    whaatwhaat member
    kmmnocal said:
    whaat said:
    For clarification, "you" wasn't "you". I know you don't think this, which is why the question was asked. I personally eat salads and deli meat here. I take sips of beer and wine occasionally here. I would do whatever you do here. Unless there's like.. a much higher rate of problems/miscarriage from those things there (which I doubt).
  • Options
    I visited China while pregnant with my first, where the water really isn't that great. I avoided the water and soft cheese, but had everything else. We stayed with family who worked for the embassy, so they had safe water brought in. If I was going to London or Paris I won't even think of avoiding anything that I wasn't already avoiding in the US. My first seems to have turned out okay despite his international travels. I think it's just using common sense.
  • Options
    Not to take away from the France/Europe theme of the thread, but I did see mention of sushi. I used to live in Japan and quizzed my friend and 2x mother 1x grandmother about the dietary restrictions her doctor suggested. They mainly avoid larger predator fish (eg. tuna) and are clear to eat the smaller or "cleaner" seafood that have lower levels of mercury, like shrimp and salmon. If that helps anyone who is craving sushi and has a reputable spot to go whatever country you're in ;).

I'll be there around the 5 month mark and am looking forward to a bit of sushi and sashimi!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    whaat said:
    kmmnocal said:
    whaat said:
    For clarification, "you" wasn't "you". I know you don't think this, which is why the question was asked. I personally eat salads and deli meat here. I take sips of beer and wine occasionally here. I would do whatever you do here. Unless there's like.. a much higher rate of problems/miscarriage from those things there (which I doubt).
    Ok cool. That's actually what I was asking about, maybe not as clearly. A few things I read were about vegetables specifically, and higher rates of toxoplasmosis. I wasn't sure if there was some sort of French nuance I hadn't heard or needed to understand before we went there.