October 2016 Moms

Anyone have any experience with Wellbutrin?

I had my second tri visit yesterday with my OB & when she asked if anything unusual was going on, I mentioned my constant bouts of sadness over the last several weeks & she got very concerned. She wrote me a prescription for Wellbutrin to take "if I feel it's necessary". She was adamant that it's perfectly safe during pregnancy. DH wants me to get on it immediately, but after reading the side effects, I'm not so sure. It's a Class C & I just don't feel great about that. Plus the normal common side effects are: insomnia, constipation, headache, increased frequency of urination, loss of interest in sex, itchy skin, etc...all issues that I'm already experiencing so in NO way do I want to make them worse. DH's argument is, "If you're already having those issues, what's the big deal?"

Just curious if anyone has taken this previously or is taking now, and what your opinion might be.

Re: Anyone have any experience with Wellbutrin?

• I've taken it in the past (not while pregnant) and I had the least amount of symptoms on it compared to other anti-depressants / anti-anxiety meds. I'm glad you spoke up about how you are feeling, and I would speak to the ob or nurse there about your concerns.  Hopefully someone else has experience to share with you.
  • I am so very proud of you for acknowledging it and speaking up. I took Wellbutrin while not pregnant and while it wasn't the medicine for me, I had no real ill effects. The side effects generally clear up in a week or two as your body adjusts. I remember yawning a lot but not necessarily being tired, and my sleep was normal. I have debated going on something because my anxiety is horrible and I had PPD/PPA after my son, but I'm not sure. Right now I'm trying to adjust my day and find time for me, keep active and eat better but if it isn't helping I'll do low dose medication. Either way I'll ask for something to have on hand for after I give birth because I fought it without medication or support from anyone.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • Loading the player...
  • I took it while not being pregnant and it worked great for me. But as I was getting ready to start trying to have a baby my doctor switched me to Prozac because it is safer for the baby.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I took it several years ago (not pregnant). I don't remember any really negative side effects that I experienced on other meds, but it ultimately didn't work for me. 
  • I was on it a few years ago. I didn't have any I'll effects at all, and actually it pushed my sex drive up really high. It just didn't work well for my depression, but I came to realize a lot of what I was experiencing was situational and couldn't really be helped with medication. My best friend took it her entire pregnancy and while breastfeeding with no issues!
    BabyGaga
  • I used to take it during each winter when not pregnant, and didn't have many side effects except dry mouth from what I remember. The thing to keep in mind though, since I'm not sure exactly what instructions you got that translate into if you feel it's necessary....it's not a PRN medication or some kind of short-acting, as-needed thing. I think you should talk to your doctor some more about your concerns, safe medical and non-medical treatment options, and how to take as prescribed. I hope with whatever treatment you choose, you start to feel better in the next few weeks!  <3
  • Have you considered going to a psychiatrist who specializes in this before taking the medicine?  Hope you feel better!
  • I took it before, not while pregnant. It made me feel like a zombie but I was on a fairly high dose. I was constipated and it gave me zero appetite so I lost weight. Not the greatest thing while pregnant. I think everyone reacts differently. I would suggest therapy because they will help you discover what is causing your sadness and maybe you can work on that? Good luck to you
  • I loved it when not pregnant. My doctor prescribed it to me in lieu of treating my subclinical hypothyroidism (my TSH had not yet gotten up to 5). I loved it because it gave me tons of energy, lifted my mood, and helped me to lose weight. I didn't have any of the bad side effects associated with it.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• Thanks for all the advice & support ladies! I have actually started seeing a therapist & am working through some issues. Hoping to avoid meds but it's nice to know it's at least an option, if it comes down to it.
  • NoraAuroraNoraAurora member
    edited April 2016
    wellbutrin is great (IMO, I have used it in the past) but I would NOT take it while pregnant - I'm too lazy to cite the studies, but I've read a couple that basically give it a much higher risk profile in both pregnancy and while BF'ing than zoloft or prozac. 

According to latest research, zoloft is really the go-to for use in pregnancy and breastfeeding, safety-wise. However you should also know that studies made in the past year have suggested that use of SSRI's during pregnancy (and soon before conception) may increase the risk of a child developing autism (possibly this is why she Rx'd wellbutrin?).

At the end of the day, it's all about risk vs benefit. If you are at risk of self-harm, self-neglect, or neglect or harm of children (if you have them) then it's obviously better to be on meds. If therapy, healthy diet (DHA, vitamin D, lots of greens etc), exercise and utilizing a good social support network is enough to help, then well...do that. GL and I hope you get the help you need (I too suffer from depression/anxiety that is intensified during pregnancy...I blame it on previous loss + hormones). It sucks.
  • I used to take it during each winter when not pregnant, and didn't have many side effects except dry mouth from what I remember. The thing to keep in mind though, since I'm not sure exactly what instructions you got that translate into if you feel it's necessary....it's not a PRN medication or some kind of short-acting, as-needed thing. I think you should talk to your doctor some more about your concerns, safe medical and non-medical treatment options, and how to take as prescribed. I hope with whatever treatment you choose, you start to feel better in the next few weeks!  <3
    ^^^This.  I was on Wellbutrin XL for about 8 years up until last year.  I was happy with the results, however I did find the brand name to be more effective and easier on my stomach than the generic.  Perhaps all Wellbutrin is not created equally, but I was on the extended release version and it is mean to be taken every day.  I'd ask for some clarity as well.  All that said...when I shared with my psychiatrist that my husband and I were interested in TTC, he felt the risk to the baby too great and gave me instructions to step down from all of my prescriptions (Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Xanax) prior to TTC.  I had some very difficult struggles with depression since being off of my meds, but those tapered radically with my BFP.  I wish you the best, and thanks for coming forward.
  • I took it while not being pregnant and it worked great for me. But as I was getting ready to start trying to have a baby my doctor switched me to Prozac because it is safer for the baby.
    Weird. I was on generic Prozac before getting pregnant and weaned off as soon as I found out. My doc suggested Welbutrin as the safer alternative if I decide I want/need to go on something during pregnancy. 

I'm going to try to stay off of all of it anyway until after breastfeeding, but we'll see how it goes. 

Good thoughts & vibes to everyone dealing with depression and/or anxiety right now. <3 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• First, you're awesome for speaking up about this. Anxiety and depression are so very difficult and taking the steps to rectify them is hard. 

My friend is on Wellbutrin and she has sung its praises, saying that it has helped her tremendously and with very little side effects, moreso than any other pill she had tried. She was trying to come out of a very bad place of deep depression and this really helped her. I don't have any personal experience with it but I hope it helps you and I wish you so much luck with it. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers