October 2016 Moms

Stocking up - part 2

I know we are all excited about our babies and getting everything ready for their arrival. But the stocking up on diapers post made me think. Rather than stock up on diapers which may or may not work for your kiddo, consider this.  Stock up on stuff for YOU. You will get diapers and clothes as gifts anyways. 

Here are some of my ideas on what you can stock up on now:
toilet paper and paper towels
cleaning supplies
laundry detergent (you don't need dreft. And free and clear is fine)
shampoo and body wash
deodorant
You will need pads (I liked always infinity after I had DD)

a few few weeks before delivery, stock up on pantry staples
freezer foods
pet food and litter

feel free to add things below. These are just my ideas. Believe me, the last thing you will want to do is a toilet paper run at midnight 1 week PP. 

Re: Stocking up - part 2

• This is a great list idea... but it also makes me very thankful we have Amazon Prime Now.  I've also run out of tp at the last minute so I now hide emergency rolls all around the house in various cabinets and closets. I wonder how long it will be from when you have the baby(ies) to when you feel ready to get out and run errands.
  • Loading the player...
  • I love this! 
    Me: 26 ; FI: 27
    DS1: 5 ; DS2: 4m
    Baby #3 Due 9/7/17

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Amazon Now FTW!
  • annabenannaannabenanna member
    edited April 2016
    I third Amazon Prime and Prime Now!  Don't know what we'd do without it.  We have everything almost on a "subscribe & save" basis on Amazon, from detergent to body wash to razors to coconut water.  Ha.

Prime Now (which is the grocery shopping app) is also a godsend for those of you who have it in your area.  Grocery shopping from bed, to have it delivered to your doorstep the following day is amazing. 
  • I've said before- Amazon prime and Netflix are the only two universal must haves for new moms (or moms of new babes, more specifically). 

Other good things to have when we get closer: freezer meals & padsicles. Underwear you don't care about staining. Nipple pads and nursing bras, nipple cream. Lactation cookies- maybe pre make the dry mix, or make sure to have ingredients on hand. Lots of snacks that you can eat one handed...early nursing makes you a starving beast. 
  • I second most of these. Definitely Lanolin and almonds (good pick-me-up when nursing makes you starving) and pads...and take as many pairs of mesh underwear home from the hospital as they will give you. LIFESAVER. My nurses gave me 20 pairs. It was wonderful. 
  • Oooh @NoraAurora , pre-making the dry mix for lactation cookies is such a great idea!  I can't imagine wanting to bake stuff from scratch the next few months after giving birth.  
  • +1 for Amazon Prime and Amazon Now.  That being said, we hit up Costco around 33 weeks and stocked up on EVERYTHING. TP, paper towels, freezer meals and snacks, laundry detergent, toiletries, etc.  I also didn't make freezer meals with DD, but we will be doing that this time.

Me: 28  DH: 27
    TTC since 2011
    IVF #1 June 2013 DD born: 2/25/14
    IVF #2 January 2016 Double Transfer: 1/28/2016
    First Beta: 108 Second Beta: 360.3
    Twins EDD: 10/13/2016
  • Wait...what is this Prime Now you speak of?!? I need this in my life. Off to explore Amazon...
    Me {32} DH {34}
    Married 05/2014

PCOS baby due October 09, 2016
    Beta #1: 22.5
    Beta #2: 74

• @PCOSbaby , it's an app from Amazon, but you have to download it separately (not the same as Amazon app).  Depending on your area, it tells you which grocery stores  are available that work in conjunction with Amazon.  It is AMAZING.  Minimum of $20 and free delivery!  Usually same day delivery. :)
  • @annabenanna Its unavailable in my city. :'( Hopefully it will be available by October. It sounds awesome. 
    Me {32} DH {34}
    Married 05/2014

PCOS baby due October 09, 2016
    Beta #1: 22.5
    Beta #2: 74

• PCOSbaby said:
    @annabenanna Its unavailable in my city. :'( Hopefully it will be available by October. It sounds awesome. 
    I looked into it too and we don't have it either. :s I LOVE my Amazon Prime. I'm actually getting a delivery this week. ;) Amazon Now would be too convenient and I would probably never go to the store again lol.
     Countdown to Baby H!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mommy to Elizabeth (6/18/09), preemie at 34 weeks
    Wife to Dan (10/4/14), together since Dec 2010
    Anniversary 
    Working Mom
    BFP Feb 2016, Due Mid-October
    Team Blue!

• @NoraAurora  Lactation cookies are a THING? You mean I get to eat cookies just because I'm lactating!??! I'm in!

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• @von1976 you also get an excuse to sip dark beers before 5pm if you like them, the yeast is good for lactation
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • A few more things we liked to have a bunch of:

hand sanitizer. I just don't always have time/ the ability to get to a bathroom or am around a bathroom during diapers or feeding to wash up.

paper plates or dishwasher soap. I couldn't keep up with dishes even with our dishwasher (because I was too tired to unload it) last time so we used a lot of paper the first month.

Dish soap. Lots of meals at home, lots of bottles, lots of pump parts, lots of dirty toys. Also dawn is awesome on clothing stains.

Coffee, tea, water flavor packs etc. You are going to be thirsty and cranky and no one wants to hear you have no more coffee.

Tylenol, ice packs, breast pads, dermoplast (the blue one), tuck pads.

Wipes. You have 2,000 of them? go buy 1,000 more. They clean everything for years to come.

Burp cloths. In our case it was those cheap thin receiving blankets. I ended up with maybe 30 of them because my kid was a puker. It was nice to never run out of them and I could keep on in each car, bag, and floor of the house.

• samkinssamkins member
    edited April 2016
    Lactation cookies, who knew??!! I just looked it up and saved some recipes. I'm going to make the dough ahead and freeze. 

I also learned about padsicles, so I'll be making those as well. 
  • Lactation cookies are the bomb. Also, just my two cents, but I found adult diapers to be waaaay way way more convenient and comfortable than giant pads postpartum. Also, with adult diapers you don't have to worry about staining underwear. I know wearing a diaper sounds super lame but I switched to them after two days with giant pads and the diapers were an enormous improvement. I switched back to pads when the bleeding slowed and I didn't have to use the big awful kind anymore (took at least 10 days, maybe more like two weeks for me, I bled a lot). Especially for sleeping, it felt like I wasn't wearing anything additional and the diapers cut down on any potential leakage as well. Ah, the joys of motherhood!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I will leave my fav recipe here. These are NOT low fat/low calorie/low carb/low anything...but they are yummy AF.

• Piperella said:
    This is a great list idea... but it also makes me very thankful we have Amazon Prime Now.  I've also run out of tp at the last minute so I now hide emergency rolls all around the house in various cabinets and closets. I wonder how long it will be from when you have the baby(ies) to when you feel ready to get out and run errands.
    So much this. Amazon prime is your best friend. If you don't have it, get it. And sign up for Amazon Mom (free with prime), and Amazon Fresh (extra $) if you can swing it. I'm fairly certain I had packages delivered on a daily basis with random things I decided I needed, food and toiletries. :)

We had our first outing at 2 weeks old, but it was just to get some takeout because I was going stir crazy. We started going out regularly around 4 weeks old with LO in the Solly Wrap, and 8 weeks with baby in the stroller for the world to see. I was still pretty cautious and covered the car seat or bassinet. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married to DH for 6 years (together for 16)
    DS born 12.13.14
    DD born 10.15.16
    BFP 1.24.18, MC 3.13.18
    <3 BFP 4.25.19, EDD 12.31.19  <3

• So this is probably a stupid FTM question, but, WHAT exactly is going to be leaking out of me so rapidly that I need mega pads and/or diapers?! Leftover placenta? Extra uterine lining? How long does this last?!
    I saw disposable mama panties at the drug store last weekend but naively thought they were for at the hospital when your water breaks... 
    DS#1 born 05 October 2016
    DS#2  due 25 April 2019
  • So this is probably a stupid FTM question, but, WHAT exactly is going to be leaking out of me so rapidly that I need mega pads and/or diapers?! Leftover placenta? Extra uterine lining? How long does this last?!
    I saw disposable mama panties at the drug store last weekend but naively thought they were for at the hospital when your water breaks... 
    Lol. Well technically the term is "lochia," but basically you're just bleeding for GD ever. I bled for 8 weeks. Most people don't bleed as long- probably 4-6 weeks-ish. If you consider the massive increase in surface area of your uterus during pregnancy, and relate that to length of a period...well then it kind of makes sense. It sucks and it feels like an eternity. 
    Lol. Well technically the term is "lochia," but basically you're just bleeding for GD ever. I bled for 8 weeks. Most people don't bleed as long- probably 4-6 weeks-ish. If you consider the massive increase in surface area of your uterus during pregnancy, and relate that to length of a period...well then it kind of makes sense. It sucks and it feels like an eternity. 
    It also is t just blood and won't just be red. No one told me it turns yellower toward the end and I freaked out.

• coffee89 said:
    So this is probably a stupid FTM question, but, WHAT exactly is going to be leaking out of me so rapidly that I need mega pads and/or diapers?! Leftover placenta? Extra uterine lining? How long does this last?!
    It also is t just blood and won't just be red. No one told me it turns yellower toward the end and I freaked out.
    Oh joy, can't wait! Haha. THANK YOU, BTDT moms for answering all of our FTM questions!!
    DS#1 born 05 October 2016
    DS#2  due 25 April 2019