April 2016 Moms
Options

Ultrasound weight estimates

I just want to let you know my ultrasound experience. 

Yesterday morning I had a growth ultrasound and they estimated him at 7 lb 13 oz at 38+6. 

I gave birth 7 hours later and he was 9 lb 4 oz.

Don't always believe what you hear!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Ultrasound weight estimates

• Options
    Yes, ultrasound estimated weight can be +- 2 lbs I've heard.
    I had an ultrasound at 38 weeks with an estimated weight of 6.10. Baby girl was born at 40+1 and weighed 7.1. 
  • Options
    amaniupendoamaniupendo member
    edited April 2016
    Mine was off over a pound based on projections. (Don't have the same-day one.) he was smaller than measured.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a US at 36+3 and they said he was 6lb, 8oz. He was born at 38+6 and was 8lbs, 5oz. So mine was pretty close, considering LO is supposed to gain a half pound a week during the last 4 weeks of pregnancy. 

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

• Options
    DD was estimated 6#4 at noon on Friday and was weighed in at 6#3 just before midnight Saturday. DS only had the anatomy scan at 20 weeks. 
    Anniversary 
  • Options
    At 36 weeks DS was estimated to be 6.8. He was born at 39.4 and weighed 8lbs even after 2 BMs. Given that they gain about half a pound a week after 36 weeks, they were pretty close. They said f they had weighed him before he pooped, he would've been closer to 8.3-4. 
  • Options
    At 38+2 they estimated DD2 was 7lbs1oz, she was born 38+6 at 6lbs10oz. Wasn't too far off, but I'm glad she was a little smaller and not bigger

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    At 36w3d estimate was 6lb14oz. He was born at 40w1d and was 7lbs on the dot. So way off. 
    DS born on 4/16/16

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Agrees.  The scan I had at 38 weeks said she was 9.5 lbs give or take an lb.  She arrived at 39+5 and was 8 lb 8 oz.  
  • Options
    My last ultrasound was done on a Friday, estimated 6.6 lbs. I had an emergency c-section the following Tuesday and he was 5.9 lbs. Not terribly far off, I guess.
  • Options
    I was told at almost 37 weeks that he was 6lbs. He was born at 40w1d and weighing 7lb1oz after being told he went though a huge growth spirt.... Now if babies at that point grow .5 lb a week, he should have been almost 8lb... But he wasn't... And I even had gestational diabetes.
  • Options
    My growth u/s at 38 weeks estimated 8 pounds, 12 oz. I delivered by c/s exactly a week later and DS was 8 pounds, 3 oz. It seems that my OB was closer with his two second "hands on my belly" assessment of 7-7.5 pounds at my 37 week appt.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My doctor doesn't even do estimates because he says they're so unreliable... he said the mother's estimate has just as good of a chance of being correct as their estimates do. 
  • Options
    Our estimate was 6lb 12oz. Had baby within 24 hours and he came out 6lb 7oz so not too bad. 
  • Options
    2 weeks before LO was born they told me she was 7#4 oz per my ultrasound 

when she was born she was 7#4oz so I'm sure she was smaller at my ultrasound but it did end up being exactly right 
  • Options
    So from what I'm reading, most of the estimates were higher than they should have been?? At 36+2, he was supposed to be 7lb4oz, so I've been fearing a 10lb baby!
  • Options
    I had multiple ultrasounds which said my baby was big. My ultrasound at 34w4 days measured 6 lbs 12 ounces. My ultrasound at 40 W showed 9 lbs 2 ounces and my LO was born 41 w 4 days weighing 9 lbs 8 ounces so mine seemed fairly accurate. I had a vaginal birth and he was sunny side up so a difficult delivery but no csection needed. Good luck!
  • Options
    tml1234 said:
    I had multiple ultrasounds which said my baby was big. My ultrasound at 34w4 days measured 6 lbs 12 ounces. My ultrasound at 40 W showed 9 lbs 2 ounces and my LO was born 41 w 4 days weighing 9 lbs 8 ounces so mine seemed fairly accurate. I had a vaginal birth and he was sunny side up so a difficult delivery but no csection needed. Good luck!
    I delivered a 9lb, 5oz baby who was sunny side up, too. That was uncomfortable :)
  • Options
    Weight estimate on 4/20 was 7#11. Born early morning of 4/22 and was 8#2. Still looked smaller than 8#2! 
  • Options
    I didn't have an ultrasound at the end but my doctor guess the baby to be around 5lb a month before I gave birth and she was 6lbs 3ozs.